Useless Information...

Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Useless Information...

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
"Infer" and "imply" do not have the same meaning.
Nor do "Identify" and "Dig".
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:02 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Nor do "Identify" and "Dig".
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Fact though; Paul Hunn holds the record for the loudest burp, which was 118.1 decibels, which is as loud as a chainsaw
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

The old question..........

"Why do 'flammable' and 'inflammable' (which sound like opposites) actually mean the same thing?"

........... is actually wrong - they mean different things............
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Dean

"Why do 'flammable' and 'inflammable' (which sound like opposites) actually mean the same thing?"

Very similar to another example of words that mean different things;

"Masturbate" and "Run"
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:11 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Very similar to another example of words that mean different things;

"Masturbate" and "Run"
So all these wanky runner types actually mean something different when they say, "I'm just popping our for a run, love"?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I still wasn't certain on that a few months back, and the internet doesn't really clarify;

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4065049AAiA4mK

decided to stick to flammable and non-flammable instead.

valuable and invaluable are another pair
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I still wasn't certain on that a few months back, and the internet doesn't really clarify;

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4065049AAiA4mK

decided to stick to flammable and non-flammable instead.

valuable and invaluable are another pair
One of them means it will burn if you set fire to it - the other one means it can spontaneously self-combust under the right conditions........

......... but please don't ask me which is which..........
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
So all these wanky runner types actually mean something different when they say, "I'm just popping our for a run, love"?
To be honest, I don't know. It's not something I can ever imagine myself saying so not sure what I would mean by it.

We should ask Commander.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:55 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

One of them means it will burn if you set fire to it - the other one means it can spontaneously self-combust under the right conditions........

......... but please don't ask me which is which..........
in·flam·ma·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-flm-bl)
adj.
Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; flammable.

flam·ma·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (flm-bl)
adj.
Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; inflammable.
Source(s):
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

They mean the same thing. If something can burn, it will provided the other two elements of the "fire triangle" are present: heat and oxygen (the third being the thing itself, ie fuel). Apply sufficient heat in the presence of oxygen to something that will burn, and it will--it doesn't matter what the heat source is. Take away any one of those elements (fuel, heat or oxygen), and the fire will die. You don't need a science degree for this.

Spontaneously self-combust under the right circumstances? Really? Only Sulphur, as far as I'm aware. And Norm.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Mar 28th 2012 at 12:57 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:18 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
in·flam·ma·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-flm-bl)
adj.
Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; flammable.

flam·ma·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (flm-bl)
adj.
Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; inflammable.
Source(s):
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

They mean the same thing. If something can burn, it will provided the other two elements of the "fire triangle" are present: heat and oxygen (the third being the thing itself, ie fuel). Apply sufficient heat in the presence of oxygen to something that will burn, and it will--it doesn't matter what the heat source is. Take away any one of those elements (fuel, heat or oxygen), and the fire will die. You don't need a science degree for this.

Spontaneously self-combust under the right circumstances? Really? Only Sulphur, as far as I'm aware. And Norm.
You racist b$%*#$d...

N.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:19 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Automatic opening doors have sensors which allow the door to detect the speed of the approaching person.
So no matter how fast you run at the door it will always open in time.

This is complete bullshit
Like this fellow?

Oh, and my useless information snippet is that a cockroach takes five days to die if you cut it's head off - and only dies because it can't eat or drink.

N.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:40 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II killed the only elephant in Berlin Zoo
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Oh, and my useless information snippet is that a cockroach takes five days to die if you cut it's head off - and only dies because it can't eat or drink.

N.
Only if you cut it off with surgical precision, otherwise it'll bleed to death much more quickly. And, I think if you do manage the surgery part it'll last a couple of weeks.

The human body can still survive even if the stomach, the spleen, 80% of the intestines, one kidney, one lung, and virtually every organ from the pelvic and groin area are removed.

And, even if 80% of your liver were removed, the remaining part would continue to function. Within a few months, the liver would have reconstituted itself to its original size.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:41 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
I heard it was three months, you *****-*****, **********, ****** **** ****.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.