Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The thin line between nice and annoying...

The thin line between nice and annoying...

Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all
Default Re: The thin line between nice and annoying...

Originally Posted by Spugsy
yeah it's just basic politeness, it is the way I was brought up - and how it should be, is it so hard just to say thanks or even smile if you are trying to get through and I go out of my way to move back and let you through?
If you hold a door for someone and they don't ackonwledge you, simply smile and say clearly - "It's my pleasure". If they are from a culture where such politness is normal, they will shamefully glance in your direction. If they are from a culture where such things are not the norm then the confused look on their face is worth it anyway.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i don't agree...but then i'm too nice to argue with you...

MM, xx
You're too courteous...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
If you hold a door for someone and they don't ackonwledge you, simply smile and say clearly - "It's my pleasure". If they are from a culture where such politness is normal, they will shamefully glance in your direction. If they are from a culture where such things are not the norm then the confused look on their face is worth it anyway.
That doesn't work over here...They will always pass and in the back of their mind will say "sucker"...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is an equally annoying and highly infuriating thing that happens on the roads here in Dubai: when you want to get into a lane, and the clown who can easily let you pass, just pretends he doesn't see you and you don't exist, and continues moving forward, even not hearing your honking, nor seeing your light and also not even knowing that you flicked him 4 middle fingers!!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Confucius
There is an equally annoying and highly infuriating thing that happens on the roads here in Dubai: when you want to get into a lane, and the clown who can easily let you pass, just pretends he doesn't see you and you don't exist, and continues moving forward, even not hearing your honking, nor seeing your light and also not even knowing that you flicked him 4 middle fingers!!!
League of morons!!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

you just haven't got the right technique...a smile can work wonders...

MM, xx
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you just haven't got the right technique...a smile can work wonders...

MM, xx
I never have to smile and make an asshole in a Sunny feel superior to me just because he let me one car in front...He can go *uck himself...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I never have to smile and make an asshole in a Sunny feel superior to me just because he let me one car in front...He can go *uck himself...
that's why you get stuck for hours in traffic...i'd rather get home on time...

MM, xx
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

that's why you get stuck for hours in traffic...i'd rather get home on time...

MM, xx
I get stuck for hours even if I let everyone have their way with me...Still won't change anything...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I get stuck for hours even if I let everyone have their way with me...Still won't change anything...
ah well, you carry on doing your way, i'll do mine...

MM, xx
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ah well, you carry on doing your way, i'll do mine...

MM, xx
Still, no remedy for my ennui...
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Still, no remedy for my ennui...
AK47?