British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Thursday Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/thursday-thread-918641/)

DXBtoDOH Nov 1st 2018 10:47 am

Re: Thursday Thread

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12586107)
You know what, you're right. Why not, it works?

I've just been sent a calendar invite for a working group meeting next Thursday 5-6pm. Unless it's in the pub, no ****ing chance.

Who would ever schedule a meeting at 5 on Thursday? Let alone any time Thursday after 3?

Sadistic people, that's who.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 1st 2018 11:12 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12586161)
Who would ever schedule a meeting at 5 on Thursday? Let alone any time Thursday after 3?

Unfortunately the person who's done it is lovely so telling her that I won't be there felt bad when explaining that I'll be at home or in the pub instead of the office.

Millhouse Nov 1st 2018 11:13 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12586161)

I have a video conference at 5 today

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 1st 2018 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12586188)
I have a video conference at 5 today

Once, you and I played 9 holes at Emirates in the evening and you spent most of the time on the phone to America. Brutal.

Desert Dog Nov 1st 2018 12:53 pm

Desert racing with the Emirates Motorsport Club tomorrow in RAK near to Dhaid. Early night for me as we will hit the road at 05:30 to get to the start in time. Beers afterwards to wash the dust out of our gullets....

IKnowNothing Nov 1st 2018 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Dog (Post 12586247)
Desert racing with the Emirates Motorsport Club tomorrow in RAK near to Dhaid. Early night for me as we will hit the road at 05:30 to get to the start in time. Beers afterwards to wash the dust out of our gullets....

Good luck Mr. Dog, tell me, how many of the vehicles in the baja has Saluki Motorsport had a hand in prepping?

Brains1983 Nov 1st 2018 3:40 pm

I'm heading up to Taste of Abu Dhabi with the family. A quiet say I suspect. Will have the wife drive back so I can have a beer or 6.

Golden Tulip in Ghantoot has a Brewfest on. 99dibs, unlimited beer for 8 hours (50 to choose from, although I suspect it may just be the cooking later that's included in the unlimited beer package). might pop in for a look on the way back.

Pops Piedmont Nov 1st 2018 4:02 pm

Beer and football

What else is there?

IKnowNothing Nov 3rd 2018 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dog (Post 12586247)

And you won!

Well done the dog and it's kennel staff.:thumbsup:

Desert Dog Nov 4th 2018 10:12 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12587134)
And you won! Well done the dog and it's kennel staff.:thumbsup:

We did! We prepared three of the cars that entered. Pretty pleased with that result... and the refreshing ales afterwards!

jam25mack Nov 4th 2018 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dog (Post 12587650)
We did! We prepared three of the cars that entered. Pretty pleased with that result... and the refreshing ales afterwards!

Good work!

I've always wondered what you need to drop to do races like this. How much are you talking? Do you rent out the cars or would one need to buy them?

Desert Dog Nov 4th 2018 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12587664)
Good work! I've always wondered what you need to drop to do races like this. How much are you talking? Do you rent out the cars or would one need to buy them?

A Polaris RZR / Yamaha YXZ UTV will be in the region of AED 12,000.00 for a one day rental. Purchasing a fully prepped UTV will be approx AED 115K and is very dependent on the specification.

The big cars are a different animal and depends how many events you would intend to undertake to make it worthwhile. Costs for a new car vary between AED 700K to AED 1.6M! ;-) :-)

jam25mack Nov 4th 2018 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Dog (Post 12587666)
A Polaris RZR / Yamaha YXZ UTV will be in the region of AED 12,000.00 for a one day rental. Purchasing a fully prepped UTV will be approx AED 115K and is very dependent on the specification.

The big cars are a different animal and depends how many events you would intend to undertake to make it worthwhile. Costs for a new car vary between AED 700K to AED 1.6M! ;-) :-)

Interesting!

Does the rental rate include support? Transport, mechanics etc?

Desert Dog Nov 4th 2018 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12587697)
Interesting! Does the rental rate include support? Transport, mechanics etc?

Yes, it is fully supported, but if you break it, you fix it! :lol:

IKnowNothing Nov 5th 2018 5:43 am

Go on jam25mack, you know you want to.