Treasure Trove?

Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:45 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Treasure Trove?

This from the Indendent:

"Bargain buy

An elderly man donated some items to a local Salvation Army shop in Beaconsfield, including an old suitcase. He didn't know that his wife had been sewing their savings into the lining of the old suitcase - and had $100,000 in there.

He contacted the charity shop but the suitcase had already been sold. Luckily the shop could trace the buyers through their credit card details, and they are being investigated for failing to report the money - and placing it into several different bank accounts. "

What I don't get is why the buyers are being investigated--what's the crime?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Treasure Trove?

Theft, most likely. They should have reported the money to the Police and possibly claim it back if nobody comes forward. What would you do if you bought a car and found a baby inside? Same difference really.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:13 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Theft, most likely. They should have reported the money to the Police and possibly claim it back if nobody comes forward. What would you do if you bought a car and found a baby inside? Same difference really.
Errr...I'd sell the baby then cut up my credit card. That's a really daft question. How is it theft? I agree that morally there's a duty to give the money back, but if you buy object A for 100 quid then find out its worth 1,000, are you obliged to give the seller the extra 900 quid? I don't think so.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:07 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why was a Brit, in the UK, saving in $$$ ?

-
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

When I read the story a few days ago, Australia rang a bell.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
This from the Indendent:

"Bargain buy

An elderly man donated some items to a local Salvation Army shop in Beaconsfield, including an old suitcase. He didn't know that his wife had been sewing their savings into the lining of the old suitcase - and had $100,000 in there.

He contacted the charity shop but the suitcase had already been sold. Luckily the shop could trace the buyers through their credit card details, and they are being investigated for failing to report the money - and placing it into several different bank accounts. "

What I don't get is why the buyers are being investigated--what's the crime?
definitely theft under english law

"...dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it"
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
When I read the story a few days ago, Australia rang a bell.
Yep, it was Victoria, Australia, not UK.