Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Too beautiful to go into politics

Too beautiful to go into politics

Old Aug 19th 2013, 1:23 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too beautiful to go into politics

Originally Posted by Scamp
I just don't trust any rupees at the moment my friend.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
ha! touche mo capitan!

lost cause I am afraid
the only revolution they will see is a french one and not in the very distant future from the look of things since the economic divide is HUGE and keeps on growing
and the army not willing to let go of power even when they are not in power since they are the largest consumer of the annual budget and what little is left is eaten up by the corrupt politicians and the interest on the loans to world banks etc
value of rupee has declined by 25% in the past one year if you can believe that
Pakistan is well and truly FUBARed . Iran has potential and dare I say it will modernize (i.e. towards a more progressive attitude) in the not too distant future.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Politics is an ugly business.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

... a lot of people in Iran are optimistic about him and are hoping for good things. me...I just want the pre 1979 Iran back
I hope you're not serious about that. The Shah was a thoroughly nasty bastard, and a puppet of the CIA and MI6. What would you think of a Russian who wanted Stalin back? (If you were joking - sorrryy!)
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:48 am

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I hope you're not serious about that. The Shah was a thoroughly nasty bastard, and a puppet of the CIA and MI6. What would you think of a Russian who wanted Stalin back? (If you were joking - sorrryy!)
well I actually said pre-1979, not the Shah
I do not believe in any form of monarchy, all humans are created equal as far as I am concerned
from what I read about it, Iran was a pretty cool-cat place to be before the revolution
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The US has just officially admitted they helped overthrow Mossadegh.Better late than never.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23762970

--

The US support for Pakistani military dictators also played a big part in Pakistan's civil society and progressives being sidelined or altogether purged; is what I was told by Pakistani college acquaitences.

Although , Pakistanis have also said that Pakistan is very much a tribal, feudal and racist society run by a few families and the military/security industrial complex which like Egypt is intimately involved in the economy.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

well I actually said pre-1979, not the Shah
I do not believe in any form of monarchy, all humans are created equal as far as I am concerned
from what I read about it, Iran was a pretty cool-cat place to be before the revolution
The Iranians (mostly Persians) who emigrated outside have a stereotype as nominal Muslims, if that . What I read online is that Persians (the upper classes) would like nothing better than to shed Islam as they see it as Arab cultural imperialism that ran roughshod over Pre Islamic Persian culture.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

A set of these might have kept them happy, as long as they didn't think the nose looked like what Meow missed:

Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Meow
You spelt penises wrong...
hahahaha
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The US has just officially admitted they helped overthrow Mossadegh.Better late than never.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23762970

--

The US support for Pakistani military dictators also played a big part in Pakistan's civil society and progressives being sidelined or altogether purged; is what I was told by Pakistani college acquaitences.

Although , Pakistanis have also said that Pakistan is very much a tribal, feudal and racist society run by a few families and the military/security industrial complex which like Egypt is intimately involved in the economy.
add elitist to that list, the rich run the country and the comparison between the paki and the egyptian armies is spot on btw
Ill tell you a story and I will leave it upto you to decide if its a conspiracy theory or not, I have a very good older friend who was forced to retire as a brigadier although he was 100% general material
very straight forward and outspoken typical army man and he told me this fact : everytime there are friendly overtures of any type from the paki civilian government towards the indians, there is one or another type of 'incident' which totally derails or sidetracks the process for another few years

if you were given a LOT of money to do something and you enjoy all sorts of other economic benefits apart from that as well, like highly subsidized land acquisitions, medical benefits, educational benefits, tax benefits etc to name only a few (the most successful bank in pakistan is run by the army trust, its on the pakistani stock exchange and its stocks never falter)...then when you feel that someone is going to take that away from you, you naturally do what you can to stop that from happening
it is in the armys interests to keep things a bit high-stance with the indians, is all I am saying