Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Three cheers for the kiwi & aussie doing a bank runner

Three cheers for the kiwi & aussie doing a bank runner

Old May 24th 2009, 6:29 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three cheers for the kiwi & aussie doing a bank runner

out of interest, why is it when individuals who arent bankers run off and spend money that isnt theirs we hunt them down and prosecute them....

Yet, when bankers the world over spend and lose money that isnt theirs, we bail them out to the tune of billions, tell them it will be alright, pat them on the back and ask them to do it all over again

Curious
Old May 24th 2009, 6:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
True, but still...The issue is that of ethics, when someone opens a bank account the bank doesn't tell them to return money deposited by error...

Because we all deposit money in our bank accounts in error

Yes, it is a question in ethics, but sadly fewer and fewer seem to have them these days. The money these people ran away with did not belong to them and the fact the bank made a massive cock up doesn't change that fact.

-
Old May 24th 2009, 6:36 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
speaking of which, I was considering leaving fitness first as I don't get to the gym as much and for AED 350 a month its a waste of money - but when I checked through my accounts, it seems that when I told them my new bank details 6 or 7 months ago they've never taken any money from me....

So should I stay or should I go now?

i have the same thing with showtime, i've had it for over a year and they still havent taken any money from me......way i see it is tough shit, i've upheld my end of the agreement, i'm happy enough to pay, if they then dont collect the money thats their issue not mine.
Same with the gym mate, if i were you i'd keep using it for free.
Old May 24th 2009, 6:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
out of interest, why is it when individuals who arent bankers run off and spend money that isnt theirs we hunt them down and prosecute them....

Yet, when bankers the world over spend and lose money that isnt theirs, we bail them out to the tune of billions, tell them it will be alright, pat them on the back and ask them to do it all over again

Curious
Because they have a mandate to do so...

Out of curiosity, are you referring to investment bankers or those running retail banks?

-
Old May 24th 2009, 6:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Meow
Because they have a mandate to do so...

Out of curiosity, are you referring to investment bankers or those running retail banks?

-
both seem equally capable of forgetting their financial education and having money slip through their fingers these days so......
Old May 24th 2009, 6:45 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by shiva
both seem equally capable of forgetting their financial education and having money slip through their fingers these days so......
Well investment bankers/fund managers cannot stop global stockmarkets from falling so their skills should be measured again the average performance. If you cannot bear to see your investments fall in value you shouldn't be in the markets.

The retail banks have not lost depositors money (with a few potential Icelandic exceptions). In the UK, no one has lost a penny from their bank or deposit accounts. The share prices have fallen and interest rates have been cut, but that is far from the same thing.

Certainly, many banks have been badly managed and people overpaid for poor performance, but it is not the same as raiding the safe and running off with gold bars.

-
Old May 24th 2009, 6:52 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

But it wasn't their money so that makes it theft, no matter whether the bank has cocked up or not.

The money doesn't belong to the bank, it belongs to all their account holders (and the shareholders) and you can guarantee that they are the ones who will end up paying for the loss somehow.

-

I agree Meow, it's rather like 'theft by finding'- which is a common law crime in the UK- upheld by the Courts in accordance with civilis principles.

This pair might get a few years of hedonistic lifestyle somewhere like Marbella....but they will still be looking over their shoulders.
Probably reflect and regret from a very tiny room all too soon.
Old May 24th 2009, 6:52 am
**** it we'll do it live

Well investment bankers/fund managers cannot stop global stockmarkets from falling so their skills should be measured again the average performance. If you cannot bear to see your investments fall in value you shouldn't be in the markets.
no but their collective ignorance can cause it to crash apparently, and no i havent lost a penny in this crash
The retail banks have not lost depositors money (with a few potential Icelandic exceptions). In the UK, no one has lost a penny from their bank or deposit accounts. The share prices have fallen and interest rates have been cut, but that is far from the same thing.the icelandic farse is a cracker, as for loses, no, more imaginary money has been thrown after the loss to ensure that individuals actually had money, my question would be do we count it as a loss when they will have to pay it back in the future?

Certainly, many banks have been badly managed and people overpaid for poor performance, but it is not the same as raiding the safe and running off with gold bars.

-
no its a lot more sophisticated and a darn sight less honest than just taking the bullion and running
Old May 24th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Youre right meow, it may be wrong and all that but if it happened to me and I knew I'd never be caught, I'd keep the money too.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:02 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

The retail banks have not lost depositors money (with a few potential Icelandic exceptions). In the UK, no one has lost a penny from their bank or deposit accounts. The share prices have fallen and interest rates have been cut, but that is far from the same thing.

-
seconded.

when looking at retail banking, they're not (directly) responsible for the current financial mess (yes, with CDO's and writing bad mortgages to NINJA's they do hold a certain link in the chain, granted). but here's a question, why use them? yes you need them for the paycheck to be sent, but if you find yourself so annoyed with the charges, get your paycheck in the bank and on the same day, withdraw it (all) in cash. job done. you're money is with you and you alone are responsible for it. it's not as if it's earning any interest now in the bank? or are there more tangible/intangible benefits to having a bank account that we forget when we're sucking on a squirrel-grip-of-a-fee for being 50p short on the balance?

they have their place, they perform a service, and if you tred lightly, it all goes pretty smoothly. this couple (from the OP) are idiots...
Old May 24th 2009, 10:32 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

-
I'd love to run off with a gold bar....
Old May 24th 2009, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Because we all deposit money in our bank accounts in error

Yes, it is a question in ethics, but sadly fewer and fewer seem to have them these days. The money these people ran away with did not belong to them and the fact the bank made a massive cock up doesn't change that fact.

-

You'll get cross-eyed if you keep that up...

What I meant was the bank doesn't have something in writing that you should return the (bank)money deposited by error by the bank...Rolleyes...

Anyway, for that money, screw ethics...I'll take that money and go to Brazil, and it will be enough to last for 3 generations...And i'll send you a postcard, with my grandchildren rolling their eyes at you...
Old May 24th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Confucius
You'll get cross-eyed if you keep that up...

What I meant was the bank doesn't have something in writing that you should return the (bank)money deposited by error by the bank...Rolleyes...

Anyway, for that money, screw ethics...I'll take that money and go to Brazil, and it will be enough to last for 3 generations...And i'll send you a postcard, with my grandchildren rolling their eyes at you...
Lol..
Longer than 3 generations if you play it right. Not to mention the amount that you could continously drip feed to charity, doing a bit of worthwhile, charitable work instead of a 9-5, raising your offspring, getting them well educated to earn high paying jobs, paying taxes, starting businesses but nah... that wouldn't be ethical. Banking institutions would do much better things with it.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Lol..
Longer than 3 generations if you play it right. Not to mention the amount that you could continously drip feed to charity, doing a bit of worthwhile, charitable work instead of a 9-5, raising your offspring, getting them well educated to earn high paying jobs, paying taxes, starting businesses but nah... that wouldn't be ethical. Banking institutions would do much better things with it.
In that case; I'll open a bank of my own...
Old May 26th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

apparently the sister of the runner put on facebook that she was going to china (to see her sister?), police saw this and was waiting at the airport upon her return

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.