UK student fees

Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK student fees

Obviously not a popular decision in the UK;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11726822

So do you agree with trebling tuition fees, I was lucky enough to go through uni without paying any fees, I received a full grant from the government but still left owing 18000 pounds even though I worked nights throughout college, didn't party much and was pretty responsible with my spending.

Would they be better to bring back the YTS rather than encourage kids to go through the current schooling system (GCSE's, A levels, degrees) and encourage kids to take a trade- much of which are skills the Uk are short of at the moment or do we carry on encouraging our youth to take degrees that may or may not be relevant to their future careers and to build up debt before they even begin working properly?

As much as I understand public spending has to be cut is this the right way of doing it? And will Cameron be seen as the new Thatcher/have the libdems destroyed their reputation or are these essential cuts?

Last edited by kittycat1; Dec 10th 2010 at 1:39 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK student fees

Originally Posted by kittycat1

So do you agree with trebling tuition fees, I was lucky enough to go through uni without paying any fees, I received a full grant from the government but still left owing 18000 pounds even though I worked nights throughout college, didn't party much and was pretty responsible with my spending.

Would they be better to bring back the YTS rather than encourage kids to go through the current schooling system (GCSE's, A levels, degrees) and encourage kids to take a trade- much of which are skills the Uk are short of at the moment or do we carry on encouraging our youth to take degrees that may or may not be relevant to their future careers and to build up debt before they even begin working properly?

As much as I understand public spending has to be cut is this the right way of doing it? And will Cameron be seen as the new Thatcher/have the libdems destroyed their reputation or are these essential cuts?
The cuts are essential ... however, I believe there should be "classes" of degrees - maths, engineering, science, business, economics should be free. The rest have to be paid for - No one needs a geography degree.

Thankfully, I didn't pay fees (I was the last intake year)... I left with about GBP 2800 of debt and was sponsored to do my degree (I was given about GBP 3000 per year) and always had summer work where I would earn GBP 2000 or so.

The debts came about through the purchase of two motorbikes, some SL 1210s and a large record collection...

Last edited by Millhouse; Dec 10th 2010 at 2:22 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not everyones 'right' to go to university , that's the trouble . Degrees in Basket weaving and X factor haven't helped either.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

wow Millhouse just 2800-did you stay the full 3 years? how on earth did you manage that- my overdraft alone was more than that!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's not everyones 'right' to go to university , that's the trouble . Degrees in Basket weaving and X factor haven't helped either.
Why is it not everyones right? Whos right is it?

I do think degrees have become devalued by everyone and their gran having one but isn't this what the government have spent the last 1 years trying to achieve?

I agree ridiculous degrees are a complete waste of time and I don't understand how they even exist.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

wow Millhouse just 2800-did you stay the full 3 years? how on earth did you manage that- my overdraft alone was more than that!
My parents covered all accomodation and food costs... I learn to cut my own hair so the sponsorship money was really just for beer and condoms.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why is it not everyones right? Whos right is it?

The bright kids - the barrier to entry is now too low.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok well obviously bright kids!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

ok well obviously bright kids!
The process has been dumbed down and devalued and yeah everyone cant go to University , raise the bar.

What we need is Trades and apprenticeship schemes that work , the Kids need a valuable alternative . We have a generation gap in the UK where we cannot even bid and tender for Engineering / manufacturing jobs because we haven't got the skill base.

That people is criminal
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with university is that there is too much of it, and it's not elite enough.

You can now get a degree in 'Property', 'Play and Playwork', 'Floristry' and 'Jewellery', among many others. Either worthless subjects for university-level study, or things that can be learned on the job. And of course - who wouldn't want to do 'Football Studies' at the University of Bedfordshire? Those who simply want to postpone unemployment for three years?

Cut the crap, and the fees can stay low.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't have to pay tuition fgees either but, thanks to various holiday jobs, I graduated without owing a single penny. I honestly think that many students these days spend too much and work too little in their spare time.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
I didn't have to pay tuition fgees either but, thanks to various holiday jobs, I graduated without owing a single penny. I honestly think that many students these days spend too much and work too little in their spare time.
What a weird thing to say - students shouldn't have to work while studying - they should be focused on their studies. Where I went it was forbidden to have a job during term time.

The problem is most degrees are not intensive enough. I remember having 25 hours of lectures a week + tutorials (3 to 4 hours a week) + lab work (4 hours a week) + home work (which would take me at least 15 hours a week).
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse but even without the fee increases many students still have to work through college, just to be there and to live. More sponsorships would help but with the economy a it is that is unlikely to happen.

The thing i found hardest was the unpaid work placements- working in London for a month with no financial income for that period, this literally crippled me financially but was an essential part of my degree. Soo many companies take advantage of students certainly in creative industries which are so fiercely competitive, you have little choice but to work for them unpaid.

Having said that there are on average (without a recession) about 100 jobs for graduates in the fashion industry a year in the UK and over 3000 graduates a year. The value of a fashion degree if you are not in the fashion industry is pretty much zero. So is it right that soo many students do courses that are essentially a waste of time? I am sure that is the case in other industries as well.

I always think students would be better to go to work for a few years- find a passion for what they want to do and go back as mature students, study the right degree for them, more focused, more driven and possibly sponsored by a company.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

haunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Wasnt there a degree about David Beckham at one point?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, apprenticeships...

just wait till your kisd are offered a choice between an apprenticeship in bus driving or file administration

so they can work for ever for a manager whos eparents were rich enough to pay for the fees you couldn't afford.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.