British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   A summer holiday.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/summer-holiday-514741/)

macteepee Feb 16th 2008 3:19 am

A summer holiday....

We're thinking of going on a summer holiday (or at either end if the flights are better) maybe end may/start june or june, or other times if suggested...

Initially thought Italy for 3wks, but hubby has baulked at the idea of using such a chunk of our savings (from my research so far I've been led to believe food + accom alone would be around 3200euro for the two of us).

We've only been in Bahrain for just on 5wks, so have yet to explore the region, although hoping to have a wkend visit to Dubai in the next month.

Any suggestions on where we could go no more than a 10hr flight, with food, accommodation + flights being around 1650BD/5000AUD/16,000AED/4600US?
Doesn't have to be 3wks, maybe 2-2.5.....

TIA :D

MissDemeanor Feb 16th 2008 5:36 am

Re: A summer holiday....

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5939747)
We're thinking of going on a summer holiday (or at either end if the flights are better) maybe end may/start june or june, or other times if suggested...

Initially thought Italy for 3wks, but hubby has baulked at the idea of using such a chunk of our savings (from my research so far I've been led to believe food + accom alone would be around 3200euro for the two of us).

We've only been in Bahrain for just on 5wks, so have yet to explore the region, although hoping to have a wkend visit to Dubai in the next month.

Any suggestions on where we could go no more than a 10hr flight, with food, accommodation + flights being around 1650BD/5000AUD/16,000AED/4600US?

Have you thought about Bulgaria? It is a really beautiful place with stunning views.Alot like the italian countryside in that respect.It is also still fairly cheap and you would have no problem finding accomodation etc on your budget.

macteepee Feb 16th 2008 6:12 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 5940007)
Have you thought about Bulgaria? It is a really beautiful place with stunning views.Alot like the italian countryside in that respect.It is also still fairly cheap and you would have no problem finding accomodation etc on your budget.

Haven't thought about Bulgaria....was originally thinking Turkey/Greece because of proximity to us, but hubby says there's other places he'd rather see first. I'll put it to him though :)

Old Lob Feb 16th 2008 9:56 am

Two days in Muscat, two days in Salalah. Ditto Mumbai, Delhi, Jaipur.

Butlins at Bognor is supposed to be good too.

Jordan. Short trip to Odessa in Ukraine - lovely city - need to book early - really it is nice.

Madam Medusa Feb 16th 2008 11:45 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5939747)

how about cyprus...? or anywhere in europe is only 6/7 hours away...

MM, xx

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5941005)
how about cyprus...? or anywhere in europe is only 6/7 hours away...

MM, xx

Have considered a lot of Europe, but doesn't seem to be worth it on a budget :(

Thanks for all the suggestions :) not sure about seeing other parts of the desert in the middle of summer, as we will be wanting to escape a little :)

lionheart Feb 17th 2008 3:51 am

Why not go for an East African safari...once things quieten down in Kikuyu Land...my wife and daughter are there now.

Blue Cat Feb 17th 2008 3:52 am

Thailand :) cheap, cheerful and good weather ! ;)

lionheart Feb 17th 2008 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5943652)

If you enjoy summer monsoons...much better between Oct-Feb.

Blue Cat Feb 17th 2008 4:22 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5943656)
If you enjoy summer monsoons...much better between Oct-Feb.

but they are short and sweet and a welcome after the summer heats here ;)

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 4:58 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5943650)
Why not go for an East African safari...once things quieten down in Kikuyu Land...my wife and daughter are there now.

Will it not be hot there? Considering also April/May time.....

macteepee Feb 17th 2008 5:00 am

Yes, thought about this :) hubby thinks this is better/cheaper to do from Aus- there's lots of really cheap packages around, although will investigate further but I think probably a bit further down on our list of places to go now we're in the northern hemisphere :)

shiva Feb 17th 2008 5:02 am

seconded, either thailand, laos, cambodia, bali etc. pretty much anywhere in se asia will fit the bill

Inselaffen Feb 17th 2008 5:13 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5943754)
Yes, thought about this :) hubby thinks this is better/cheaper to do from Aus- there's lots of really cheap packages around, although will investigate further but I think probably a bit further down on our list of places to go now we're in the northern hemisphere :)

try the Maldives. there are budget flights from Dubai

lionheart Feb 17th 2008 5:46 am

Originally Posted by macteepee (Post 5943750)
Will it not be hot there? Considering also April/May time.....

Rarely more than 80degF any time of year. Just avoid the rains in Mar and Oct...very cheap flights right now with Kenya Airways including only AED1,500 to Joburg.