British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The Summer then... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/summer-then-679949/)

Spugsy Aug 5th 2010 6:55 pm

The Summer then...

..sheeeeeeit it's bloody hot - I can't remember when it cools down, september??

Saying that, it pissed down for 10 mins today on the way back from Hatta.

kittycat1 Aug 5th 2010 6:56 pm

Re: The Summer then...

at 12 noon today it was 55 degrees!

Spugsy Aug 5th 2010 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8755728)
at 12 noon today it was 55 degrees!

that can't be right.

kittycat1 Aug 5th 2010 7:06 pm

it was - we checked 3 car thermometers and they all said the same!

Spugsy Aug 5th 2010 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8755748)

they ALWAYS say its about 10 degrees hotter than it is.

kittycat1 Aug 5th 2010 7:20 pm

well I believed it- it did feel extra ******g hot today- and they were posh cars!

kittycat1 Aug 5th 2010 7:21 pm

I have my last opportunity to work on the tan this weekend before my mateys wedding so am thinking 10 minutes will be my limit with factor 30 on!

Patsy Stoned Aug 5th 2010 7:48 pm

Funny, I was thinking that this summer has not been as hot as previous ones.

I am sitting at my computer with the doors open, fans on and no a/c.... very pleasant. The room thermometer shows 33c but it feels a bit cooler than that.

Patsy Stoned Aug 5th 2010 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8755748)

Car thermometers are not reliable darling. They will show a much highter temp than it actually is. Top temp today was 44c

norsk Aug 5th 2010 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8755821)
Car thermometers are not reliable darling. They will show a much highter temp than it actually is. Top temp today was 44c

They are no less reliable than any other thermometer, but if your car has been sitting in the blazing sun for hours of course it will show a bit higher than the real temp. Drive for a few minutes and it will come down...

It was 45 in Manama today. Not too bad..

Patsy Stoned Aug 5th 2010 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8755845)
They are no less reliable than any other thermometer, but if your car has been sitting in the blazing sun for hours of course it will show a bit higher than the real temp. Drive for a few minutes and it will come down...

It was 45 in Manama today. Not too bad..

The official temp is taken at the airport in a special box in the shade.
If anybody stuck a thermometer in direct sunlight it would go above 55c.... not a true reading.
Anyway, I love the heat, I get cold if it drops below 30c :)

Inselaffen Aug 6th 2010 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8755930)
The official temp is taken at the airport in a special box in the shade.
If anybody stuck a thermometer in direct sunlight it would go above 55c.... not a true reading.
Anyway, I love the heat, I get cold if it drops below 30c :)

and of course that official thermometer will never show it reaching 50deg. maybe 49.9 but never 50

Patsy Stoned Aug 6th 2010 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 8756436)
and of course that official thermometer will never show it reaching 50deg. maybe 49.9 but never 50

lol ofcourse not darling :)

Madam Medusa Aug 6th 2010 5:33 am

it's about 20 in london...cooler now at this time in the morning, and one thing i do miss, that crisp sunny morning with a slight chill in the air...i'll be over it in a couple of hours, mind...

MM, xx

MacScot Aug 6th 2010 5:45 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8755770)
I have my last opportunity to work on the tan this weekend before my mateys wedding so am thinking 10 minutes will be my limit with factor 30 on!

Best keep your 10 minutes suntanning before 10 am or after 4 pm...the sun is waking up with a large C-class solar flare this week !

shiva Aug 6th 2010 8:19 am

whilst meteorologically temperature is generally measured in a stevenson screen ie with still air and in the shade its not actually a true reflection of the temperature we experience as we seldom hide out in louverd boxes thus a direct reading in sunlight is just as valid.

think i saw dubai was around 44-45 this week but the western region topped 49 this week and was over 50 a few weeks ago.

as for cars if they have been sitting in the sun for a while its quite possible for the interior temperature to be well over 50 and since you have to try sit in the bloody thing at some point the real temp you experience is in fact 50 plus, regardless of what the airport official temp is.

official meteorological measurements are all fine and good but they record only the known parameters in a controlled environment at a very specific location and are useful only for the official records and mean little in real life situations like burning your ass and hands in the car

Ethos83 Aug 6th 2010 9:28 am

It is hot but not humid. Whilst this summer has been fairly dry just as last summer was, the summer of '08 was far more humid.

hnd Aug 6th 2010 10:54 am

Agree that the humidity has been far lower this year (and last) than previously. Specs have only fogged up a handful of times so far this summer:thumbup:

Out at AR at the moment temp in full sun is reading 55.9c but humidity only 29%.

commander Aug 6th 2010 10:56 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 8757185)
Agree that the humidity has been far lower this year (and last) than previously. Specs have only fogged up a handful of times so far this summer:thumbup:

Out at AR at the moment temp in full sun is reading 55.9c but humidity only 29%.

i thought it has been pretty humid to be honest. my safety glasses have fogged up every single time i leave my office..

Meow Aug 9th 2010 6:08 am

The humidity varies depending on where you are. Numerous times we have been outside, a few km inland, and it's been bearable and have come home which is close to the beach and the humidity has been much higher. Even official reports have put humidity at some 45% some days and that has the effect of increasing the 'feel like' temperature.

lionheart Aug 9th 2010 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8762760)
The humidity varies depending on where you are. Numerous times we have been outside, a few km inland, and it's been bearable and have come home which is close to the beach and the humidity has been much higher. Even official reports have put humidity at some 45% some days and that has the effect of increasing the 'feel like' temperature.

Humidity was 75% in the UK the other day...allegedly.

Meow Aug 9th 2010 8:29 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8762913)

Otherwise known as 'rain'
-

Grace O Malley Aug 9th 2010 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8756729)
it's about 20 in london...cooler now at this time in the morning, and one thing i do miss, that crisp sunny morning with a slight chill in the air...i'll be over it in a couple of hours, mind...

MM, xx

Did you go to Lisa La Moda yet????

Millhouse Aug 9th 2010 8:49 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8762913)

I seem to remember humidity being a relative measure.

100% humidity when it's 0 oC is pretty much no 'humidity' as the air cannot hold the water. 50% humidity when it's 20oC is fine, 50% humidity when it's 50oC means that there is physically a lot more water in the air and would be tough.

technically the dew point is of more interest but no one understands that.

Patsy Stoned Aug 9th 2010 11:51 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8763022)
technically the dew point is of more interest but no one understands that.

Ah! The days of working out the dew point using a slide rule when I was in Air Traffic Control in the Air Force :)

Millhouse Aug 9th 2010 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8763348)
Ah! The days of working out the dew point using a slide rule when I was in Air Traffic Control in the Air Force :)

As I've said before Patsy, you get more interesting by the post!

So, ex. pub landlady now RAF, what next? singer on a cruise ship?

Bahtatboy Aug 9th 2010 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8763677)

Madam at any point?

Grace O Malley Aug 9th 2010 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8763689)
Madam at any point?

Me thinks you're playing with fire BB

Ronnie Biggs Aug 9th 2010 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8763689)
Madam at any point?

Well she did give us this insight back in March:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I was a Landlady for almost 20 years in the UK and believe me I have seen some rough "public bars" I have given hand relief in some of the roughest pubs in Slough.

Ethos83 Aug 9th 2010 4:03 pm

She is currently a personal trainer in DXB yet she manages to have a large villa of her own, a full time housekeeper, brunches weekly and shops frequently.

Methinks there's a generous ex husband somewhere in the mix.

Grace O Malley Aug 9th 2010 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8763975)
She is currently a personal trainer in DXB yet she manages to have a large villa of her own, a full time housekeeper, brunches weekly and shops frequently.

Me thinks you think too much...

There are lots of women out here who have/do all of the above and there is not a present or an ex in the mix sweetie

Patsy Stoned Aug 9th 2010 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8763975)

I do have an ex husband darling but I walked away from my marriage a long time ago....... with nothing.
I have worked hard all my life and have never had anything handed to me.

Frankly, I find it very insulting that you think women (and you direct this at me personally) cannot make a success of their lives without the aid of a man :frown:

Yes I live in a nice villa, yes I have a full time housekeeper etc but I work bloody hard for all of this AND I don't have a company that pays flights/rent/health insurance etc..I have to pay all of this myself. That is why I am still here in the summer..If I don't work I don't earn!!
So f*&k off back to your cave you f*#ing dinosaur

Bakerboy Aug 9th 2010 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8764004)
Me thinks you think too much...

There are lots of women out here who have/do all of the above and there is not a present or an ex in the mix sweetie

Lying is done with words and also with silence.
;)

Patsy Stoned Aug 9th 2010 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8763677)

Lol Darling never!! I don't do the singing thing!!

Grace O Malley Aug 9th 2010 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bakerboy (Post 8764035)
;)

Lying is for cowards or people with no balls darling

Patsy Stoned Aug 9th 2010 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bakerboy (Post 8764035)
;)

Who is lying BB?

Millhouse Aug 9th 2010 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8764028)
I do have an ex husband darling but I walked away from my marriage a long time ago....... with nothing.
I have worked hard all my life and have never had anything handed to me.

Frankly, I find it very insulting that you think women (and you direct this at me personally) cannot make a success of their lives without the aid of a man :frown:

Yes I live in a nice villa, yes I have a full time housekeeper etc but I work bloody hard for all of this AND I don't have a company that pays flights/rent/health insurance etc..I have to pay all of this myself. That is why I am still here in the summer..If I don't work I don't earn!!
So f*&k off back to your cave you f*#ing dinosaur

That's it Patsy. Kick the green eyed monster in the nuts. :thumbsup:

Patsy Stoned Aug 9th 2010 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8764059)
That's it Patsy. Kick the green eyed monster in the nuts. :thumbsup:

Seriously EM, I get totally pissed off with people who think that just because you are a woman you must have some guy supplying you with money.
AND usually these people wouldn't have the balls to take the risk and set up on their own. I have been self employed for almost 20 years, good times and bad times but atleast I can call my own tunes :-)

Millhouse Aug 9th 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8764068)
Seriously EM, I get totally pissed off with people who think that just because you are a woman you must have some guy supplying you with money.
AND usually these people wouldn't have the balls to take the risk and set up on their own. I have been self employed for almost 20 years, good times and bad times but atleast I can call my own tunes :-)

I'm with you. It takes balls to go it alone. I keep considering going alone and backing away, it's not an easy move, especially here where it's very expensive.

Patsy Stoned Aug 9th 2010 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8764076)
I'm with you. It takes balls to go it alone. I keep considering going alone and backing away, it's not an easy move, especially here where it's very expensive.

Lol tell me about it darling!!! But I would rather that than be at somebodies beck and call.......... anyway I am too set in my ways and would be totally unemployable lol