British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Tooth implants - has anyone had one? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/tooth-implants-has-anyone-had-one-616172/)

pinoybill Jun 22nd 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Tooth implants - has anyone had one?

Had one done about a year ago in the UK.
Very pleased with it after earlier dentist had buggered around with root canal work beforehand.
Cost about 2 grand(£2000)and was done in the UK(London burbs)

It was to replace tooth one from back at top, whatever thats called.
No cosmetic urge, just wanted to keep mouth as healthy as possibe and it assists hold a gumshield in place better.

It was quite a drawn out process, as once old tooth removed, had to wait for gum to heal. Then had titanium "bolt" fitted to jaw where tooth used to be.Probably the most painful part of the process.Knocked into place with something that looks a bit like a toffee hammer.
Then 3 or 4 months later when it has taken hold I think they fitted implant.
Could have sworn there were a few more visits dotted around the process.
A year down the line I have no complaints whatsoever.They will try and match the colour of the implant to your remaining teeth and there is normally a bit of gum shrinkage where the original tooth was extracted.
This is noticable only on close inspection and causes no discomfort whatsoever.

After a good few months of missing the extracted tooth and then many more months of procedures to make and fix the implant I would still give it a huge thumbs up. :thumbsup:

MacScot Jun 22nd 2009 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by pinoybill (Post 7688716)
Had one done about a year ago in the UK.
Very pleased with it after earlier dentist had buggered around with root canal work beforehand.
Cost about 2 grand(£2000)and was done in the UK(London burbs)

It was to replace tooth one from back at top, whatever thats called.
No cosmetic urge, just wanted to keep mouth as healthy as possibe and it assists hold a gumshield in place better.

It was quite a drawn out process, as once old tooth removed, had to wait for gum to heal. Then had titanium "bolt" fitted to jaw where tooth used to be.Probably the most painful part of the process.Knocked into place with something that looks a bit like a toffee hammer.
Then 3 or 4 months later when it has taken hold I think they fitted implant.
Could have sworn there were a few more visits dotted around the process.
A year down the line I have no complaints whatsoever.They will try and match the colour of the implant to your remaining teeth and there is normally a bit of gum shrinkage where the original tooth was extracted.
This is noticable only on close inspection and causes no discomfort whatsoever.

After a good few months of missing the extracted tooth and then many more months of procedures to make and fix the implant I would still give it a huge thumbs up. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for that info. I have exactly same position as you. Given your thumbs up and what others have said...I am now convinced and happy to go ahead. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who responded. :)

Confucius Jun 23rd 2009 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7687580)
I was wondering if any BE has had a tooth implant and, if so, are you happy with the result.

I've been recommended to have one rather than a MacPherson bridge. Total cost is around DHS 16,000. Wow !

16 grand for a fake tooth??? What's the market price on an authentic tooth???

MacScot Jun 23rd 2009 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7690913)
16 grand for a fake tooth??? What's the market price on an authentic tooth???

Afraid that's about the going price.

Sixpence from the tooth fairy for a real (authentic) tooth was the going rate in the 60s/70s...not sure of the going rate now...

Thydney Jun 23rd 2009 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7687679)
My brother has... in GB. It was a front tooth and a bit of a traumatic drill to get the "root" in, but the result is good.

I've heard that UK dentists are hesitant to do them if you smoke though, cos it makes the colour match tricky, especially if you then give up somewhere down the line - your other teeth will get whiter, but the porcelain implant will stay the same. It could just be UK dentists though...

Alternatively get a steel tooth! ahah!

It's not the colour it's the fact that it cut's down on the chance of it being a sucess becasue of all the crap smoking leaves in your mouth.

I had 3 done about 12-13 years ago they were done at the Manchester Dental Teaching hospital by a couple of professors and cost me nothing:D
The catch I later found out was that I was an experiment:blink:. They have come a long way since mine which involved quite major surgery. I'm happy with them they were a lot better than the alternative. They are no different to my real teeth

Madam Medusa Jun 23rd 2009 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7691771)

Sixpence from the tooth fairy for a real (authentic) tooth was the going rate in the 60s/70s...not sure of the going rate now...

the medusa tooth fairy is quite generous and pays 50 dhs...

MM, xx

MacScot Jun 23rd 2009 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7691846)

MM, xx

Wow..almost $18 Australian ! :ohmy:

MacScot Jun 23rd 2009 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 7691824)
It's not the colour it's the fact that it cut's down on the chance of it being a sucess becasue of all the crap smoking leaves in your mouth.

I had 3 done about 12-13 years ago they were done at the Manchester Dental Teaching hospital by a couple of professors and cost me nothing:D
The catch I later found out was that I was an experiment:blink:. They have come a long way since mine which involved quite major surgery. I'm happy with them they were a lot better than the alternative. They are no different to my real teeth

Great that's what I was wanting to hear from people with the experience :)

Madam Medusa Jun 23rd 2009 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7691864)
Wow..almost $18 Australian ! :ohmy:

i know, i know...it's monsieur medusa's fault, he was, err, "managing" the tooth fairy the first time and it's set a precedent...

MM, xx

Confucius Jun 23rd 2009 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7691771)

That's cheap...

Confucius Jun 23rd 2009 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7691846)

MM, xx

Hah!!! If the kiddies shed an artificial tooth, how much will the tooth fairy put under the pillow???

Madam Medusa Jun 23rd 2009 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7691973)
Hah!!! If the kiddies shed an artificial tooth, how much will the tooth fairy put under the pillow???

now you're being silly, tooth fairies don't do fakes...

MM, xx

Thydney Jun 23rd 2009 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7691977)

MM, xx

isn't that the realm of fakirs?

Confucius Jun 23rd 2009 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7691977)

MM, xx

Well, speaking of silly, you're the one who believes in tooth fairies, not me...

Confucius Jun 23rd 2009 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 7691982)
isn't that the realm of fakirs?

Mother fakirs...