British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Taliban in Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/taliban-qatar-835493/)

Salzburg Jun 3rd 2014 1:28 am

Taliban in Qatar

To those currently in Qatar or in the wider Gulf region: what are your thoughts on the 5 Taliban prisoners being transferred from Gitmo to Qatar for the exchange of the American soldier who was captured in Afghanistan? According to the media in the US it would seem that the 5 former prisoners will be living the life of Riley. What are local media outlets saying about this and what are your thoughts on the situation?

Debowing Jun 3rd 2014 2:58 am

Re: Taliban in Qatar

I think it's no problem, in the Gulf there are all types and certainly among us are some individuals whom you wouldn't want to invite for dinner....However, these individuals are quite harmless here in the Gulf...

co durham boy Jun 3rd 2014 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Salzburg (Post 11286055)
To those currently in Qatar or in the wider Gulf region: what are your thoughts on the 5 Taliban prisoners being transferred from Gitmo to Qatar for the exchange of the American soldier who was captured in Afghanistan? According to the media in the US it would seem that the 5 former prisoners will be living the life of Riley. What are local media outlets saying about this and what are your thoughts on the situation?

The Taliban have had an office here for about a year , the released prisoners cannot leave for 12 months due to a travel ban so they say and with the Yanks having the biggest base in the region here i think that might have something to do with it .

It's all very strange but Qatar's very strange .

Irishbeekeeper Jun 3rd 2014 6:45 am

I think compared to all the tons and tons of Arab money poured into Afghanistan since the past 2 decades to support the Mujs / Taliban, its a fair deal if they got 5 of them in return ;)

Alexa Jun 3rd 2014 10:40 am

A few more? What's the difference ?

Irishbeekeeper Jun 3rd 2014 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 11286376)
A few more? What's the difference ?

Boomhauer Jun 3rd 2014 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11286593)

Do most non Pathan Pakistanis support the Afgan Taleban?

Irishbeekeeper Jun 3rd 2014 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11286925)
Do most non Pathan Pakistanis support the Afgan Taleban?

That is an absolutely brilliant and insightful question mate. And where I cant speak for all of the non Pashtun pakis, I can safely tell you that almost all of the ones that I know are just fine with the afghani taliban. Matter of fact the recent assassinations of some of the paki Taliban leaders by the afghan Taliban was welcomed with open arms and sighs of relief by the majority of the population. By the by, I know for a fact that a lot of Pashtuns also do not like what the paki Taliban have turned into but are afraid of rocking the boat too much otherwise they will start attacking Peshawar again. Case in point : the lack of attacks on Peshawar in the past few months.

Boomhauer Jun 4th 2014 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11286965)
That is an absolutely brilliant and insightful question mate. And where I cant speak for all of the non Pashtun pakis, I can safely tell you that almost all of the ones that I know are just fine with the afghani taliban. Matter of fact the recent assassinations of some of the paki Taliban leaders by the afghan Taliban was welcomed with open arms and sighs of relief by the majority of the population. By the by, I know for a fact that a lot of Pashtuns also do not like what the paki Taliban have turned into but are afraid of rocking the boat too much otherwise they will start attacking Peshawar again. Case in point : the lack of attacks on Peshawar in the past few months.

What you say is also the general gist I got from reading forums,news and OpEds ; that most Pakistanis and the establishment support the Afghan Taleban (Haqqani and his ilk) whereas most non Pathans seem to dispise the Pakistani Taleban (Mehsud , Fazlullah and their ilk).

I noticed some Pathans in online forums disliking the Pakistani Taleban but others are sympathetic because they see the TTP as beneficial to Pashtun Nationalism in their fight against Punjabis and Sindhis.

It is pretty obvious the Pakistani establishmet/Army/ISI etc.. support the Afghan Taleban.

Irishbeekeeper Jun 4th 2014 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11287396)

It is pretty obvious the Pakistani establishmet/Army/ISI etc.. support the Afghan Taleban.

Why do you think youtube is blocked in Pakistan? ;)
Because youtube refused to take down this documentary by the BBC :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaWEstQZVg

redShark Jun 4th 2014 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11287520)
Why do you think youtube is blocked in Pakistan? ;)
Because youtube refused to take down this documentary by the BBC :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaWEstQZVg

I want to ask you a question but you don’t have to answer it if you don’t wish to. I know you hail from Pakistan but is it possible to know what religious/ethnic sect you belong to? I kind of have an idea but not sure if I am right about it, so your answer will help the cause of humanity because it will help me refine my prediction capability :)

Boomhauer Jun 4th 2014 9:48 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 11287638)
I want to ask you a question but you don’t have to answer it if you don’t wish to. I know you hail from Pakistan but is it possible to know what religious/ethnic sect you belong to? I kind of have an idea but not sure if I am right about it, so your answer will help the cause of humanity because it will help me refine my prediction capability :)

I have a hunch that you think he is Shia or Ahmadiya.

Irishbeekeeper Jun 4th 2014 10:48 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 11287638)
so your answer will help the cause of humanity because it will help me refine my prediction capability :)

So refining your prediction capability will help the cause of humanity?
Somehow I hear a resounding nothankyouverymuch from the humanity's corner :D

I don't believe in sects or defining myself or anyone based on that although I AM guilty of being against the nutters who want everyone to follow their way of thinking. But I will tell you my sect as you put it, if you first tell me what sect do YOU think I am from? :)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 4th 2014 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11287699)

I don't believe in sects or defining myself or anyone based on that although I AM guilty of being against the nutters who want everyone to follow their way of thinking. But I will tell you my sect as you put it, if you first tell me what sect do YOU think I am from? :)

I think you're a person and that's all that matters :)

Dumbo Jun 4th 2014 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11287699)

Much more importantly I want to know if you really keep Irish bees?