British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   A summer holiday.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/summer-holiday-514741/)

macteepee Feb 16th 2008 3:19 am

A summer holiday....

We're thinking of going on a summer holiday (or at either end if the flights are better) maybe end may/start june or june, or other times if suggested...

Initially thought Italy for 3wks, but hubby has baulked at the idea of using such a chunk of our savings (from my research so far I've been led to believe food + accom alone would be around 3200euro for the two of us).

We've only been in Bahrain for just on 5wks, so have yet to explore the region, although hoping to have a wkend visit to Dubai in the next month.

Any suggestions on where we could go no more than a 10hr flight, with food, accommodation + flights being around 1650BD/5000AUD/16,000AED/4600US?
Doesn't have to be 3wks, maybe 2-2.5.....

TIA :D

MissDemeanor Feb 16th 2008 5:36 am

Re: A summer holiday....

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5939747)
We're thinking of going on a summer holiday (or at either end if the flights are better) maybe end may/start june or june, or other times if suggested...

Initially thought Italy for 3wks, but hubby has baulked at the idea of using such a chunk of our savings (from my research so far I've been led to believe food + accom alone would be around 3200euro for the two of us).

We've only been in Bahrain for just on 5wks, so have yet to explore the region, although hoping to have a wkend visit to Dubai in the next month.

Any suggestions on where we could go no more than a 10hr flight, with food, accommodation + flights being around 1650BD/5000AUD/16,000AED/4600US?

Have you thought about Bulgaria? It is a really beautiful place with stunning views.Alot like the italian countryside in that respect.It is also still fairly cheap and you would have no problem finding accomodation etc on your budget.

macteepee Feb 16th 2008 6:12 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 5940007)
Have you thought about Bulgaria? It is a really beautiful place with stunning views.Alot like the italian countryside in that respect.It is also still fairly cheap and you would have no problem finding accomodation etc on your budget.

Haven't thought about Bulgaria....was originally thinking Turkey/Greece because of proximity to us, but hubby says there's other places he'd rather see first. I'll put it to him though :)

Old Lob Feb 16th 2008 9:56 am

Two days in Muscat, two days in Salalah. Ditto Mumbai, Delhi, Jaipur.

Butlins at Bognor is supposed to be good too.

Jordan. Short trip to Odessa in Ukraine - lovely city - need to book early - really it is nice.

Madam Medusa Feb 16th 2008 11:45 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5939747)

how about cyprus...? or anywhere in europe is only 6/7 hours away...

MM, xx

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5941005)
how about cyprus...? or anywhere in europe is only 6/7 hours away...

MM, xx

Have considered a lot of Europe, but doesn't seem to be worth it on a budget :(

Thanks for all the suggestions :) not sure about seeing other parts of the desert in the middle of summer, as we will be wanting to escape a little :)

lionheart Feb 17th 2008 3:51 am

Why not go for an East African safari...once things quieten down in Kikuyu Land...my wife and daughter are there now.

Blue Cat Feb 17th 2008 3:52 am

Thailand :) cheap, cheerful and good weather ! ;)

lionheart Feb 17th 2008 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5943652)

If you enjoy summer monsoons...much better between Oct-Feb.

Blue Cat Feb 17th 2008 4:22 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5943656)
If you enjoy summer monsoons...much better between Oct-Feb.

but they are short and sweet and a welcome after the summer heats here ;)

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 4:58 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5943650)
Why not go for an East African safari...once things quieten down in Kikuyu Land...my wife and daughter are there now.

Will it not be hot there? Considering also April/May time.....

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 5:00 am

Yes, thought about this :) hubby thinks this is better/cheaper to do from Aus- there's lots of really cheap packages around, although will investigate further but I think probably a bit further down on our list of places to go now we're in the northern hemisphere :)

shiva Feb 17th 2008 5:02 am

seconded, either thailand, laos, cambodia, bali etc. pretty much anywhere in se asia will fit the bill

Inselaffen Feb 17th 2008 5:13 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5943754)
Yes, thought about this :) hubby thinks this is better/cheaper to do from Aus- there's lots of really cheap packages around, although will investigate further but I think probably a bit further down on our list of places to go now we're in the northern hemisphere :)

try the Maldives. there are budget flights from Dubai

lionheart Feb 17th 2008 5:46 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5943750)
Will it not be hot there? Considering also April/May time.....

Rarely more than 80degF any time of year. Just avoid the rains in Mar and Oct...very cheap flights right now with Kenya Airways including only AED1,500 to Joburg.

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5943770)
try the Maldives. there are budget flights from Dubai

Thought of this - although from what i've heard it's expensive there, no?? And we're in Bahrain :)

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 6:11 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 5943757)
seconded, either thailand, laos, cambodia, bali etc. pretty much anywhere in se asia will fit the bill

Yes, these areas are big on our list, although it's just as close from Aus..... So was hoping to go places that are normally more than 12hrs from Melbourne as we're fairly central at the moment..

Madam Medusa Feb 17th 2008 6:17 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5943604)
Have considered a lot of Europe, but doesn't seem to be worth it on a budget :(

Thanks for all the suggestions :) not sure about seeing other parts of the desert in the middle of summer, as we will be wanting to escape a little :)

you can do europe on a budget...spain and italy are really cheap...

weather in se asia generally isn't great at that time, it's very humid and monsoon season, it would be better to go there oct-feb if you have a choice...

MM, xx

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 6:23 am

Currently investigating south of france - accomm in Montcuq (Cahors?) 1hr south of Toulouse V.good price. But not sure of location/things to do, although just being there would be pretty cool, seings it's my first trip to Europe.

Does anyone know about specific rail travel in France/other transportation? Obviously it would be very expensive to hire a car (unless we could smuggle some petrol across with us :p ). I've had a look on the usual sites - france tourism, seat61 etc, for train travel help, but all I could really find is that it would be about 30euro for two of us to go between Cahors and Toulouse - if we were to be doing that every couple days it would be expensive!!

Is there not some sort of local train system? - i.e you could get a WEEKLY pass in Melbourne to country Victoria - similar sort of distance for about $60AUD/20BD/200AED per adult....

shakh your bootie Feb 17th 2008 6:28 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5943862)
Currently investigating south of france - accomm in Montcuq (Cahors?) 1hr south of Toulouse V.good price. But not sure of location/things to do, although just being there would be pretty cool, seings it's my first trip to Europe.

Does anyone know about specific rail travel in France/other transportation? Obviously it would be very expensive to hire a car (unless we could smuggle some petrol across with us :p ). I've had a look on the usual sites - france tourism, seat61 etc, for train travel help, but all I could really find is that it would be about 30euro for two of us to go between Cahors and Toulouse - if we were to be doing that every couple days it would be expensive!!

Is there not some sort of local train system? - i.e you could get a WEEKLY pass in Melbourne to country Victoria - similar sort of distance for about $60AUD/20BD/200AED per adult....

It is entirely possible to travel in Europe by train - no need to hire a car if budget restricts it - I'm assuming you're looking at a low cost touring holiday rather than the rent-a-gite type affair. Have a look at inter-rail: http://www.interrail.net/.

That way you could do Italy as well as France and have a bit of a tour in Europe at the same time...

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5943856)
you can do europe on a budget...spain and italy are really cheap...

weather in se asia generally isn't great at that time, it's very humid and monsoon season, it would be better to go there oct-feb if you have a choice...

MM, xx

Where in Spain/Italy are you thinking of?

I've been researching most of italy and my old boss that lives there reckons to allow 20-30euro EACH per day for food + some sight seeing, which would make the daily budget at about 160euro/day for two of us, including accommodation (private rooms in hostels/Pensione places).

If we were to go for what I was originally thinking of - around 20days(Rome/Amalfi coast/Florence + surrounds/Tuscany/Milan/ lake como/Venice), probably a little less, that would mean a budget of 3200euro for food + accom + sight seeing alone = $5000AUD/ bit over 17000AED. Then PLUS flights - just under 1500AUD - 500BD - 5000AED. And then there's spending money...... and if we wanted to splash out on a night or two's accomm - doesn't seem possible on a budget of 5-6kAUD for 2-3wks..... :( :(

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 6:39 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5943872)
It is entirely possible to travel in Europe by train - no need to hire a car if budget restricts it - I'm assuming you're looking at a low cost touring holiday rather than the rent-a-gite type affair. Have a look at inter-rail: http://www.interrail.net/.

That way you could do Italy as well as France and have a bit of a tour in Europe at the same time...

THANKS SyB :) I think i've heard of this one/seen it mentioned somewhere - just couldn't find it on the sites i've been searching grrrr!

BTW - looking at a semi-budget holiday: clean showers that we don't have to share, travel by train mostly, splashing out occasionally on must-do stuff...

We had an awesome time last year in Hawaii for 17days for about 5kAUD including flights (they were awesome sale ones!), although we did have 11days free accomm, which allowed us to splash out in other areas (helicopter tour, mustang car hire - although that was cheap) and it's proving hard to find a holiday to create that will be just as great - probably an extra 500-1k being realistic.

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 6:41 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5943872)

:( :( :( you have to be a resident in countries of Europe to use the InterRail - we're from the land down under :( is there anyway of getting around this?

Inselaffen Feb 17th 2008 6:47 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5943862)

You can holiday very cheaply in the south of France. Try checking Etap hotels. They are prefab buildings but clean and you get your own bathroom.

Don't know the Cahors area but lived a little east of there for 5 years and its a lovely part of the world. Would recommend nipping over to Barcelona for a day whilst you are there.

The French rail system is very good and reasonably priced although I never used it much as I had a car there.

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5943910)
You can holiday very cheaply in the south of France. Try checking Etap hotels. They are prefab buildings but clean and you get your own bathroom.

Don't know the Cahors area but lived a little east of there for 5 years and its a lovely part of the world. Would recommend nipping over to Barcelona for a day whilst you are there.

The French rail system is very good and reasonably priced although I never used it much as I had a car there.

Do you think a day in Barcelona would suffice? I was thinking, as it's a few hours from Montcuq according to google maps, that it would be better to stay a night?

As it seems so cheap to stay in this apartment that is owned by a former client of mine and a few of her friends (650AUD/week or about 220BD- 2200AED) that is located in Montcuq, Cahors area, I was thinking that we'd just book it for 2 1/2 wks if possible and pay extra for whatever overnight accomm we need in a couple places - Barcelona, maybe Bordeaux if it's too much to do just day trips, Marseille if it's not too far by train. Any other area suggestions?

I still can't seem to find a rail pass for less than $650AUDeach which still wouldn't cover our entire holiday as it's only a 10day pass although there's the Global pass saver - but that requires you to be doing consecutive days travel - what if we didn't want to get the train for one day? I guess we could go one stop and come back - it is a couple hundred cheaper......

Madam Medusa Feb 17th 2008 7:03 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5943939)
Do you think a day in Barcelona would suffice? I was thinking, as it's a few hours from Montcuq according to google maps, that it would be better to stay a night?

As it seems so cheap to stay in this apartment that is owned by a former client of mine and a few of her friends (650AUD/week or about 220BD- 2200AED) that is located in Montcuq, Cahors area, I was thinking that we'd just book it for 2 1/2 wks if possible and pay extra for whatever overnight accomm we need in a couple places - Barcelona, maybe Bordeaux if it's too much to do just day trips, Marseille if it's not too far by train. Any other area suggestions?

I still can't seem to find a rail pass for less than $650AUDeach which still wouldn't cover our entire holiday as it's only a 10day pass although there's the Global pass saver - but that requires you to be doing consecutive days travel - what if we didn't want to get the train for one day? I guess we could go one stop and come back - it is a couple hundred cheaper......

i would have a couple of days at least in barcelona, it is fab and there is loads to see and do...You could also go to sitges nearby for a relax on the beach for a couple of days...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Feb 17th 2008 7:04 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5943939)

of course its better to stay a night there if you can.

Personally I would avoid Marseille.

other places to visit are Carcassone (a bit touristy but very impressive), Montpellier (where I used to live), Nimes, Arles and avignon. The Pont du Gard is also nice but you would need a car to get there.

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5943959)
i would have a couple of days at least in barcelona, it is fab and there is loads to see and do...You could also go to sitges nearby for a relax on the beach for a couple of days...

MM, xx

Can you get to Sitges by train? It would probably require another overnight stay then, right? Is there good, cheap accomm around there? By cheap I mean this really nice apartment I found would work out to be about $95AUD/night (weekly rental) if you were to break it down. Obvioulsy a weekly rate is cheaper but, would want to be paying under $150AUD/night for any extras...

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5943962)
of course its better to stay a night there if you can.

Personally I would avoid Marseille.

other places to visit are Carcassone (a bit touristy but very impressive), Montpellier (where I used to live), Nimes, Arles and avignon. The Pont du Gard is also nice but you would need a car to get there.

Hmmm........all the places you mention seem to be a fair distance from Cahors. It looks like it would be better to have overnight stays in the places you mention = more expensive.....

lionheart Feb 17th 2008 7:31 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5944003)
Can you get to Sitges by train? It would probably require another overnight stay then, right? Is there good, cheap accomm around there? By cheap I mean this really nice apartment I found would work out to be about $95AUD/night (weekly rental) if you were to break it down. Obvioulsy a weekly rate is cheaper but, would want to be paying under $150AUD/night for any extras...

Why not ask all these questions on the Europe web-page rather than the Middle East?

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 7:37 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5944042)
Why not ask all these questions on the Europe web-page rather than the Middle East?

Good idea :) sorry :o........thanks!

shakh your bootie Feb 17th 2008 8:56 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5944058)
Good idea :) sorry :o........thanks!

I'm sure LH meant post your questions in the Europe forum as well as chatting about your holiday plans here.....

He's a helpful sort, really.....

If you are going to Cahors, don't miss the AOC "Black wine" of Cahors, often overlooked. It's very much duck country as well - hope you like fois gras and cassoulet.

Cahors town centre has loads of character - they have a pretty decent jazz festival there (Mid August if memory serves), which is more of a street party really...

Inselaffen Feb 17th 2008 9:00 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5944317)
I'm sure LH meant post your questions in the Europe forum as well as chatting about your holiday plans here.....

If you are going to Cahors, don't miss the AOC "Black wine" of Cahors, often overlooked. It's very much duck country as well - hope you like fois gras and cassoulet.

Cahors town centre has loads of character - they have a pretty decent jazz festival there (Mid August if memory serves), which is more of a street party really...

Delicious but so heavy!

shakh your bootie Feb 17th 2008 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5944336)
Delicious but so heavy!

Great winter food... Nice bit'a stodge to take the chill out, like.

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 10:10 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5944317)

Thanks for the advice :)

Still trying to work out the train info - even searched LonelyPlanet's ThornTree forum, but they seem to direct people to the seat61 site, which hasn't been very helpful to me as i'm obviously not travelling from the Uk or even a Uk national...

What I can conclude so far, is that it seems like we'll have to pay $AUD650+ each for train tickets with Eurail (it's also a bit complicated since I can qualify for the <26 youth fare, but he can't - old thing :) ). But I can't find what trains go where, apart from major points like Paris, Toulouse, Bordeaux etc. If we were to stay in this Montcuq place, in or near Cahors, surely there's a local train station that we can walk or push bike to within a half hour time distance, for day trips?

It all seems so complicated! It's making me feel rather stupid, considering so many people travel through europe all the time. :o

Inselaffen Feb 17th 2008 10:37 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5944559)
Thanks for the advice :)

Still trying to work out the train info - even searched LonelyPlanet's ThornTree forum, but they seem to direct people to the seat61 site, which hasn't been very helpful to me as i'm obviously not travelling from the Uk or even a Uk national...

What I can conclude so far, is that it seems like we'll have to pay $AUD650+ each for train tickets with Eurail (it's also a bit complicated since I can qualify for the <26 youth fare, but he can't - old thing :) ). But I can't find what trains go where, apart from major points like Paris, Toulouse, Bordeaux etc. If we were to stay in this Montcuq place, in or near Cahors, surely there's a local train station that we can walk or push bike to within a half hour time distance, for day trips?

It all seems so complicated! It's making me feel rather stupid, considering so many people travel through europe all the time. :o

have a look on the French Railways local service website. They quite kindly provide it in the Rosbif language

http://www.ter-sncf.com/english/index.asp?regID=12

shakh your bootie Feb 17th 2008 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5944646)
have a look on the French Railways local service website. They quite kindly provide it in the Rosbif language

LOL - mindreader, was just about to paste le meme chose...

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5944646)

Thanks for that! Would be helpful if they put that one on their bloody tourism website!! I can find out how to get from main town to main town, but not the little stuff! :D
Lovely

Inselaffen Feb 17th 2008 10:50 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5944661)
LOL - mindreader, was just about to paste le meme chose...

feeble minds think alike!

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 11:00 am

Ok, i've been trying to look at the website above, but it keeps giving me http 500 errors, and also the 'English version' doesn't look anything like the french version. I tried braving the french version and got a little further, but then it gave me another http 500 :mad: has this site been working recently?? Maybe it's our internet......

Everything else has been working ok today.... :confused: