British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sod the rest of you eh! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sod-rest-you-eh-606143/)

rowell Apr 29th 2009 4:38 am

Sod the rest of you eh!

Dubai to prioritise payments to favoured contractors
Published: 24 April 2009 15:25Author:Matthew Martin | More by this AuthorLast Updated: 24 April 2009 15:25
Dubai will only settle debts with contractors it wishes to work with in future, despite receiving $10bn from the Central Bank of the UAE to meet its obligations, according to sources close to the distribution of the rescue package.

TGFKASE Apr 29th 2009 4:40 am

Re: Sod the rest of you eh!

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 7524816)
Dubai to prioritise payments to favoured contractors
Published: 24 April 2009 15:25Author:Matthew Martin | More by this AuthorLast Updated: 24 April 2009 15:25
Dubai will only settle debts with contractors it wishes to work with in future, despite receiving $10bn from the Central Bank of the UAE to meet its obligations, according to sources close to the distribution of the rescue package.

Just means a faster departure schedule for most of those planning on leaving anyway......

IndieG Apr 29th 2009 6:01 am

From what I heard, developers have been told to negotiate all outstanding payments to contractors/other creditors down by 40% and only then will they be allowed access to the funds.

shiva Apr 29th 2009 7:06 am

yup, brilliant example of ethical business practise and amazing forethought there.
when things eventually pick up and they will eventually although not to previous levels, you'll find the metro extension, new bridge or whatever will be being built by flip flop limited with a work guarentee of 5 minutes post construction.......idiots

Hello.Kitty Apr 29th 2009 8:03 am

yeah, and the number of companies willing to bid for work will be astounding... or they'll factor the newly-realised risk factor into their price. I hope Dubai finds loads of money from somewhere, 'cos they're going to pay for it!

Eva Apr 29th 2009 9:24 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 7524984)
From what I heard, developers have been told to negotiate all outstanding payments to contractors/other creditors down by 40% and only then will they be allowed access to the funds.

Exactly what happened to us yesterday IndieG...- I think you'll know who with too.
TBH, I won't believe we are getting anything until we actually have it in the Bank but I am told there were definite&positive expressions of intention to pay at a big meeting yesterday so I have everything crossed.:fingerscrossed:

Inselaffen Apr 29th 2009 9:29 am

Expat doesnt pay his/her debt = prison.
Local companies don't pay their massive debts = cash gift from govt.

sums it up really!

Eva Apr 29th 2009 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7525515)
Expat doesnt pay his/her debt = prison.
Local companies don't pay their massive debts = cash gift from govt.

sums it up really!

You don't wanna get me started on that one Inse!!!.........

Inselaffen Apr 29th 2009 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7525521)
You don't wanna get me started on that one Inse!!!.........

maybe I do