British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Two farts in today's Daily Fail (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/two-farts-todays-daily-fail-780372/)

Bahtatboy Dec 12th 2012 7:22 am

Two farts in today's Daily Fail

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 109975

Attachment 109976

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 12th 2012 8:02 am

Re: Two farts in today's Daily Fail

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10428898)

What do you reckon about the chap not having to wear a bearskin?

Kix Dec 12th 2012 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10428963)
What do you reckon about the chap not having to wear a bearskin?

Tricky one, it is a uniform, and the whole point of uniforms is that the wearers era, erm... Uniform.

Just another erosion of what it means to be English.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 12th 2012 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10428971)
Tricky one, it is a uniform, and the whole point of uniforms is that the wearers era, erm... Uniform.

Just another erosion of what it means to be English.

I agree. I see it as his problem, not the Royal Horseguards (I think that's the correct bunch?)

He knew what the uniform was before he wanted to be in it.

Kix Dec 12th 2012 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10428974)
I agree. I see it as his problem, not the Royal Horseguards (I think that's the correct bunch?)

**** me, Scamp agrees with me!

britexpat76 Dec 12th 2012 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10428974)

Totally agree, there are shit loads more units he could join. Just out of interest, If a sikh goes into battle do they not have to wear kevlar helmets?

kittycat1 Dec 12th 2012 8:26 am

Seriously guys, Sikhs have fought for and alongside the british army for decades, just because they wear a turban it does not stop their ability to serve. For years Sikh members of the army have been allowed to wear their turbans and this has been perfectly acceptable. Why should it be questioned now? There is a long line of history between Sikhs and the British Empire. Show a bit of respect guys. I believe the BNP has their own website you can join.

http://bfbs.com/news/england/sikh-so...uty-62267.html

britexpat76 Dec 12th 2012 8:33 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10429004)
Seriously guys, Sikhs have fought for and alongside the british army for decades, just because they wear a turban it does not stop their ability to serve. For years Sikh members of the army have been allowed to wear their turbans and this has been perfectly acceptable. Why should it be questioned now? There is a long line of history between Sikhs and the British Empire. Show a bit of respect guys. I believe the BNP has their own website you can join.

What has the BNP got to do with it? I just don't agree with breaking tradition and asked a simple question. Personally I wouldn't want to be popping my head up in helmand province without the little protection a proper kevlar helmet offers.

kittycat1 Dec 12th 2012 8:39 am

Brit- to be honest it wasnt your comment that riled me but as you've started now;

What so by traditional you mean have a short back and sides? Britain is a melting pot of cultures. If he was the worlds best soldier and deserved to serve in the horseguards you would stop his because of his religion? If the queen doesnt have a problem with it I don't see why anyone else should.

Kix Dec 12th 2012 8:42 am

I've no problem with him being a guard, at least he's willing fight for this country as have many other Sikhs.
But he does look out of place in that turban, by all accounts other Sikhs have said its fine to wear a bear skin over it.
Also, there are many Sikhs in the Army and the Army has a policy that they are allowed to wear their turbans until it becomes a safety issue and I'm sure none will refuse to remove his turban to wear his helmet or respirator.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 12th 2012 8:43 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10429004)

Woah woah woah.

No problems with someone wanting to do something and be part of it. But there is a uniform for a reason, so everyone is the same.

Millhouse Dec 12th 2012 8:46 am

They sikh him here, they sikh him there. Great in combat roles as you can never find them.

Blue Cat Dec 12th 2012 8:49 am

Clarkson looks a right pratt :rofl:

kittycat1 Dec 12th 2012 9:02 am

Why should he have to join a seperate division because he wears a turban. Personally I think it's great, Britain is such a mix of cultures, you have to adapt to changing times. The tradition is still there just being adapted for a changing culture.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 12th 2012 9:05 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10429075)
Why should he have to join a seperate division because he wears a turban. Personally I think it's great, Britain is such a mix of cultures, you have to adapt to changing times. The tradition is still there just being adapted for a changing culture.

Because that is the uniform.

Does he still wear his knife (don't know the name) on his waist when on duty?

This isn't about him being a Sikh or not. It's about changing the rules for one person, it's spineless.