voting rights

Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: voting rights

To those arguing against the vote, have you ever considered that our mere presence abroad, our language and values, can be seen as carrying out British Diplomatic Strategy? In a way we're representatives of our country, can attract business back home. Even the British Council is seen to use £1 of tax payers money and bring back in £2.4.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 11:12 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Not arguing against, however I'm also not arguing for. The 15yr rule has not changed since I left. My pension is in the Bahamas, and my property is in mainland Europe where I pay an annual wealth tax on, but if it ever gains in value, no capital gains tax, and no inheritance tax if I gift it to spouse or children. The locals are belligerent and money grabbing so those rules are unlikely to change. So, beyond paying a fortune for passports, I have very little interaction with the UK so I struggle to understand why I should theoretically be able to affect what a region's MP will be (given UK does not yet have proportional representation).
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 7:38 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
You were forced to leave UK to look for work? What someone put a gun to your head?
"Loyalty, patriotism, care, concern for ones own people, sentimentality" Since you made your choice to leave the UK the only one of those reasons which can be true is sentimentality. If you were truly loyal, patriotic, cared for the UK and concerned for it's people you would have stayed.
Anyway as Sue says, welcome to BE and the ME in particular. How do you find things in the Magic Kingdom? Most of our contributors think it's a hellhole
I kinda like it.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 7:41 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Fully agree. I've been away since 1996. The uk is like a foreign country to me when I return. I don't believe I have the right to vote in a country that feels like that.
Similar length of time away as yourself. I just don't really care what happens there so as such feel no desire to influence things. And what does a vote for a party much like any other really achieve, and in most of the country your vote is fairly meaningless and won't change things anyway. How many marginals are there at each election.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
You should be asking for a report on the scheme (not always possible but at least ask) you are in (is it private or government, final salary or defined contribution?). Has this 'shark' (that inspires confidence!) conducted a retirement analysis with you to not only see where this pension might fit but also your wider plans and goals? ('fixing the proverbial door while the walls are crumbling' is something I have seen a lot of).

I'm a qualified Financial Planner with a decade of experience. Obviously without knowing your exact situation it's hard to make a judgement - I'd say get a second opinion as the very fact you called the person you have been speaking to a shark tells me you're not happy with them let alone their ability to give you the best advice for you.

N.
Thanks for that ... After finding out about the company (I wont mention the company name but there are on the board with a lot of negative feedback) i think i will let him swim somewhere else !

Last edited by UKCityGent; Aug 24th 2014 at 12:11 am.