Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Triathlon/running/swimming/cycling in the UAE after the summer..

Triathlon/running/swimming/cycling in the UAE after the summer..

Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:57 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Triathlon/running/swimming/cycling in the UAE after the summer..

Guys, I know that this will not interest the majority of regular posters on here, but it is aimed at everyone..esp the lurkers..

Are there people out there who would like to take part in these sports? In Dubai we are spoilt rotton with the amount of multisport events on offer during the racing season. (Oct-April)

I know when I got into it, I was very apprehensive about turning up at a 10K or 5k race, or going to a running or cycling club gathering as I thought it was full of experts, however it really is not like that. Everyone is super supportive and the focus is fully on personal reward and improvement, not how good you are compared to others. In Abu Dhabi, the striders have a very popular "predictor" run, where you guess your time. The nearest to their predicted time wins..not the fastest!

Spartans is the bored's runner..and between him and I, we no doubt have contacts in every running club in the UAE, I'm sure he won't mind me saying to drop him or myself a message should you want some further info.

For cycling, Dubai is spoilt for choice for ALL ABILITIES. There is CSD (Cycle Safe Dubai) that depart from AL Qudra road and the distances and speeds vary so you can place yourself accordingly. There is support cars and the new cycle lane is nearly completed. Also there is Dubai Roadsters however the min distance is 80K and they do expect you to have a basic level of biking experience.

I am posting this because I have found that getting into multisport has changed my life totally. I have met some amazing people and have learned so much about myself and my limitations, both physical and mental, especially through Ironman racing. I wanted to do it for a while but was too afraid to take the plunge...it really is for anyone!!

So, if you fancy something different this winter..let me help point you in the right direction.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:02 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triathlon/running/swimming/cycling in the UAE after the summer..

Originally Posted by commander
Guys, I know that this will not interest the majority of regular posters on here, but it is aimed at everyone..esp the lurkers..

Are there people out there who would like to take part in these sports? In Dubai we are spoilt rotton with the amount of multisport events on offer during the racing season. (Oct-April)

I know when I got into it, I was very apprehensive about turning up at a 10K or 5k race, or going to a running or cycling club gathering as I thought it was full of experts, however it really is not like that. Everyone is super supportive and the focus is fully on personal reward and improvement, not how good you are compared to others. In Abu Dhabi, the striders have a very popular "predictor" run, where you guess your time. The nearest to their predicted time wins..not the fastest!

Spartans is the bored's runner..and between him and I, we no doubt have contacts in every running club in the UAE, I'm sure he won't mind me saying to drop him or myself a message should you want some further info.

For cycling, Dubai is spoilt for choice for ALL ABILITIES. There is CSD (Cycle Safe Dubai) that depart from AL Qudra road and the distances and speeds vary so you can place yourself accordingly. There is support cars and the new cycle lane is nearly completed. Also there is Dubai Roadsters however the min distance is 80K and they do expect you to have a basic level of biking experience.

I am posting this because I have found that getting into multisport has changed my life totally. I have met some amazing people and have learned so much about myself and my limitations, both physical and mental, especially through Ironman racing. I wanted to do it for a while but was too afraid to take the plunge...it really is for anyone!!

So, if you fancy something different this winter..let me help point you in the right direction.
I'm definitely interested in the cycling, though it would be mountain biking etc for me.

I'm currently trying to lose weight. Doing it on a treadmill (4.5kph, 10 degree incline for an hour – (episode and a half of House on my iPad while I do it – I'd do the full two eps if the machines went over 60 mins).

My Nike Fuel+Band arrives today so hopefully that should give me an accurate idea of how many calories I'm burning a day in total, so I can adjust my diet to about a 300 cal deficit. The treadmill is currently burning around about 700 cals. Two days off, I'm hoping I'll be running a cal deficit of around about 7600-7700 cals a week, so in theory lose 1kg of fat a week.

Anyway, my point is that I'm really hoping to lose the weight and shape up so that I can start doing long distance runs and bike rides, which I used to love as a kid, so I'd definitely be interested to pick your brains after the summer.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:07 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
I'm definitely interested in the cycling, though it would be mountain biking etc for me.

I'm currently trying to lose weight. Doing it on a treadmill (4.5kph, 10 degree incline for an hour – (episode and a half of House on my iPad while I do it – I'd do the full two eps if the machines went over 60 mins).

My Nike Fuel+Band arrives today so hopefully that should give me an accurate idea of how many calories I'm burning a day in total, so I can adjust my diet to about a 300 cal deficit. The treadmill is currently burning around about 700 cals. Two days off, I'm hoping I'll be running a cal deficit of around about 7600-7700 cals a week, so in theory lose 1kg of fat a week.

Anyway, my point is that I'm really hoping to lose the weight and shape up so that I can start doing long distance runs and bike rides, which I used to love as a kid, so I'd definitely be interested to pick your brains after the summer.
Sounds like a good plan, use the summer to get into the training ethos and for sure, feel free to drop me a PM and ill help in anyway I can. I don't know too much about the MTB scene here, but I know a man who does ;-)
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Commander no probs about helping out, it is quite hard the first time. I would recomend the Dubai Road Runners for novices and work from there. Sat night gate 4 at Safa is the predictor and Sunday and Tuesday night at Barsha park for intervals. Creek Striders on a Friday has a Novice/Social group but you need to be able to run 10k quite easy.

Drop me a Message and I will try to be there if you need an intro.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

The MTB scene seems to be mainly Pinoy but they are a good bunch and I have a few contacts if you need them. They ride out a Showka most weekend and we have been running on their trails also.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:29 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Are there people out there who would like to take part in these sports?
I have run a couple of 10Ks long time back, and I swim a mile couple of times a month. I haven't run for a while, so really should head off to the gym and start it again.

I'd certainly be interested if you have any info on running clubs as it might encourage me to take it a bit more seriously and being the wrong side of 40 I should really do a bit more now.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:01 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

And if you like running and drinking there are always those Hash people with their weird nicknames and parties...
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Was that your ginger hair I spotted in the paper last week darling? The article on triathlons and the ironman thingy?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
And if you like running and drinking there are always those Hash people with their weird nicknames and parties...
My dad still hashes (nicknames, silly games n all) and he's nearly a pensioner. He's been doing it since 1977 with BH7 (standing for Brighton, Hove, Hassocks, Hurstpierpoint, Horsham, Haywards Heath, and I forget the other H) and loves it.

His pals are threatening (via Facebook) to do something (a 'down down' whatever that is) to his shiny new trainers at the next meet. Bloody immature if you ask me.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:53 pm
banned

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Was that your ginger hair I spotted in the paper last week darling? The article on triathlons and the ironman thingy?
Guilty
The second picture just showed how terrible my swim is..
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

I saw it too (see earlier thread you didnt answer), I saw the spelling of your surname, realised it was a Scots way of spelling and put two & two together!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:05 am
banned

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
I saw it too (see earlier thread you didnt answer), I saw the spelling of your surname, realised it was a Scots way of spelling and put two & two together!
Yea, I am a media whore. Ps it wasn't Ironman Germany I was racing...it was Challenge Roth..same Iron distance 3.8K, 180K, 42.2K. An amazing race and experience. They reacon there was around 500,000 people watching. Ill never forget it..plus I smashed a PB.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, I am a media whore. Ps it wasn't Ironman Germany I was racing...it was Challenge Roth..same Iron distance 3.8K, 180K, 42.2K. An amazing race and experience. They reacon there was around 500,000 people watching. Ill never forget it..plus I smashed a PB.
Well done mate!

I would struggle to do that in the bloody car!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:24 am
banned

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
Well done mate!

I would struggle to do that in the bloody car!
Cheers mate, take a look at this link. The Solarberg hill was an experience ill never forget. I managed a sub 3h30 marathon which I'm insanely chuffed with..I got my nutrition right which is a big challenge in itself!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature...tSVJn0zA&gl=AE

Ps ignore the eurotrash music...germans..gotta love em