British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Veggies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/veggies-807871/)

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2013 5:17 am

Re: Veggies

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10881307)
Park and Shop next door :) makes life much easier.

their vegetable section is poor though and pricey ;)

The_Citizen Sep 2nd 2013 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10881315)
their vegetable section is poor though and pricey ;)

It isn't the best but as Scamp has said I'm a lazy git as well :)

Meow Sep 2nd 2013 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10881289)
I knew I could rely on you two lovely ladies.

...and yes Blue Cat; I am a lazy git. Driving from Business Bay to Lulu's seems crazy when there must be good stuff in between.

Meow; Is the Co-Op at Safa any good for veg? I only really buy cleaning stuff there...

Yes it is. Not as big an area or as well laid out as the newer Barsha Co-op but excellent prices for loads of things. Check out the tea, pasta, tinned foods and toiletries too. And if you want reasonable meat than Choitrams is next door.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 2nd 2013 5:54 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10881326)
It isn't the best but as Scamp has said I'm a lazy git as well :)

Park and Helmet is a favourite of mine, just very lumpy.

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10881331)
Yes it is. Not as big an area or as well laid out as the newer Barsha Co-op but excellent prices for loads of things. Check out the tea, pasta, tinned foods and toiletries too. And if you want reasonable meat than Choitrams is next door.

Good shout, thanks for that. I like that Choithrams too, just the chicken isn'nt as good as Spinneys/Waitrose I don't think.

My word I'm fussy, but thanks; hadn't considered tinned stuff from there too. :thumbsup:

LaLaLayla Sep 2nd 2013 6:54 am

Cannot go to Lulu after they had a whole aisle full of skinned rabbits last time I was there. I spent all day trying to work out what kind of animal they were. They had their eyes, everything. Just awful.

Is the organic veggie market still next to Dubai Garden Centre on Saturdays? You can buy organic meat there, too.

shiva Sep 2nd 2013 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10881343)
Park and Helmet is a favourite of mine, just very lumpy.

Good shout, thanks for that. I like that Choithrams too, just the chicken isn'nt as good as Spinneys/Waitrose I don't think.

My word I'm fussy, but thanks; hadn't considered tinned stuff from there too. :thumbsup:

spinneys chicken is shocking quality, pumped full of water and salts in an attempt to make it look juicy.

If you press a finger into a chicken breast it shouldn't feel mushy or soft, neither should the label included any ingredients other than chicken, if it says, water, salt and a few e numbers then the chicken has been plumped.

personally i find spinneys chicken unpalatable

plumping

disgusting

this isnt ****ing food

Millhouse Sep 2nd 2013 7:22 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10881384)
spinneys chicken is shocking quality, pumped full of water and salts in an attempt to make it look juicy.

If you press a finger into a chicken breast it shouldn't feel mushy or soft, neither should the label included any ingredients other than chicken, if it says, water, salt and a few e numbers then the chicken has been plumped.

plumping

disgusting

this isnt ****ing food

I'm with you there. The size of the breast is a give away too. They are massive.

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2013 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10881390)
I'm with you there. The size of the breast is a give away too. They are massive.

I buy fresh chicken every week at Lulu, it's not like chicken at home but it's not too bad.

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2013 7:30 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10881378)
Cannot go to Lulu after they had a whole aisle full of skinned rabbits last time I was there. I spent all day trying to work out what kind of animal they were. They had their eyes, everything. Just awful.

Is the organic veggie market still next to Dubai Garden Centre on Saturdays? You can buy organic meat there, too.

do you mean a chilled display cabinet in the butchery section?

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 2nd 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10881384)

plumping

disgusting

this isnt ****ing food

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10881390)

I like it.

It's nicer than the stuff at Choithrams which shrivels to a thumb size lump after 15 minutes in the oven.

Meow Sep 2nd 2013 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10881395)
do you mean a chilled display cabinet in the butchery section?

:)

They had some in there today. It's meat and comes from an animal, just like everything you buy is little tray with plastic packaging. No point in kidding yourself it's something else.

The camel and goats heads that you get in Union Co-op sometimes are worse!

The downside of Lulu is the flipping traffic in that area. I thought I'd call in for a few things earlier as it was pretty much on my way, but the traffic into and out of that part of Barsha is awful.

Meow Sep 2nd 2013 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10881533)
I like it.

It's nicer than the stuff at Choithrams which shrivels to a thumb size lump after 15 minutes in the oven.

Do yourself a favour and buy Sadia frozen chicken. It's not pumped full of chemicals and water like most of the 'fresh' stuff here. They mostly smell funny too.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 2nd 2013 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10881580)
Do yourself a favour and buy Sadia frozen chicken. It's not pumped full of chemicals and water like most of the 'fresh' stuff here. They mostly smell funny too.

Can you re-freeze it?

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2013 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10881577)
:)

They had some in their today. It's meat and comes from an animal, just like everything you buy is little tray with plastic packaging. No point in kidding yourself it's something else.

The camel and goats heads that you get in Union Co-op sometimes are worse!

The downside of Lulu is the flipping traffic in that area. I thought I'd call in for a few things earlier as it was pretty much on my way, but the traffic into and out of that part of Barsha is awful.

you would murder me for less!!

Agree about Sadia :) I was in LuLu this morning as well :)

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2013 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10881633)
Can you re-freeze it?

after it's cooked yes but not defrost then refreeze raw