Stock Markets

Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Stock Markets

Anyone selling off? Shorting?

Any thoughts on this shake down or is it the start of something more serious? Is it 1998 again?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:37 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stock Markets

What happened in 1998? I wish it was 1998 again.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

Still in the green but half the profit gone from the share portfolio. A timely reminder to get them over into actual tracker funds.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 7:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
What happened in 1998? I wish it was 1998 again.
Bloomberg Link

^ It's sort of looking at it from one perspective but interesting all the same.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 7:35 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Bloomberg Link

^ It's sort of looking at it from one perspective but interesting all the same.
Ah, OK. Barely remember it...just the dotcom bubble being in the news. I thought you'd got it 10 years out and were talking about 2008. I'll go back to sleep...
Old Feb 7th 2018, 7:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Arnold S
Still in the green but half the profit gone from the share portfolio. A timely reminder to get them over into actual tracker funds.
Certainly expect it to be safer.

I saw a drop in profits but luckily a huge way into the green on all of them as have been holding for 10 years. Should start slicing really and reinvesting the way you say.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

The Dow tanked really on Friday as it reached almost its 52 week high. Actually most of the markets hit their 52 weeks highs. There was a lot of profit taking usually at those levels. Personally I think there will be another attempt at a 52 week and may go above it taking all those stop losses and another pull back.

For the quarter I think it will still be down.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 7:03 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sat tight on individual shares (which don't make up a huge proportion of my portfolio), and fund selling is too slow so sat tight on those. Down about 6% on shares / funds / bonds at the worst point, but it seems they'll recover.

Amazed at quite a few of the headlines: "All the year's profits wiped out" -- it's only ****ing February (and early February at that)...
Old Feb 8th 2018, 7:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Sat tight on individual shares (which don't make up a huge proportion of my portfolio), and fund selling is too slow so sat tight on those. Down about 6% on shares / funds / bonds at the worst point, but it seems they'll recover.

Amazed at quite a few of the headlines: "All the year's profits wiped out" -- it's only ****ing February (and early February at that)...

I thought about flogging the individual shares but the money is just going to sit doing nothing. Need to start slicing profit though.

Funds need investigating further for sure.

Very pleased I didn't go with Bitcoin a few weeks back. Worth waiting and watching still.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

I thought about flogging the individual shares but the money is just going to sit doing nothing. Need to start slicing profit though.

Funds need investigating further for sure.

Very pleased I didn't go with Bitcoin a few weeks back. Worth waiting and watching still.

Funds rarely beat the indices over 3 year period net of costs if you fund manager uses any benchmark use an index tracker - much cheaper and better (long) performance or create your own fund (very cheap) to do. I think I wrote a "permanent portfolio" type fund somewhere here.

There are loads of alternatives to bitcoin - unless you have deep pockets - which allow you to enter that market.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 8:50 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Funds rarely beat the indices over 3 year period net of costs if you fund manager uses any benchmark use an index tracker - much cheaper and better (long) performance or create your own fund (very cheap) to do. I think I wrote a "permanent portfolio" type fund somewhere here.

There are loads of alternatives to bitcoin - unless you have deep pockets - which allow you to enter that market.
I like pizza.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:21 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Do you have the list of the portfolio, I'd like to plug it into a dummy (practice) account just to see how it performs versus my own account.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 10:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Do you have the list of the portfolio, I'd like to plug it into a dummy (practice) account just to see how it performs versus my own account.
Me too.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Create a long term portfolio consisting of:

% Vanguard mixture of indices and bonds (US or UK/EM) plus
% of a commodity (e.g Gold) and
% a small amount of cash (gilt or CD) and maybe a rebalance quarterly your pre-defined % (may people use 33% for each category).

This will outperform majority of indices and probably 98% of fund managers over a 3-5+ yr horizon

In order to back test it id recommend Amibroker.

You can always top it up with a small short-term trading account.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone selling off? Shorting?

Any thoughts on this shake down or is it the start of something more serious? Is it 1998 again?
I'd be holding. stocks set new lows, then new highs.

Warren Buffet has a relevant quote on it;

"To refer to a personal taste of mine, I’m going to buy hamburgers the rest of my life. When hamburgers go down in price, we sing the ‘Hallelujah Chorus’ in the Buffett household. When hamburgers go up in price, we weep. For most people, it’s the same with everything in life they will be buying — except stocks. When stocks go down and you can get more for your money, people don’t like them anymore."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.