Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Stories that let you know your in the 3rd world

Stories that let you know your in the 3rd world

Old Feb 8th 2009, 6:40 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stories that let you know your in the 3rd world

http://gulfnews.com/nation/Police_an.../10283268.html

"A gang of five people has been arrested for using their children in seeking alms and practising illegal acts of black magic,"
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:26 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stories that let you know your in the 3rd world

Originally Posted by shiva
http://gulfnews.com/nation/Police_an.../10283268.html

"A gang of five people has been arrested for using their children in seeking alms and practising illegal acts of black magic,"
illegal acts? as opposed to the legal ones?

(sorry, nitpicking, i know...)
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:21 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Knowing you can be prosecuted for "blasphemy" and living with someone you're not married or related to is another sure indicator you're not living in a place that has the best humanity has to offer in terms of social freedom and progress

N.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:43 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Knowing you can be prosecuted for "blasphemy" and living with someone you're not married or related to is another sure indicator you're not living in a place that has the best humanity has to offer in terms of social freedom and progress

N.

thast a given, its the stories of jinn, witchcraft etc that always make my day.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:00 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Stories that let you know your in the 3rd world

Lucky it wasn't just Derren Brown up to one of his usual tricks .

Superstitious nonsence TBH although I'd like them to arrest David Copperfield and get that flying trick out of him.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

N.
that includes the UK then
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:20 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
that includes the UK then
Not anymore...struck that off the books a year or two ago now.

Last prosecution was in the pre-war period anyways...

N.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

N.
Ah yes see it was last year. took their bally time
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Ah yes see it was last year. took their bally time
Replaced it with the "Terrorist act" instead meaning that you are not allowed to speak, think or act in any way that might upset status quo...
Old Feb 8th 2009, 6:37 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

N.
I think that I can prosecute for blasphemy as a graduate of Glasgow University - seems to be some sort of privilege granted (maybe to people most likely to practice it). I believe also that I can burn witches at the stake.

Perhaps I should put it into practice.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 6:53 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
I think that I can prosecute for blasphemy as a graduate of Glasgow University - seems to be some sort of privilege granted (maybe to people most likely to practice it). I believe also that I can burn witches at the stake.

Perhaps I should put it into practice.
I too am a Grad of Univ. Glw
Where...which faculty gave you these extraordinary powers??
You ain't from the Law and Theology Square are ya.......
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:37 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Science faculty. Aparantly as a graduate (and thus member of the General Council), you have these powers.

I was arrested by the Bedallus (head janitor) once for not wearing my sword when traversing the cloisters and fined one guinea. It was a trumped up charge though in response to me, as was my right, demanding ale during my finals. The fact that I demanded it from Prof Sir Robert Rankin - Dean of the Faculty of Science was the start of it.

Of course never in later life have I even been momentarily a pain in the arse again!