Universities over here

Old May 20th 2009, 6:53 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Universities over here

I'm very seriously considering working and saving for teh next 6-12 months, then packing it in to retrain in digital media, web stuff and all that,

Obviously it'll be a big change but my job won't be around forever with teh way advertising and media is going, but what are the Uni's like over here? Any idea on how easy it is to join up? fees? visa etc??

Ta.

(eek!)
Old May 20th 2009, 7:09 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Universities over here

dunno but id hazard a guess..

1. overpriced
2. sub standard
Old May 20th 2009, 7:12 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I'm very seriously considering working and saving for teh next 6-12 months, then packing it in to retrain in digital media, web stuff and all that,

Obviously it'll be a big change but my job won't be around forever with teh way advertising and media is going, but what are the Uni's like over here? Any idea on how easy it is to join up? fees? visa etc??

Ta.

(eek!)
Couldn't you take a distance learning course while still working? Takes effort but they can be effective especially for the type of course material you are talking about.

Or do you just fancy a couple of years as a grungy student?
Old May 20th 2009, 7:17 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Couldn't you take a distance learning course while still working? Takes effort but they can be effective especially for the type of course material you are talking about.

Or do you just fancy a couple of years as a grungy student?
Thing is I do a lot of long hours here, so quite often get home shattered and on weekends really want to relax. This would be a big thing and I'd need to commit fulltime, the plan would be to work freelance as well though to keep my hand in and keep some cash coming in.
Old May 20th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

the unis are well and truly shite here, honestly.

What about Open University in the UK, that way at least you could go at your own pace.
Old May 20th 2009, 7:27 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by admon

What about Open University in the UK, that way at least you could go at your own pace.
Hmmm I thought as much, there are online teaching things, not looked into it properly - who knows, not even sure if I want to do it here, may go to another country.
Old May 20th 2009, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

that is just not correct - heriot-watt university, for example, carries the same standards and criteria as the edinburgh campus...but it doesn't do any courses in what you're looking for spugsy...

open university carries no weight in many courses...so you'd need to consider whether it's a degree worth having, spugsy...

MM, xx
Old May 20th 2009, 7:32 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

do they deliver stuff and support out here?
Old May 20th 2009, 7:47 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget about universities in the UAE...the students are so laid back they would fall over and the teachers are even worse.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lionheart
Forget about universities in the UAE...the students are so laid back they would fall over and the teachers are even worse.
Well... THANK YOU!
Old May 20th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

yeah it isn't a good idea. Good luck though.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spugsy

Ta.

(eek!)
I know quite well the region with respect to higher education and there is nothing good in your field. NYU Abu Dhabi, still not running, will eventually have things in film and digital media but you will have to wait 2 or 3 years at least.

On the other hand, during recessions the returns to human capital (your salary!) are low, so it is the best time to invest in education.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:33 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
that is just not correct - heriot-watt university, for example, carries the same standards and criteria as the edinburgh campus...but it doesn't do any courses in what you're looking for spugsy...

open university carries no weight in many courses...so you'd need to consider whether it's a degree worth having, spugsy...

MM, xx
its not really a degree I need, it's just learning the whole webdesign process and packages.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Ahem - that's me you're talking about y'know!

But yes, I agree - don't even think about it Spugsy. (And I don't know if you'd qualify for a student visa - or even if there is such a thing.)
Old May 20th 2009, 9:14 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Ahem - that's me you're talking about y'know!

But yes, I agree - don't even think about it Spugsy. (And I don't know if you'd qualify for a student visa - or even if there is such a thing.)
hmm well that's not such good news, but cheers everyone - I'll see what online or open university stuff there is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.