Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Song reflecting your mood at the moment

Song reflecting your mood at the moment

Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Song reflecting your mood at the moment

With thanks to Blue Cat for sending it to me.

-
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DesertOcean
No, sorry D.O. - can't take the vocal affectation and false emotions of the man............. adding a 'faux pathos' (good mixed metaphor, eh?) that just wasn't in the original.

Not up to your usual enlightened standard.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this........... astonishing live performance of Marvin Gaye's protest epic, "What's Going On". The live audience shots are even more remarkable, and the whole thing is entirely of its time.............

Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

Joe Cocker from what I can tell by watching old videos including his performance at Woodstock '69, has pretty much sung that song in the same style. False emotions, perhaps, but evidently it works for him by the response from the listening crowd.

The original Beatles version is great, it just doesn't move me the same.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Dean
Just found this........... astonishing live performance of Marvin Gaye's protest epic, "What's Going On". The live audience shots are even more remarkable, and the whole thing is entirely of its time.............

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s
Old Mar 31st 2010, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DesertOcean
Joe Cocker from what I can tell by watching old videos including his performance at Woodstock '69, has pretty much sung that song in the same style. False emotions, perhaps, but evidently it works for him by the response from the listening crowd.

The original Beatles version is great, it just doesn't move me the same.
That's my point - the original wasn't meant to be emotional - it was a jokey singalong ditty. It was also alleged that "my friends" was a reference to drugs, but that's not the point either.

Remember - any Beatles track on which Ringo is the vocalist must not be taken seriously (Yellow Submarine, etc).
Old Mar 31st 2010, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The original version, by a ludicrously underrated singer-songwriter who moved effortlessly between country and folk. The story of the inspiration behind the song is a good one - Wikipedia:

The song was inspired by an encounter with a street performer in the New Orleans First Precinct jail and refers to neither the famous stage and movie dancer Bill "Bojangles" Robinson nor the New Orleans blues musician Babe Stovall.

According to Walker, a murder on the 4th of July weekend in 1965 precipitated the arrest of all the street people in the area. In the crowded cell, a disheveled homeless old man began to talk to Walker, who had been arrested earlier for drunkenness. The man told various stories of his life, but the tone darkened after 'Mr Bojangles' recalled his dog who'd been run over. Someone then asked for something to lighten the mood, and the man obliged with a tap dance.

Old Mar 31st 2010, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sometimes, pretty often in fact, only one band will do............

The greatest band in rock history, thumbs up, hands down.........

It's only rock n' roll, but I like it.............

Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:56 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes, pretty often in fact, only one band will do............

The greatest band in rock history, thumbs up, hands down.........

It's only rock n' roll, but I like it.............

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JMkFjYRWM4M
Love them and that song, but for me, not the best band in Rock n Roll history but fairly up there.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dollface
Love them and that song, but for me, not the best band in Rock n Roll history but fairly up there.
Go on then........... name the best.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Long before the Blues Brothers came along............

Sam and Dave live in Finland - just look at that audience go wild...........

Old Mar 31st 2010, 8:01 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Go on then........... name the best.
Well that's tough :

The Who
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Few others make the grade including the Stones.........
Old Mar 31st 2010, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dollface
Well that's tough :

The Who
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Few others make the grade including the Stones.........
Can't argue................ this is the studio version - if I can find a good live one, I'll post that too..............

Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

King Crimson - Epitaph

The wall on which the prophets wrote
Is cracking at the seams.
Upon the instruments of death
The sunlight brightly gleams.
When every man is torn apart
With nightmares and with dreams,
Will no one lay the laurel wreath
When silence drowns the screams.

Confusion will be my epitaph.
As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back
and laugh.
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying,
Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.

Between the iron gates of fate,
The seeds of time were sown,
And watered by the deeds of those
Who know and who are known;
Knowledge is a deadly friend
When no one sets the rules.
The fate of all mankind I see
Is in the hands of fools.

Confusion will be my epitaph.
As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back
and laugh.
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying,
Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.