Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving back to Manchester? Think again!!

Thinking of moving back to Manchester? Think again!!

Old Jun 9th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

madferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nice
Default Thinking of moving back to Manchester? Think again!!

It looks like the infamous Ken Livingstone has left his mark on the future of life as we know it in the UK.

News today in the UK that the City of Manchester will most certainly be the next city to get that blasted congestion charge.

CONgestion Charge in Manchester
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thinking of moving back to Manchester? Think again!!

Originally Posted by madferrit
It looks like the infamous Ken Livingstone has left his mark on the future of life as we know it in the UK.

News today in the UK that the City of Manchester will most certainly be the next city to get that blasted congestion charge.

CONgestion Charge in Manchester
Thank god i'm getting out at the right time.

On the plus side my flat is inside the major ring road so might go up in value.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:34 am
W10

I hate to admit it, but the congestion charge (was) great.

They've gone a bit overboard with it now (plans to charge stupid sums for 4x4s etc) but as someone who spends a lot of time within the zone, I have to say in general it has worked.

Having said that - Manchester never really struck me as having appalling traffic. With London I can understand the reasons.

Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

oh shame, i love manchester...

MM, xx
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

madferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nice

Originally Posted by W10
I hate to admit it, but the congestion charge (was) great.

They've gone a bit overboard with it now (plans to charge stupid sums for 4x4s etc) but as someone who spends a lot of time within the zone, I have to say in general it has worked.

Having said that - Manchester never really struck me as having appalling traffic. With London I can understand the reasons.
Initially it worked, but then people realised that the congestion on the outskirts of the zone was horrendous and so they started using the zone again.., thats when Ken raised it to £8. When the zone was extended initially there was an outcry, but then the people in the new zone found that by paying only 10% (90% discount for living in the zone) they were able to drive throughout the entire zone, so we're back to square one again.

I would have been in favour of this if they had got the tube infrasructure into place first. Every weekend there is station after station closed for maintenance and yet they're convinced that the network is working well.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:28 am
W10

The tube infrastructure in London is still fabulous. Public transport has improved enormously.

And driving through Central London is not difficult at all. Not even close to comparison to five years ago.

Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:30 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

every one loves his own country and the city where he was born and reased

but ... would anyone give up all this and consider moving somewhere else forever.. austrailia or canada for example and get new citicenship over there?

or is it always a must for people to go back to where they are from?

what is the real connection that drives someone to go back to where he lived if he can live in a better way somewhere else?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:16 am

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beard Man
every one loves his own country and the city where he was born and reased

but ... would anyone give up all this and consider moving somewhere else forever.. austrailia or canada for example and get new citicenship over there?

or is it always a must for people to go back to where they are from?

what is the real connection that drives someone to go back to where he lived if he can live in a better way somewhere else?
Pick a thread in any one of the countries listed and you will find pages and pages of reasons why people leave their home countries.

As for moving back, read the Moving back to the UK forum.

What you have asked is why people join this forum in the first place.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Beard Man;6452450]every one loves his own country and the city where he was born and reased

QUOTE]

Simply put......yes.