Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UAE top for human rights in ME.

UAE top for human rights in ME.

Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default UAE top for human rights in ME.

Are they joking??
http://www.thenational.ae/uae/uae-ta...n-rights-index

The index provides a combined score of countries’ performance across 21 categories, including the right to life, to an adequate standard of living, the right to take part in government, freedom from torture, the right to freedom of assembly and the rights of foreigners.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE top for human rights in ME.

shucks they beat Saudi
Old Oct 20th 2013, 11:40 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

The Global Network for Rights and Development - that long standing and respected Human Rights group headed by Dr. Loai Muhammad Deeb - with other offices in Jordan and Sudan (both bastions of Human Rights) alongside two other European offices (which makes them foolproof and impartial immediately, right?). They take a very selective view of human rights and are as balanced as a crowbar see-saw.

Freedom House (which measures political freedom and democracy) says something different and states Israel is the only free country in the MENA region, with Tunisia, Turkey, Kuwait, Libya and Morocco were defined as “partly free.”

Anyway that's what's what Freedom House state. Amnesty aren't too far off that either. The UAE is probably the best in the GCC, after Kuwait and possibly Oman but certainly not a free bastion of rights and democracy - not when they are still arresting and prosecuting their own people for criticising the government.

Allegedly - it's illegal to actually type this so I stress these are the opinions of other groups and parties I am in no way lined to

N.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

Freedom House (which measures political freedom and democracy) says something different and states Israel is the only free country in the MENA region, with Tunisia, Turkey, Kuwait, Libya and Morocco were defined as “partly free.”
Israeli Human Rights !!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151915107113984
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

The Global Network for Rights and Development - that long standing and respected Human Rights group headed by Dr. Loai Muhammad Deeb - with other offices in Jordan and Sudan (both bastions of Human Rights) alongside two other European offices (which makes them foolproof and impartial immediately, right?). They take a very selective view of human rights and are as balanced as a crowbar see-saw.

Anyway that's what's what Freedom House state. Amnesty aren't too far off that either. The UAE is probably the best in the GCC, after Kuwait and possibly Oman but certainly not a free bastion of rights and democracy - not when they are still arresting and prosecuting their own people for criticising the government.

Allegedly - it's illegal to actually type this so I stress these are the opinions of other groups and parties I am in no way lined to

N.
The index provided in the OP is BS , and Israel is not much different to its neighbours, when it comes to things that really matter like self determination .
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:49 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Don't cry to me, I don't write these reports or belong to any of these groups, I just reported what I found by looking at bigger and more respectable assessors of human rights. I never said Israel was perfect either.

We can all post videos of heinous crap going on in this region, from armed men literally driving into a wedding in Gaza and firing weapons to because the celebrants were playing music, which apparently isn't fit in their version of Islam. We can see UAE Shiekhs driving over Afghans legs with their cars then torturing anally with cattle prods. We can see the religious apartheid of Saudi and most of the region...doesn't really convince me of anything other than it's once of the worst places in the world for human rights and if Israel is better according rights groups it's the best of the worst.

Of course there are some people who just have a hissy fit when the name Israel is mentioned. No one country gets so much reaction, despite dozens of far worse places, with far worse governance and policies.

N.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The index provided in the OP is BS , and Israel is not much different to its neighbours, when it comes to things that really matter like self determination .
I'm only reporting what I read and exposing the BS with rights group who reported the UAE top in the middle east. Are you suggesting Israeli's can't vote, are jailed regularly for criticising their leaders, have few rights for women and are on par with tribal dictatorships? I ask as those are the criteria for assessment.

N.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only reporting what I read and exposing the BS with rights group who reported the UAE top in the middle east. Are you suggesting Israeli's can't vote, are jailed regularly for criticising their leaders, have few rights for women and are on par with tribal dictatorships? I ask as those are the criteria for assessment.

N.
Palestinians in the West Bank can't vote in Israeli electios despite them defactor being part of Israel since Israel exerts significant control over them and only allows the PA to administer the area so as to avoid allowing the territory to vote in Israeli elections.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Are they joking??
http://www.thenational.ae/uae/uae-ta...n-rights-index

The index provides a combined score of countries’ performance across 21 categories, including the right to life, to an adequate standard of living, the right to take part in government, freedom from torture, the right to freedom of assembly and the rights of foreigners.
The 'right to life'? That is SOOOOO kind of you - without that, I would have died years ago..........
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi Arabia praised in UN review of its human rights record
As the UN Human Rights Council scrutinized Saudi Arabia's domestic rights record this morning, a minority of democracies such as Canada, UK, and the Czech Republic raised concerns about women's rights, while the vast majority of African, Asian and Latin American countries lined up to defend and praise one of the world's most repressive theocratic regimes.

Out of 95 countries who took the floor, 82 praised Saudi Arabia. "What we witnessed today was another meeting of what has sadly turned into a mutual praise society, with anti-democratic regimes like Communist China heaping praise on fundamentalist Saudi Arabia, while tomorrow, as China gets reviewed, the Saudis will return the favor," said Hillel Neuer, executive director of the Geneva-based human rights group UN Watch, which has for years testified before UN bodies on Saudi Arabia's oppression of women and on its other gross and systematic human rights abuses.

Despite widespread recognition of Saudi Arabia's "abysmal record on the rights of women, religious freedom, and political liberties," Neuer said the country is poised to win a seat on the Human Rights Council in elections to be held on November 12th by the UN General Assembly.

http://www.unwatch.org/site/apps/nln...poVIyQ.twitter
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Saudi Arabia praised in UN review of its human rights record
As the UN Human Rights Council scrutinized Saudi Arabia's domestic rights record this morning, a minority of democracies such as Canada, UK, and the Czech Republic raised concerns about women's rights, while the vast majority of African, Asian and Latin American countries lined up to defend and praise one of the world's most repressive theocratic regimes.

Out of 95 countries who took the floor, 82 praised Saudi Arabia. "What we witnessed today was another meeting of what has sadly turned into a mutual praise society, with anti-democratic regimes like Communist China heaping praise on fundamentalist Saudi Arabia, while tomorrow, as China gets reviewed, the Saudis will return the favor," said Hillel Neuer, executive director of the Geneva-based human rights group UN Watch, which has for years testified before UN bodies on Saudi Arabia's oppression of women and on its other gross and systematic human rights abuses.

Despite widespread recognition of Saudi Arabia's "abysmal record on the rights of women, religious freedom, and political liberties," Neuer said the country is poised to win a seat on the Human Rights Council in elections to be held on November 12th by the UN General Assembly.

http://www.unwatch.org/site/apps/nln...poVIyQ.twitter
Well in that case I'm not voting for the UN at the next election.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Palestinians in the West Bank can't vote in Israeli electios despite them defactor being part of Israel since Israel exerts significant control over them and only allows the PA to administer the area so as to avoid allowing the territory to vote in Israeli elections.
They don't want to be part of Israel and exist because they were told by the Arab states to leave so they could drive the jews into the sea. Maybe the surrounding states should just absorb them - it's not like Arabs don't have a lot of land, or that Canaan is their only homeland. And Israel does allow it's Arab, Aramaic and Druze citizens votes, political parties, seats in government and military positions. Why would they allow people who are raised to hate and kill anything remotely Israeli to have a voice in their government?

There are plenty of Prussian Germans around today who do not refer to themselves as such and because of that Germany will never invade Poland again to 're-take' their lands.

N.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

They don't want to be part of Israel and exist because they were told by the Arab states to leave so they could drive the jews into the sea. Maybe the surrounding states should just absorb them - it's not like Arabs don't have a lot of land, or that Canaan is their only homeland. And Israel does allow it's Arab, Aramaic and Druze citizens votes, political parties, seats in government and military positions. Why would they allow people who are raised to hate and kill anything remotely Israeli to have a voice in their government?

There are plenty of Prussian Germans around today who do not refer to themselves as such and because of that Germany will never invade Poland again to 're-take' their lands.

N.
I'm not sure how you stay in the GCC states, but your arguements are difficult to disagree with. Is your next post after AUH Tel Aviv?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OleJanx
I'm not sure how you stay in the GCC states, but your arguements are difficult to disagree with. Is your next post after AUH Tel Aviv?
I'd fancy Tel Aviv. Supposed to be a fun city.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikewot
"What we witnessed today was another meeting of what has sadly turned into a mutual praise society, with anti-democratic regimes like Communist China heaping praise on fundamentalist Saudi Arabia, while tomorrow, as China gets reviewed, the Saudis will return the favor,"
seen this somewhere before...and from Riga we give Estonie douze points

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.