Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Something that utterly drives me mad....

Something that utterly drives me mad....

Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something that utterly drives me mad....

Originally Posted by banter64
However, if you are crossing in a non designated area and you are hit by a car, you are not covered by the insurance of of the car as it is classed as jay walking and the pedestrian is fined ! the law changed around 12 months ago
Rule 147
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:03 pm
Banned

Puerto Plata is an unknown quantity at this point

How about when you go to squirt mustard on something and that mustard water comes out first? Or when youre eating a salad and all the croutons go to the bottom of it? Makes me want to throw the whole thing against the wall.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:15 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
When I was a kid living in AB,I never took for granted that cars would stop at the Zebra crossings, because they never did. It just isn't part of the culture in the Gulf, be it locals, other Arabs or Asians.

About the Indians/Sri Lankans being pissed, do you think if they were Whites or locals then cars would stop/more prone to stop?
no I don't, but I think if the people were western they would actually cross rather than just dutifully wait.

It's nothting to do with colour.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:17 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Good question. I don't usually stop for a number of reasons:

If I'm turning right at an intersection and there's nobody behind me I'm tempted to stop as long as they look ready to cross and traffic coming from my left is not too bad.

If traffic is bad and cars turning right are backed up, I will deliberately leave a big gap for them to cross.

If it's a main road with a crossing right in the middle (how nuts is that!!!) I don't ever stop because I know the SOB behind me will crash right into me.

If it's a smaller road and driving slow, I will always let people cross , anywhere anytime. But walking along the road, they will always get beeped. Same for the diagonal meandering and the bovine strollers.

I beep a lot anyway.
to be honest teh crossings are usually 15 feet AFTER the roundabout, which is incredibly stupid as it does make it difficult to stop otherwise you create a jam on the roundabout - and we all know how horn-happy people are out here.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:18 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Jeeper
The original question was 'what is the law'.

The law is vehicles must give way to pedestrians at pedestrian crossings:

See number 43: http://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/eng...&mainlayid=196

The question wasn't: do you recommend I walk out in front of cars when i'm on a ped xing? or do drivers in the middle east actually give way to peds?

We all know laws here are upheld in a pretty haphazard manner anyway but I still wouldn't fancy your chances if you knocked over a person on a pedestrian crossing.

The question wasn't "what do you believe or understand to be the case' either...
aye so if I cross, some idiot slams his brakes on and someone hits him, then am I in trouble?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:20 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by banter64
However, if you are crossing in a non designated area and you are hit by a car, you are not covered by the insurance of of the car as it is classed as jay walking and the pedestrian is fined ! the law changed around 12 months ago
thats fine, I always cross at a crossing - and if a car is coming fast I walk out, he slows right down, either stops or goes mad at me - to then I point at the crossing and say 'you are meant to stop'.

May sound petty but it's my most irritating thing out here, as well as walking along then the path stops and you can only walk on the road.

This is why I don't have a bike out here.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
to be honest teh crossings are usually 15 feet AFTER the roundabout, which is incredibly stupid as it does make it difficult to stop otherwise you create a jam on the roundabout - and we all know how horn-happy people are out here.
After the roundabout?

Depends which way you're driving doesn't it? I'm not sure you thought that though completely...

for the person crossing....they cross the road with cars approaching the roundabout, then - when they get to the middle, the cross in front of cars leaving the roundabout (or vice versa). teleporting to the other side of the roundabouts when halfway across so you can cross in front of cars each on the approach to the roundabout isn't possible yet.

Last edited by Jeeper; Apr 2nd 2010 at 4:47 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

aye so if I cross, some idiot slams his brakes on and someone hits him, then am I in trouble?

If you stop your car to let a pedestrian cross....and the car behind you runs up your ar.se it's the car behind you who is at fault.

Again.....hapazard application of law means that if the guy who runs up you backside has a bit of wasta or whatever the f.uck they go on about then you might be in the sh.ite.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

thats fine, I always cross at a crossing - and if a car is coming fast I walk out, he slows right down, either stops or goes mad at me - to then I point at the crossing and say 'you are meant to stop'.

May sound petty but it's my most irritating thing out here, as well as walking along then the path stops and you can only walk on the road.

That is something I would do!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:19 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Puerto Plata
How about when you go to squirt mustard on something and that mustard water comes out first? Or when youre eating a salad and all the croutons go to the bottom of it? Makes me want to throw the whole thing against the wall.
Dude that is some random sh*t!

Anyway, back on topic. When I was growing up in Norway I remember my dad kicked a car in the door when it failed to stop at the crossing. The guy pulled over for a quick shout, but my dad told him to f.cuk right off or call the police. The guy obviously realised he would be fined badly if he called the police so left..I was very proud! I doubt that kind of thing would go down well this part of the world though (especially if the car is driven by a local)...
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

The way they drive here and the way they're educated, they probably think, that zebra crossings are just some fancy road design from an expensive italian designer.......
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:37 pm
Banned

Puerto Plata is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by norsk
Dude that is some random sh*t!

Anyway...

I thought the thread was about things that drive you insane? How about when you start yelling at your kids about something and they start saying "I know, I know, I know dad" even before they know what you're yelling at them about? Thats when I usually say "just shut the F up and listen to me".

It drives me insane.