Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Studying in the UAE part time

Studying in the UAE part time

Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Studying in the UAE part time

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Ach, if you want to do it, do it - I'm sure that if we totted up how much our alcohol consumption comes to over the course of a year, we'd conclude that the cost vs value ratio wasn't too great, but it's fun and life's too short not to!
BUT - £6 a pint for London Pride at the marina byblos whilst playing darts all night is good fun.

25hrs a week in a room with books and a laptop and studying is not fun.

However, suppose the end value should make it worthwhile
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:32 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
My issue is the cost vs value element, expect the cost today will be worth it eventually, just need to work out how to justify it in my head to start with
Cost:
* a couple of grand (maybe a bit more), which you can spread out.
* 20 hours a week (but not every week). But those hours are only a true cost if they take time away from something purposeful or necessary you'd otherwise be doing. Watching TV and scratching your arse doesn't count. Equally (in fact moreso), excess hours not spent drinking Guinness and playing darts till midnight don't count either, and you'll be benefitting from swotting not swigging--so those hours go on the benefit side.

Benefits:
* Reduced excess swigging, as above. In terms of time, cost and health.
* Learning for its own sake.
* Learning something which, whatever you do, will enhance your future career. Usually difficult to quantify that, but you're best placed to advise yourself about how much more an MBA can command than a non-MBA, for example.
* Knowing that you haven't pissed away several years out here.

Simples
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:11 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
BUT - £6 a pint for London Pride at the marina byblos whilst playing darts all night is good fun.

25hrs a week in a room with books and a laptop and studying is not fun.

However, suppose the end value should make it worthwhile
did you even read my previous post? You can do it all from home nowadays.. in fact, I'm planning to do it all from the poolside, with an iPad... as soon as I get an iPad...
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Cost:
* a couple of grand (maybe a bit more), which you can spread out.
* 20 hours a week (but not every week). But those hours are only a true cost if they take time away from something purposeful or necessary you'd otherwise be doing. Watching TV and scratching your arse doesn't count. Equally (in fact moreso), excess hours not spent drinking Guinness and playing darts till midnight don't count either, and you'll be benefitting from swotting not swigging--so those hours go on the benefit side.

Benefits:
* Reduced excess swigging, as above. In terms of time, cost and health.
* Learning for its own sake.
* Learning something which, whatever you do, will enhance your future career. Usually difficult to quantify that, but you're best placed to advise yourself about how much more an MBA can command than a non-MBA, for example.
* Knowing that you haven't pissed away several years out here.

Simples
Sold.

Thanks pal.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
did you even read my previous post? You can do it all from home nowadays.. in fact, I'm planning to do it all from the poolside, with an iPad... as soon as I get an iPad...

Cheek of it, of course I did.

I was digesting what you said and thinking out loud further.

Thanks for your help though.