Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Sweet and Sour Pork Balls

Sweet and Sour Pork Balls

Old Mar 10th 2015, 6:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Sweet and Sour Pork Balls

Morning,

I'm asking you lot for a lot of help at the moment, must be that bored at work eh.

Still, the Mrs has asked where I'd like to go for dinner for my birthday. Now normally a nice steak will tickle my bits, but this time, I really want a good Chinese.

I've been to the one in the Shangri-La years ago, it was nice but really boring if I remember correctly.

I'd rather go somewhere nicer than PF Helmets.

So, anyone know any good Chinese restaurants, preferably close to downtown but definitely not essential.

Thanks in advance,

ScampneedsMSG
Old Mar 10th 2015, 8:44 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sweet and Sour Pork Balls

Originally Posted by Scamp
Morning,

I'm asking you lot for a lot of help at the moment, must be that bored at work eh.

Still, the Mrs has asked where I'd like to go for dinner for my birthday. Now normally a nice steak will tickle my bits, but this time, I really want a good Chinese.
I was about to provide some pearls of wisdom, then realised you were talking about food. As you were.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Royal China, DIFC
Old Mar 10th 2015, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Zheng He's at Mina Salam, but it's the wanky end of the the spectrum, not the MSG and Ketchup end

For something more authentic, complete with reassuring misspelling in the name there's "Xiao Fei Yang restrant" opposite the Royal Meridien.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...98064d437e5199
Old Mar 10th 2015, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I can only get proper sweet and sour pork or chicken balls back in the UK. The sauces here are too spicy or too runny. A good business opportunity!
Old Mar 10th 2015, 11:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
I can only get proper sweet and sour pork or chicken balls back in the UK. The sauces here are too spicy or too runny. A good business opportunity!
Which are as about as Chinese as I am.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
you are as Chinese as you feel
Old Mar 10th 2015, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I was about to provide some pearls of wisdom, then realised you were talking about food. As you were.
That was in there just for you old bean.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Royal China, DIFC
Thanks, will investigate. Easy to get to Harry Ghatto's afterwards too

Originally Posted by Cypselos
Zheng He's at Mina Salam, but it's the wanky end of the the spectrum, not the MSG and Ketchup end

For something more authentic, complete with reassuring misspelling in the name there's "Xiao Fei Yang restrant" opposite the Royal Meridien.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...98064d437e5199
Thank you, will investigate
Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:06 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You don't want Chinese food. You can Chinglish food.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:10 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Millhouse
you are as Chinese as you feel
I did feel a little Chinese last night.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
You don't want Chinese food. You can Chinglish food.
Basically, yes. But I want it to be nice but not too fancy. You know me - 6 courses of a thimble of prettiness isn't going to cut it.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:13 pm
Hit 16's

I did feel a little Chinese last night.
I think it must have been the Chop Suey I ate.

I feel quite English again today.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say they had to be Chinese. Likewise I prefer a good British chicken tikka massala to the genuine Indian stuff, which is much too spicy for my delicate pallet.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

We always go to the Peacock in the Sheraton at JBR. Their food is the closest to British Chinese we've found over here. They do a mean sweet and sour pork

If only they did those massive greasy pancake rolls, sigh...
Old Mar 11th 2015, 7:57 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by mentalist
I didn't say they had to be Chinese. Likewise I prefer a good British chicken tikka massala to the genuine Indian stuff, which is much too spicy for my delicate pallet.
Something like this?

Sweet and Sour Pork Balls-pink-pallet.png

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.