British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Universities over here (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/universities-over-here-610187/)

Spugsy May 20th 2009 6:53 am

Universities over here

I'm very seriously considering working and saving for teh next 6-12 months, then packing it in to retrain in digital media, web stuff and all that,

Obviously it'll be a big change but my job won't be around forever with teh way advertising and media is going, but what are the Uni's like over here? Any idea on how easy it is to join up? fees? visa etc??

Ta.

(eek!)

commander May 20th 2009 7:09 am

Re: Universities over here

dunno but id hazard a guess..

1. overpriced
2. sub standard

Roadking May 20th 2009 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7587580)
I'm very seriously considering working and saving for teh next 6-12 months, then packing it in to retrain in digital media, web stuff and all that,

Obviously it'll be a big change but my job won't be around forever with teh way advertising and media is going, but what are the Uni's like over here? Any idea on how easy it is to join up? fees? visa etc??

Ta.

(eek!)

Couldn't you take a distance learning course while still working? Takes effort but they can be effective especially for the type of course material you are talking about.

Or do you just fancy a couple of years as a grungy student?

Spugsy May 20th 2009 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7587645)
Couldn't you take a distance learning course while still working? Takes effort but they can be effective especially for the type of course material you are talking about.

Or do you just fancy a couple of years as a grungy student?

Thing is I do a lot of long hours here, so quite often get home shattered and on weekends really want to relax. This would be a big thing and I'd need to commit fulltime, the plan would be to work freelance as well though to keep my hand in and keep some cash coming in.

admon May 20th 2009 7:19 am

the unis are well and truly shite here, honestly.

What about Open University in the UK, that way at least you could go at your own pace.

Spugsy May 20th 2009 7:27 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7587661)

What about Open University in the UK, that way at least you could go at your own pace.

Hmmm I thought as much, there are online teaching things, not looked into it properly - who knows, not even sure if I want to do it here, may go to another country.

Madam Medusa May 20th 2009 7:28 am

that is just not correct - heriot-watt university, for example, carries the same standards and criteria as the edinburgh campus...but it doesn't do any courses in what you're looking for spugsy...

open university carries no weight in many courses...so you'd need to consider whether it's a degree worth having, spugsy...

MM, xx

commander May 20th 2009 7:32 am

do they deliver stuff and support out here?

lionheart May 20th 2009 7:47 am

Forget about universities in the UAE...the students are so laid back they would fall over and the teachers are even worse.

klaus3974 May 20th 2009 8:14 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7587737)
Forget about universities in the UAE...the students are so laid back they would fall over and the teachers are even worse.

Well... THANK YOU!

seven seas May 20th 2009 8:22 am

yeah it isn't a good idea. Good luck though.

klaus3974 May 20th 2009 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7587580)

Ta.

(eek!)

I know quite well the region with respect to higher education and there is nothing good in your field. NYU Abu Dhabi, still not running, will eventually have things in film and digital media but you will have to wait 2 or 3 years at least.

On the other hand, during recessions the returns to human capital (your salary!) are low, so it is the best time to invest in education.

Spugsy May 20th 2009 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7587692)
that is just not correct - heriot-watt university, for example, carries the same standards and criteria as the edinburgh campus...but it doesn't do any courses in what you're looking for spugsy...

open university carries no weight in many courses...so you'd need to consider whether it's a degree worth having, spugsy...

MM, xx

its not really a degree I need, it's just learning the whole webdesign process and packages.

hawkhead May 20th 2009 8:54 am

Ahem - that's me you're talking about y'know!

But yes, I agree - don't even think about it Spugsy. (And I don't know if you'd qualify for a student visa - or even if there is such a thing.)

Spugsy May 20th 2009 9:14 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7587886)
Ahem - that's me you're talking about y'know!

But yes, I agree - don't even think about it Spugsy. (And I don't know if you'd qualify for a student visa - or even if there is such a thing.)

hmm well that's not such good news, but cheers everyone - I'll see what online or open university stuff there is.