British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Tooth implants - has anyone had one? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/tooth-implants-has-anyone-had-one-616172/)

MacScot Jun 22nd 2009 10:14 am

Tooth implants - has anyone had one?

I was wondering if any BE has had a tooth implant and, if so, are you happy with the result.

I've been recommended to have one rather than a MacPherson bridge. Total cost is around DHS 16,000. Wow !

Hello.Kitty Jun 22nd 2009 10:55 am

Re: Tooth implants - has anyone had one?

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7687580)
I was wondering if any BE has had a tooth implant and, if so, are you happy with the result.

I've been recommended to have one rather than a MacPherson bridge. Total cost is around DHS 16,000. Wow !

My brother has... in GB. It was a front tooth and a bit of a traumatic drill to get the "root" in, but the result is good.

I've heard that UK dentists are hesitant to do them if you smoke though, cos it makes the colour match tricky, especially if you then give up somewhere down the line - your other teeth will get whiter, but the porcelain implant will stay the same. It could just be UK dentists though...

Alternatively get a steel tooth! ahah!

MacScot Jun 22nd 2009 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7687679)
My brother has... in GB. It was a front tooth and a bit of a traumatic drill to get the "root" in, but the result is good.

I've heard that UK dentists are hesitant to do them if you smoke though, cos it makes the colour match tricky, especially if you then give up somewhere down the line - your other teeth will get whiter, but the porcelain implant will stay the same. It could just be UK dentists though...

Alternatively get a steel tooth! ahah!

Thanks for that. The traumatic drilling for the titanium screw is a bit off-putting.

The dentists/orthodontic surgeons here in Dubai say there is now 99% success rate for tooth implants compared with 90% about 5 years ago. But, the minimum screw length is 8 mm...I have 5.3 mm so I need some 3-mm artificial bone matrix addition, which they say takes about 15 to 20 minutes.

Will have to read up more on peoples' experiences before I finally decide.

Euc- Jun 22nd 2009 11:11 am

My stepdad is actually in the process right now to get them, they drilled everything last monday (only his upper jaw though), the stitches will be removed coming thursday and he'll get back to work next week. Then they have to wait till everything is healed before they can put in the teeth.

What exactly do you want to know? I could ask for ya :)

Roadking Jun 22nd 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7687580)

Why would you want bigger teeth...?

yoyoy Jun 22nd 2009 11:39 am

Yes, I had one about a year ago and it is great, I wouldnt say it is the most pleasant experience but it dosen't really hurt as you are all numbed up but it is a bit rough with all the drilling, screwing etc, but I was back at work the next day with a few Panadol to get me through.

I had it done in Dubai and it was 15K all up.

Go for it, I wish I had of done it sooner.

shiva Jun 22nd 2009 11:52 am

this may be a ridiculous question but i have absolutely no knowledge of tooth transplantation.

But, where do they get the teeth to transplant from?
also how does this compare to crowns if at all

MacScot Jun 22nd 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7687878)
this may be a ridiculous question but i have absolutely no knowledge of tooth transplantation.

But, where do they get the teeth to transplant from?
also how does this compare to crowns if at all

Haha...it's not a tooth 'transplant' but a tooth 'implant', the latter being an artificial cap tooth.

MacScot Jun 22nd 2009 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by yoyoy (Post 7687830)
Yes, I had one about a year ago and it is great, I wouldnt say it is the most pleasant experience but it dosen't really hurt as you are all numbed up but it is a bit rough with all the drilling, screwing etc, but I was back at work the next day with a few Panadol to get me through.

I had it done in Dubai and it was 15K all up.

Go for it, I wish I had of done it sooner.

Thanks for that. I was aware that it is a bit like a tooth extraction..,with all the grinding, drilling and reaming noises..but with no pain seeing you are under a local anaesthetic. Well you sound pleased with the result, which makes me now want to do it.

MacScot Jun 22nd 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7687733)
My stepdad is actually in the process right now to get them, they drilled everything last monday (only his upper jaw though), the stitches will be removed coming thursday and he'll get back to work next week. Then they have to wait till everything is healed before they can put in the teeth.

What exactly do you want to know? I could ask for ya :)

It was more of a question about whether you are aware of a pressure after the screw is in place..I wanted to know that after a while that I would not be aware of its presence. I once had a bridge and always was aware of something foreign in my mouth and found it discomforting.. a bit like wearing a ring !

shiva Jun 22nd 2009 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7687958)
Haha...it's not a tooth 'transplant' but a tooth 'implant', the latter being an artificial cap tooth.

pmsl

so how if at all is it different from a normal crown

MacScot Jun 22nd 2009 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7687754)
Why would you want bigger teeth...?

..all the better to eat you with...said Grandmother wolf

Hello.Kitty Jun 22nd 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7687989)
pmsl

so how if at all is it different from a normal crown

a normal crown sits over what's left of your own tooth... with an implant, they take your tooth out and drill through the old root's location so that they can screw in a completely fake tooth.

They generally do it if your own tooth in question is completely shot or if there's not enough bad teeth in a row to warrant a denture-type thing.

yoyoy Jun 22nd 2009 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7687984)
It was more of a question about whether you are aware of a pressure after the screw is in place..I wanted to know that after a while that I would not be aware of its presence. I once had a bridge and always was aware of something foreign in my mouth and found it discomforting.. a bit like wearing a ring !

No you don't feel like there is anything foreign in your mouth, in fact the implant feels and looks totally natural if not better than my own teeth!

Your dentist has probably told you but you go in and have the screw implanted and a temporary tooth put on whist they wait for the screw to bond to the bone properly, then a month later you go and have the permanent porcelain tooth glued and screwed...sounds charming but the result is really great.

shiva Jun 22nd 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7688006)
a normal crown sits over what's left of your own tooth... with an implant, they take your tooth out and drill through the old root's location so that they can screw in a completely fake tooth.

They generally do it if your own tooth in question is completely shot or if there's not enough bad teeth in a row to warrant a denture-type thing.

hmm bizarre, i have had two of these for 20yrs and always thought they were crowns (thats how my dentists have refered to them anyway). teeth were knocked out root removed and a pin implanted into my jaw bone, tooth set on top.

Oh and if the temporary tooth comes off, the feeling of the metal pin in your mouth is truely one of the most bizzare sensations ever.