Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UAE driving licence - valid for use in USA?

UAE driving licence - valid for use in USA?

Old Mar 30th 2013, 4:45 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE driving licence - valid for use in USA?

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Just curious as have never looked into it - how does one get an international licence?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791168

And its a damned-pretty looking thing, too. In English and about 10 other languages.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
I have used my UAE DL to rent cars in a dozen American cities and was never asked for an IDP; but i was not asked to show it to any policeman or "highway trooper" so dont know how that would have turned out
your uae licence is written in english, so you do not need to get an idp.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The license needs to have current address, you can't put your current address down if it is outside the UK, so the license isn't valid. As soon as you move back, you inform the DVLA and get another license issued.

In the UK, you're unlikely to get sued for millions, so it's less likely to be a issue. It is a real possibility in the US though and insurance companies will more likely follow it up and it would be easy to do as you'd have a visa for the UAE in your passport and you've got to have your passport on you at all times and that'll mean your UK license isn't valid so without a IDP to translate your UAE license if it isn't in English, you're borked on a claim.
thank u for agreeing with me, exactly what i said. yes you must put down your correct address, people used to worry that when there photocard runs out after 10 years that they must renew it otherwise face big fines, but as you are not resident your licence is not valid, when you go back to the uk permanently you tell the dvla your new address and they will reissue the licence without penalities.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 2:50 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting discussion.

When you leave the UK, your UK licence does not "become invalid".

However, it no longer shows your current address and as such should be surrendered "forthwith" (RTA 99(4)). Not to surrender it is an offence (RTA 99(5)).

The DVLA will not issue a licence to a non-resident under EU rules.

ALL THAT SAID, if you leave with your UK licence and want to drive in a third country, there is nothing in UK law to say you can't. There may or may not be something in the 3rd party country's law to say you can't.

Even when the photocard expires, you could try to get away with the counterpart (which typically has an expiry date of when you are 45, 60 or 70) and drive on that.

All the above comes straight from the DVLA (so I can't vouch for it )
Old Mar 31st 2013, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

So............. as someone who is legitimately non-resident and not ordinarily resident, if I renew my driving licence with my UK family home address, do I become a taxpayer?
Old Mar 31st 2013, 5:39 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
So............. as someone who is legitimately non-resident and not ordinarily resident, if I renew my driving licence with my UK family home address, do I become a taxpayer?
No, but the DVLA now cross-check with HMRC, will see you are non-resident, and won't renew it.

Personal data
If you apply online you’ll be agreeing that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.

DVLA will confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If DVLA can’t fully verify your identity, you’ll be told what to do at the end of the application.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

Also, DVLA told me that they will only renew after you have been resident in the UK 183 days

Last edited by typical; Mar 31st 2013 at 5:42 am.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 7:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You can get an IDP at Emirates Post. It's straightforward and makes sense to have one - just in case.

http://www.emiratespost.com/content/...ntldriving.jsp
Old Mar 31st 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
and you've got to have your passport on you at all times .
Why? Says who?
Old Mar 31st 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Why? Says who?
hey as a brit in Canada passing through the forum ..
i would say big bubba says so .... when he asks for ID..he means licence and for us dang foreigners proof of lawful entry into the states.
Try not having a passport for proof of ID when stopped at an immigration roadcheck in redneck Texas!
jimmy
just remembered this topic was on the US forum .,and the passport was a requirement for ID>lawful proof.

Last edited by jamesmc; Mar 31st 2013 at 5:36 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
hey as a brit in Canada passing through the forum ..
i would say big bubba says so .... when he asks for ID..he means licence and for us dang foreigners proof of lawful entry into the states.
Try not having a passport for proof of ID when stopped at an immigration roadcheck in redneck Texas!
jimmy
just remembered this topic was on the US forum .,and the passport was a requirement for ID>lawful proof.
When I lived in the states (Co) I did used to carry my passport but only as I didn't trust leaving it in my accom. Never got asked for it mind.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:29 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
No, but the DVLA now cross-check with HMRC, will see you are non-resident, and won't renew it.

Personal data
If you apply online you’ll be agreeing that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.

DVLA will confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If DVLA can’t fully verify your identity, you’ll be told what to do at the end of the application.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

Also, DVLA told me that they will only renew after you have been resident in the UK 183 days
except they clearly don't check as the mrs just renewed her photo license and got it without a question and yes she is registered as non resident with hmrc
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 12:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Why? Says who?
As a johnny foreigner in the US, you have to carry it with you technically at all times. If you've got a greencard, you have to carry that at all times.

It's only US citizens that don't need to carry ID at all times.