Sony or HP laptop ?

Old Dec 18th 2011, 12:46 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sony or HP laptop ?

Just make sure you leave the OS there, though.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
As I am dim beyond belief when it comes to computers; just what programs should I remove from the laptop
Once you have got rid of unwanted programs, download the free utilities "CrapCleaner" and "Advanced SystemCare". Both these programs will delete redundant, useless and invalid registry entries .

I have had piss poor luck with Dell laptops. Owned 4 and all have given hardware issues. The Toshiba I had was decent. Never had issues with HP either. I prefer laptops with a pointing stick, cause the touchpad is just too bloody imprecise and being imprecise makes it slow to get things done.

Thankfully I got a custombuilt desktop with components I choose that is my main comp. so the Dell laptop I am on now is just something I use when travelling.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Once you have got rid of unwanted programs, download the free utilities "CrapCleaner" and "Advanced SystemCare". Both these programs will delete redundant, useless and invalid registry entries .
Good call. To that list, I'd just add 'decrappifier' as another possible alternative.

But to revert back to the original post..not sure what is 'standard' these days, but win 7 needs about 2 gig RAM. A total of 4gb of RAM should be fine for most users, in fact, a bit of an overkill. Anyway, if it is to be used for gaming at all, it should really have a dedicated graphics card, and not an integrated one.

Have you considered other brands or are you limited to these two? I find Sony bit overpriced (you pay for the brand), not too familiar with HP laptops. For that sort of a budget, I'd look at an Asus. Bought my ladyfriend a laptop this summer for just about that budget..Not in the ME mind you, but up here in arctic land albeit tax free.

www.asus.com

specs:
ASUS N73 series, it's also quite stylish looking and has a built in B&O sound system..I think its their current high end laptop..but serious overkill for your needs. They do have some other alternatives on their wbsite.

17.3" 16:9 HD
Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM -processor
Windows® 7 Home Basic
HD 750GB 7200rpm
Blu-Ray DVD Combo/Super-Multi DVD/Blue-ray Writer
16 gb RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 1GB DDR3 VRAM

It's a beast if that spec means nothing to you.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate, deal was done and got the Sony but will look at decrappifying lol.
This thing boots up faster than any laptop I have owned or used. Amazing. Will time it when back in Bahrain as it's a useful performance indicator for non techies
Old Dec 21st 2011, 1:37 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

I've had Sony Vaios at home for last 10-12 years and various sorts for work, HP, IBM/Lenovo, Toshiba etc but love the Vaios.

I wouldn't delete all the 'crap' some of it is quite cool. Incredibly reliable, we have one running at home almost 24/7 which I bought in 2006.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 3:52 pm