British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sri Lanka (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sri-lanka-753434/)

Max the Dog Apr 1st 2012 7:36 am

Sri Lanka

Morning all.
Thinking of taking the troops to Sri Lankashire for a week.
Thought of Kandy for a couple of days and then a nice, clean beach resort.
Anyone got any recommendations?

Meow Apr 1st 2012 8:27 am

Re: Sri Lanka

Depends on budget, the standard of accomodation you require and how far you are willing to travel, bearing in mind that it tends to take ages to get anywhere due to lousy roads.

You'll find resorts in areas like Bentota, or Hikkaduwa or Negombo, but I prefer Galle, although the accommodation there is largely very basic or fairly high end.

Sri Lankan curry & rice - mmmmmm :p

commander Apr 1st 2012 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9982911)

Violet, our home help/slave/maid (delete as you see fit) is from Sri Lanka and I have to say she makes the best curry ever, and spicy tuna balls.

They obviously have April fools day in Sri Lanka also as this morning she came into our room at 0600, woke me and told me that my car was missing from the driveway. Que me sprinting downstairs through the garage and voila, the car is sat there..

I turned around and she was laughing her head off...hahaha April Fool...

Pretty funny I thought, after I broke her nose and resigned her to the 'under the stairs' cupboard for a week.

Millhouse Apr 1st 2012 10:13 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9983021)
Violet, our home help/slave/maid (delete as you see fit) is from Sri Lanka and I have to say she makes the best curry ever, and spicy tuna balls.

They obviously have April fools day in Sri Lanka also as this morning she came into our room at 0600, woke me and told me that my car was missing from the driveway. Que me sprinting downstairs through the garage and voila, the car is sat there..

I turned around and she was laughing her head off...hahaha April Fool...

Pretty funny I thought, after I broke her nose and resigned her to the 'under the stairs' cupboard for a week.

One assumes that you won't be paying her for the week she is in the cupboard.

commander Apr 1st 2012 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9983035)
One assumes that you won't be paying her for the week she is in the cupboard.

she will be paying me for the bread and water

Max the Dog Apr 2nd 2012 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9982911)
Depends on budget, the standard of accomodation you require and how far you are willing to travel, bearing in mind that it tends to take ages to get anywhere due to lousy roads.

You'll find resorts in areas like Bentota, or Hikkaduwa or Negombo, but I prefer Galle, although the accommodation there is largely very basic or fairly high end.

Thanks!
looking at Arugam Bay.....http://www.google.ae/imgres?imgurl=h...9QEwAg&dur=353

fezzer Apr 2nd 2012 10:30 am

We stayed in the Chaaya Blu hotel in Trincomalee (in the north east of the island). Couldn't say a bad thing about the place. :thumbup:

Meow Apr 2nd 2012 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 9984464)

Fab photos. :)

I think we'll go back before the end of the year.

soukie Apr 2nd 2012 1:21 pm

We are looking for a 10 day break at the beginning of July and I like the look of Sri Lanka but feel it's the wrong time to go for weather. Any posters been in July?

Meow Apr 3rd 2012 6:12 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 9984967)
We are looking for a 10 day break at the beginning of July and I like the look of Sri Lanka but feel it's the wrong time to go for weather. Any posters been in July?

They have two rainy seasons but the times vary depending on where you are in the country.