British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Things that people do that piss you off... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/things-people-do-piss-you-off-805779/)

Kix Aug 12th 2013 4:07 pm

Things that people do that piss you off...

Eating a burger/pizza with a knife and fork.

Next.

OleJanx Aug 12th 2013 4:26 pm

Re: Things that people do that piss you off...

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10847005)

Next.

Talking to me when I'm on the telephone. I have two ears but only one brain ( Yes, I know,I know, the jury is out on that ...) but if I'm trying to hear what someone is saying to me, and some motormouth is aslo talking at me, I get pissed off well and truely!

Autonomy Aug 12th 2013 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10847005)

Next.

I sort of get you, but end of the day, it's up to them.

The thing guaranteed to get on my nerves is similar to OleJanx - someone calls you and just says "Hello", of course you reply and pause waiting for some more information, they pause and then just say Hello again, by this point your are "Yes, hello?", this goes on for several f**king centuries while my brain is screaming "you called me! f**king tell me who you are and what you want" and then you have to ask "Yes, hello, who is this and what do you want?" and 10 times out 10 it is useless time sucking shit....

Theseus Aug 12th 2013 4:49 pm

speaking

UKCityGent Aug 12th 2013 4:53 pm

Peoples stupidity;
Lack of get up and go;
No proactive lateral thinking (on second hand no thinking!);
Always need someone to hold their hands as they cant make a decision;
Poor (or no) manners;
Lack of tenacity

scot47 Aug 12th 2013 4:54 pm

The telephone has not led to an increase in human happiness.

OleJanx Aug 12th 2013 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10847062)
Peoples stupidity;
Lack of get up and go;
No proactive lateral thinking (on second hand no thinking!);
Always need someone to hold their hands as they cant make a decision;
Poor (or no) manners

Agree with all of these. Manners cost nothing, yet mean so much.
People who need help to even take a piss irritate me.
Get up and go - what, are they related to sloths? Which imbecile gave them a job?
Too many people whose idea of lateral thinking is to lie down and have a kip.
ARRRGGGHHHH!

scot47 Aug 12th 2013 4:58 pm

Arab Callisthenics.

OleJanx Aug 12th 2013 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10847066)
The telephone has not led to an increase in human happiness.

The mobile phone should be set aflame upon an almighty pyre.
Damnation to Alexander Graham Bell.

Ned Ludd.

OleJanx Aug 12th 2013 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10847077)
Arab Callisthenics.

Between 1 and 4 p.m.

Bob Aug 12th 2013 6:21 pm

A good chunk of life has been put into the pet peeves thread else where, which is good for a laugh... :)

scot47 Aug 12th 2013 6:35 pm

Some people offend by their mere existence !

silversilver Aug 12th 2013 7:09 pm

People who -
Choose to sit down next to you on a train or a bus when the carriage/bus is completely empty.
Use LOL ROFL and all other text speak.
Speed up and almost cause a trolley war when they see that you are heading towards the same checkout as them.
People who name drop.
People who sneeze without covering their nose
People who pick their nose in the car and think that they are invisible to all other human beings.
And so the list goes on ...................

mentalist Aug 12th 2013 8:06 pm

The old chestnuts over here include the inability of many people to understand the concept of the queue, people who insist on entering a lift or train before letting others out first and the failure of most drivers to use their indicators properly or even at all.

Bahtatboy Aug 12th 2013 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10847029)
Talking to me when I'm on the telephone. I have two ears but only one brain ( Yes, I know,I know, the jury is out on that ...) but if I'm trying to hear what someone is saying to me, and some motormouth is aslo talking at me, I get pissed off well and truely!

When I'm on the phone in the car, and another occupant then makes a call. Especially when I'm driving as well.

silversilver Aug 12th 2013 8:41 pm

Actually how could I have forgotten my number one piss off - people who live their lives in the virtual world. Over the summer I encountered a few - checking in to places, photographing their dinner to put on Facebook, writing about what a great night they are having - well get off your i-phone and enjoy it!! (Smart phones killing the art of conversation and nights out around the world ......)

Sent from my i-phone

Autonomy Aug 12th 2013 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10847289)
Some people offend by their mere existence !

I never had you down as being so self aware. Fair play.

Dubaiexile Aug 13th 2013 4:40 am

Phone ringing
Phone answered "tell me"
Tell you what you twat!!!

Meow Aug 13th 2013 7:40 am

Where to start?

Deliberately misunderstand in a pathetic attempt at seeming holier than thou
Wear yellow ties
Dropping litter
Leaving cupboard doors open
Eating crisps overly noisily
Shoving other in the ankles with shopping trolleys or pushchairs
Creeping Americanisms
Going on about detoxing when they have organs that do that for them
Claiming to have a food allergy when it's a minor intolerance
Almost everything for girls (and women) being pink
Photographing every meal and thinking that having instagram makes them a photographer
Serve me instant coffee
Set up a pointless blog them claim they are a writer
Mistreat employees (indeed anyone) and animals

For some it's as simple as they are breathing

I have a headache and a bad back today, so I could probably go on for hours...

Bahtatboy Aug 13th 2013 7:53 am

When you ask--clearly and in writing--two or more questions, and the response doesn't answer all the questions and the respondent doesn't acknowledge that fact.

When I had direct reports (ahh, life's so simple now :D) I used this as an example of what was the biggest portion of appraisals--how many times I had to ask before I got a full answer (even if part of it was, "Sorry, regarding point b I don't know, but I'll get back to you, but here's the answer to the other questions you asked.").

(I'm also very against incorrect punctuation--if you can manage to use four punctuation marks in succession that's definite browny (Brownie?) points.)

And WTF's wrong with a yellow tie?

Meow Aug 13th 2013 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10848119)
And WTF's wrong with a yellow tie?

Where does it say the answer has to be rational? (Attention to detail?)

I have a visceral dislike of them.

Bahtatboy Aug 13th 2013 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10848122)
Where does it say the answer has to be rational? (Attention to detail?)

I have a visceral dislike of them.

Fair enuff. :cool:

Cypselos Aug 13th 2013 1:02 pm

Punctuation pedants tend to tread a fine line between irritating and amusing. They almost invariably bugger it up.

Jim Smith Aug 13th 2013 1:57 pm

I have a headache and a bad back today, so I could probably go on for hours...[/QUOTE]

Umm.....Sounds as if you did!!!

Bahtatboy Aug 13th 2013 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 10848574)
Punctuation pedants tend to tread a fine line between irritating and amusing. They almost invariably bugger it up.

Almost.

Blue Cat Aug 13th 2013 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10848102)
Where to start?

Deliberately misunderstand in a pathetic attempt at seeming holier than thou
Wear yellow ties
Dropping litter
Leaving cupboard doors open
Eating crisps overly noisily
Shoving other in the ankles with shopping trolleys or pushchairs
Creeping Americanisms
Going on about detoxing when they have organs that do that for them
Claiming to have a food allergy when it's a minor intolerance
Almost everything for girls (and women) being pink
Photographing every meal and thinking that having instagram makes them a photographer
Serve me instant coffee
Set up a pointless blog them claim they are a writer
Mistreat employees (indeed anyone) and animals

For some it's as simple as they are breathing

I have a headache and a bad back today, so I could probably go on for hours...

for you that list is remarkably small :rofl:

DOCUAE Aug 13th 2013 4:10 pm

1. People who don't understand the difference between "Reply" & "Reply to All" when emailing.
2. People in an open plan office, who shout across the office, rather than getting up and going over to talk to others.
3. People who assume my Filipino wife is a shop assistant and not a fellow shopper.
4. People who have no concept of giving way, particularly on roundabouts.
5. People who blatantly lie when giving a delivery time etc. because they think it is what you want to hear.
6. Lateness - if you're stuck in traffic and going to be late for the meeting then call me or sms me.

The Dean Aug 13th 2013 5:09 pm

OK - a few.......... I think I may have mentioned one or two of these before...... :o

* When I send an e-mail to someone, who then forwards it to someone else without including me in the 'cc' (or, at the very least, informing me that they have forwarded it) - totally unacceptable e-tiquette. [Golden Rule - if you wouldn't do it with a good old-fashioned letter, don't do it with an e-mail]

* When four people go out for a meal, and they sit you at a table for six - the waiter always comes along and clears away the other two place settings - why??? :banghead::banghead:

* When someone gets into a lift, and insists on pressing the completely pointless 'Doors Close' button, presumably so he can reach the 28th floor 0.47 secs more quickly........

* WORST OF ALL - when it's raining hard on a windy day - the idiots who insist on walking forward into the oncoming rain with their umbrella held horizontally, making it impossible to see that they are about to poke a small child in the eye with the pointy bit....... :frown::frown::frown:

More later, probably............

Bahtatboy Aug 13th 2013 5:37 pm

[QUOTE=The Dean;10848999]

* When four people go out for a meal, and they sit you at a table for six - the waiter always comes along and clears away the other two place settings - why??? :banghead::banghead:

QUOTE]

So you don't dribble on the crockery and cutlery which they'd then have to wash...

Heard this from someone else--just don't get the complaint. Leaves more room for the diners and their food and glasses. Actually, I'd ask them to clear the other settings.

kittycat1 Aug 13th 2013 6:16 pm

people who put an empty carton of milk back in the fridge grr

The Dean Aug 13th 2013 6:38 pm

[QUOTE=Bahtatboy;10849063]

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10848999)

QUOTE]

So you don't dribble on the crockery and cutlery which they'd then have to wash...

Heard this from someone else--just don't get the complaint. Leaves more room for the diners and their food and glasses. Actually, I'd ask them to clear the other settings.

That's a charitable view - surely a cynic would say it was to make the table 'seem' emptier, thus encouraging the diners to order more food........

Anyway - point taken. I guess I just dislike things that seem pointless.......

Millhouse Aug 13th 2013 7:34 pm

I must be really irritating, I do all of these things.

nonthaburi Aug 13th 2013 10:15 pm

People being tight .
Child haters , normally people with no kids .
People who walk down narrow streets with umbrellas and don't lift it up a bit when they walk past you so you have to bend your head over.
People in the UK who complain about crap UK summers , who then moan about it being too hot when you do get a nice bit of weather . FFS !!!

Blue Cat Aug 14th 2013 5:31 am

[QUOTE=Bahtatboy;10849063]

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10848999)

QUOTE]

I like it when you take a table for 4 when there is only 2 of you but you are waiting for another two guests but they still clear the crockery :rofl:

Meow Aug 14th 2013 5:35 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10849487)
People being tight .
Child haters , normally people with no kids .
People who walk down narrow streets with umbrellas and don't lift it up a bit when they walk past you so you have to bend your head over.
People in the UK who complain about crap UK summers , who then moan about it being too hot when you do get a nice bit of weather . FFS !!!

People that have no concept of irony...

Bahtatboy Aug 14th 2013 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10849824)
People that have no concept of irony...

The use of that instead of who in the above context ;)

Meow Aug 14th 2013 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10849858)
The use of that instead of who in the above context ;)

Oops. Forgive me. I haven't had any coffee yet and therefore the brain is not working properly.

I have some more offerings. Most are really things that mildly irritate as few get me really angry.

People who speak too loudly, as if they want the whole world to hear
People who sniff constantly. I'm the one that offers them a tissue so they stop
The fact I have never learned to type properly so make too many mistakes when posting quickly on internet forums
Lazy people. Being occasionally lazy is good, but for some it's a permanent state
Tooting car horns at 2am to tell your household you are home and also disturbing your neighbours

Bahtatboy Aug 14th 2013 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10849870)
Oops. Forgive me. I haven't had any coffee yet and therefore the brain is not working properly.

Actually there are lots of precedents in literature for the use of that, and I don't know of any authority (mainly coz I haven't looked) which (or who) insists on who, except for my high school English teacher. Authorities and precedents aside, I just think it sounds ugly. But I can forgive most people most things pre-coffee :D

jam25mack Aug 14th 2013 7:00 am

-Badly behaved kids in malls running about the place with no consideration for others
-Families in malls walking 5 abreast and walking at 0.5mph
-Idiots with strollers who think that as they have a stroller they should have right of way.
-Idiot locals pulling handbrake turns outside my house then denying it and asking why I am pi$$ed off when I confront them
-Unreasonable people (generally me)
-Liars
-People who stir stuff unnecessarily behind peoples back (although I am a fan of a good gossip)
-Poor service
-People who think they are too important to queue
-People who spell 'cheque' as check
-Americans (well most of em)
-People who send me stuff on facebook or by email which say I have to send them on to X amount of people to prevent certain doom or ones that say ''I know 90% of you won't put this as your status....'' etc. A-holes!

That'll do for now....

jam25mack Aug 14th 2013 7:02 am

Oh, last one.

People who complain about the smell from ciggs and then proceed to drink coffee and breath it all over you! I agree cigg smell isn't great but coffee smells f**king horrible!