British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   UK Immigration Gets Tough (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/uk-immigration-gets-tough-792134/)

Blue Cat Mar 28th 2013 2:58 pm

Re: UK Immigration Gets Tough

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10628432)
The second well publicised case in only a few days. It seems that I may not be able to take my family home with me either, unless I get a reasonably well paid job first. Does anybody know what the savings option requirements are nowadays? Oh well, other EU countries are required by law to allow spouses of Euro citizens to stay, so maybe it's not all doom and gloom.:(
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...isa-rules.html

would you not be better considering Kenya?

OriginalSunshine Mar 28th 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10628432)
Oh well, other EU countries are required by law to allow spouses of Euro citizens to stay[/url]

Nope - I know many Dutch guys who married Indonesian / Thai wives who have to apply for visas every time they go "home" :thumbdown:

The Dean Mar 29th 2013 6:45 pm

Ahhhhh............. don't you just long for the good old days when a white Anglo-Saxon British-born male married a white Anglo-Saxon British-born female.....? :huh:

Beakersful Mar 29th 2013 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10631178)
Ahhhhh............. don't you just long for the good old days when a white Anglo-Saxon British-born male married a white Anglo-Saxon British-born female.....? :huh:

Bloody anglo-saxon immigrants!

scot47 Mar 30th 2013 8:38 pm

It all went wrong when those Romans started coming here !

Norm_uk Mar 31st 2013 8:53 am

Seems everyone has to pay for the phenomena of certain groups of immigrants only marrying people from their home country and bringing their extended families over, many of whom get benefits and are a burden on the country.

Trouble is the Government can't be seen to target particular groups or they will be called racist so everyone suffers. My missus works in a bank and will probably earn more than me in a few years...I'll let her save for this before I move back ;)

They could be a bit more flexible with the financial requirements...particularly for indigenous Brits (if we're still allowed to call the ethnic majority that of course) who are working professionals marrying other working professionals. Surely the country needs more get up and go types and less of the kind who rely on benefits?

N.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 31st 2013 9:02 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10632578)
It all went wrong when those Romans started coming here !

Yeah! What have the Romans ever done for us?

Norm_uk Mar 31st 2013 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10631199)
Bloody anglo-saxon immigrants!

The Saxons took over most of the main island with less than 1% of the settled natives (who for the most part have been there since at least the Ice Ages). They were absorbed into the population but changed the language, legal system and culture within a few centuries.

I can see why some people get arsey over even small amounts of immigration...10% or so in the last 50 years as we probably have now is literally unprecedented in the history of the British Isles.

N.

Norm_uk Mar 31st 2013 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10633069)
Yeah! What have the Romans ever done for us?

Maybe we can sue Italy for their crimes against our ancestors. A lot of native groups and descendants of slaves seem to think they can blame people generations after the fact - we need the money so why not?

I want marble from Rome as my compensation...will put it over the fireplace so I have something civilised to lean against when I am drunk.

N.

britexpat76 Mar 31st 2013 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10633054)
Seems everyone has to pay for the phenomena of certain groups of immigrants only marrying people from their home country and bringing their extended families over, many of whom get benefits and are a burden on the country.

Trouble is the Government can't be seen to target particular groups or they will be called racist so everyone suffers. My missus works in a bank and will probably earn more than me in a few years...I'll let her save for this before I move back ;)

They could be a bit more flexible with the financial requirements...particularly for indigenous Brits (if we're still allowed to call the ethnic majority that of course) who are working professionals marrying other working professionals. Surely the country needs more get up and go types and less of the kind who rely on benefits?

N.

I think the part to help the indigenous brits is the £18k a year salary, the much higher savings requirements is to stop anyone coming over, unless they have enough money to add to the economy. That said it does not help someone who has been married for 20 years to a non national and wants to come home to the UK to retire and has all their money tied up in Investments.

Brits who are born British should have more leeway...........

Norm_uk Mar 31st 2013 9:20 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10633077)
I think the part to help the indigenous brits is the £18k a year salary, the much higher savings requirements is to stop anyone coming over, unless they have enough money to add to the economy. That said it does not help someone who has been married for 20 years to a non national and wants to come home to the UK to retire and has all their money tied up in Investments.

Brits who are born British should have more leeway...........

Can't argue with that...I also think those with native ties within two generations should also have more leeway. The Irish allow people with an Irish born ancestor within two generations the chance to apply for citizenship.

Going back to the article the Japanese man could bring his wife to Japan and she would get residency fairly quickly. She would not be able to become a citizen though unless she was fluent in Japanese and took a Japanese name. Her children would have to choose at 18 if they want to be Japanese or not.

I believe Korea also has similar rules...Britain should adopt something similar in my opinion. Immigration should serve to protect the native majority as much as the interests of the economy. If London stopped subsidising the rest of the country we'd have re-industrialised already and would probably overtake Germany.

N.

Beakersful Mar 31st 2013 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10633089)
If London stopped subsidising the rest of the country we'd have re-industrialised already and would probably overtake Germany. N.

And where do you think the meat for the grinder in the factories would come from if London apparently has all the cash? Already the housing situation is being pushed towards uprooting new generations from their family links in the countryside and shipping them to the cities to work in the factories. Or did you miss that brainstorm from IDS?