British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   "so talk to me about Driving" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/so-talk-me-about-driving-756483/)

woodywoodster Apr 28th 2012 4:31 am

"so talk to me about Driving"

Apart from the weather and the tax (or lack of it) Abu Dhabi 'seems' to be known for its bonkers driving. Is it as much of a nightmare as I keep reading... do you just get used to it... do you all just take cabs everywhere.... and are there any 'rules of the road' books anyone can recommend pertaining to getting from A t o B...safely ? I love driving and we are always out and about at home. However based on what I am reading I will be looking for a small armored vehicle upon my arrival at your fair shores!!

Vanya Apr 28th 2012 4:48 am

Re: "so talk to me about Driving"

I know how you feel. I would not dare to drive in Russia - driving in France is bad enough. I just take the bus and the tram and let the mad drivers and police fight it out.

flares Apr 28th 2012 5:15 am

Terry Tibbs...talk to me

It's not too bad. Quite civilized compared to Saudi Arabia. Nowt to worry about

Tockalosh Apr 28th 2012 5:57 am

Woody, you worry far too much. Chill out, relax and enjoy the ride. Moving to AD is just one big holiday and you will have a great life :)

woodywoodster Apr 28th 2012 7:26 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10030355)
Terry Tibbs...talk to me

It's not too bad. Quite civilized compared to Saudi Arabia. Nowt to worry about

Is that an 'adam ant' quote... per chance?

flares Apr 28th 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by woodywoodster (Post 10030521)
Is that an 'adam ant' quote... per chance?

http://www.e4.com/fonejacker/soundboard-tibbs.html

Phonejacker

but I remember Adam and the Ants

'Marco, Merrick, Terry Lee, Gary Tibbs and yours truly, from the naughty north to the something south, we got the mouth'

Millhouse Apr 28th 2012 5:17 pm

I quite like the driving here. Simple, easy, straight and wide roads, almost no on-coming traffic, no need to indicate, no need to use your lights if you don't fancy it, or even really pay much attention to the road if you are texting.

Woody, it's fine. First week ot two you'll think WTF, thereafter you will be joining in.

Vanya Apr 28th 2012 6:14 pm

Let me arrive! You want a French and Russian-speaking Englishman to teach rich children!!!!

Oyibopeppeh Apr 28th 2012 6:55 pm

I've experienced far worse driving than the UAE, this place is tame in comparison with Libya for instance.

But the one biggest complaint here are the majority of road users who just sit there in your blind spot, not either over or undertaking.

If I had any driving advice to give, it would be that checking your mirrors is not enough - you need to look over your shoulder before pulling out.

Millhouse Apr 28th 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 10031029)
If I had any driving advice to give, it would be that checking your mirrors is not enough - you need to look over your shoulder before pulling out.

Very true - even more so if driving an 4x4 with large blind spots.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 28th 2012 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10031034)
Very true - even more so if driving an 4x4 with large blind spots.

I didn't know what a blind spot was until I moved here.

Welivehere Apr 28th 2012 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10031082)
I didn't know what a blind spot was until I moved here.

The bit between your belly button and your knees... :D;)

busybee2 Apr 28th 2012 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10030961)
I quite like the driving here. Simple, easy, straight and wide roads, almost no on-coming traffic, no need to indicate, no need to use your lights if you don't fancy it, or even really pay much attention to the road if you are texting.

Woody, it's fine. First week ot two you'll think WTF, thereafter you will be joining in.

no on-coming traffic, thursday i was driving down past the school, 2 lane split carriageway as they all are, and this guy was driving down the wrong side, cars parked in the first lane so there wasnt much room in the first lane, and he was expecting me to move around him, nope nope and nope, duh you reverse, he eventually got the message.....!!!!!

soukie Apr 28th 2012 11:30 pm

I used to think driving in UAE was mad until I experienced the ring roads in Kuwait! My advice is that it's better to drive than experience ME driving as a passenger.

lostinthedust Apr 29th 2012 12:24 am

As a passenger I scream, cover my eyes and pray to the spagetti monster in Riyadh. UAE has always seemed quite civilized to me.

soukie Apr 29th 2012 12:48 am

Originally Posted by lostinthedust (Post 10031369)
As a passenger I scream, cover my eyes and pray to the spagetti monster in Riyadh. UAE has always seemed quite civilized to me.

I sit in the back when I am a passenger:)

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 29th 2012 12:56 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 10031311)
I used to think driving in UAE was mad until I experienced the ring roads in Kuwait! My advice is that it's better to drive than experience ME driving as a passenger.

I can testify to this. The place is MENTAL

Meow Apr 29th 2012 1:19 am

The most scared I have ever been whilst driving was in the centre of Seville in rush hour. It was worse than here.

Autonomy Apr 29th 2012 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10031436)
The most scared I have ever been whilst driving was in the centre of Seville in rush hour. It was worse than here.

Mumbai traffic is the definition of chaos. With added cows.

Beirut can get pretty interesting. Red lights are just pretty roadside adornments and not instructions.

Possibly most scared - Beirut to Damascus highway over the mountains, in the snow with people using the 2 lane as 4 lanes...

Miss Anne Thrope Apr 29th 2012 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10031451)
Possibly most scared - Beirut to Damascus highway over the mountains, in the snow with people using the 2 lane as 4 lanes...

Double-check to that and you haven't even mentioned the maniac truck drivers and their psychotic games of chicken and arbitrary "military" checkpoints. Still, I reckon I'd do it again...

woodywoodster Apr 29th 2012 11:10 pm

So am I looking at a big 4x4 ... quite fancy the Mitsubishi Delica (its an import in the UK and likely over with you guys as well)... normally about the 3 grand mark with bloody big bull bars at the front , high seating position...2.8 shogun engine (how much is fuel??) . As long as the air con works well enough... it should be a good old bus and well up to the job..

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?start...9&ty=86&surl=1

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 29th 2012 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by woodywoodster (Post 10032785)
So am I looking at a big 4x4 ... quite fancy the Mitsubishi Delica (its an import in the UK and likely over with you guys as well)... normally about the 3 grand mark with bloody big bull bars at the front , high seating position...2.8 shogun engine (how much is fuel??) . As long as the air con works well enough... it should be a good old bus and well up to the job..

Are you ****ing kidding me?

I would go out of my way to drive into that.

Just get here and buy an old Pajero / Explorer type thing - cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to fill up and cheap to service.

britexpat76 Apr 30th 2012 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10032840)
Are you ****ing kidding me?

I would go out of my way to drive into that.

Just get here and buy an old Pajero / Explorer type thing - cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to fill up and cheap to service.

Thats the worst car in the world, I'd sooner have a Tiida. AD's roads are all in Good condition (generally) you dont need to have a 4x4.

Get an Old X5 4.8 for about 10k english and you wont lose a great deal on it.

Millhouse Apr 30th 2012 12:20 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10032900)
Thats the worst car in the world, I'd sooner have a Tiida. AD's roads are all in Good condition (generally) you dont need to have a 4x4.

Get an Old X5 4.8 for about 10k english and you wont lose a great deal on it.

Which one, the Pajero or the Explorer?

A Pajero is OK - at least they double up as a reasonable offroader at the weekend.

An X5 would be a disaster... the bills!

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 30th 2012 12:27 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10032900)
you dont need to have a 4x4.

Get an Old X5

Excellent advice there mate!!!

You don't need XYZ

Just get XYZ.

Classic.

Other note - I looked at X5's, apparently their tyres are only made for that car, none others, so cost a fortune.

britexpat76 Apr 30th 2012 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10032928)
Excellent advice there mate!!!

You don't need XYZ

Just get XYZ.

Classic.

Other note - I looked at X5's, apparently their tyres are only made for that car, none others, so cost a fortune.

I was saying the delicia or whatever its called are shite. I can get tyres for X5's for 250 Dibs in musaffah. Well I could when I was there.

The performance is just so much better than any yank tank or Jap scrap.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 30th 2012 12:44 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10032953)
I was saying the delicia or whatever its called are shite. I can get tyres for X5's for 250 Dibs in musaffah. Well I could when I was there.

I know I know.

The X5's that were in my price bracket were not great. 18month old Explorer was much better value in my books.

If I was willing to spend more of my own money then I'd have got a Range Rover or maybe the X5. But I'm too tight.

Millhouse Apr 30th 2012 12:46 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10032953)

250 AED for tyres? Was that in 1999? Think more like 1000+ now.

Millhouse Apr 30th 2012 12:47 am

Originally Posted by woodywoodster (Post 10032785)

I just clicked the link. You bastard - that hurt my eyes. I've not seen something that ugly since I was last in the Trap.

Meow Apr 30th 2012 12:52 am

Are you lot doing that snotty expat thing of judging people based on what they are driving?

britexpat76 Apr 30th 2012 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10032968)
250 AED for tyres? Was that in 1999? Think more like 1000+ now.

It was 2009, I had a guy in a unit there who sold Part worns, they were not new but far from knackered. Most of the locals changed all 4 tyres every service.........

New I would be surprised if they were only 1k......

britexpat76 Apr 30th 2012 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10032987)
Are you lot doing that snotty expat thing of judging people based on what they are driving?

I do it at home too......Bear in mind my job is selling the damn things I am pretty good at generalising people just by what they drive.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 30th 2012 1:03 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10032997)
I do it at home too......Bear in mind my job is selling the damn things I am pretty good at generalising people just by what they drive.

What if someone has two cars?

Split personality?

Meow Apr 30th 2012 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10033005)
What if someone has two cars?

Split personality?

or just two-faced?

britexpat76 Apr 30th 2012 1:12 am

They are indecisive.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 30th 2012 1:25 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10033024)
They are indecisive.

What about 3 or 4 or 5?

britexpat76 Apr 30th 2012 1:30 am

More money than sense. probably shagging 3 women too

busybee2 Apr 30th 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10032989)
It was 2009, I had a guy in a unit there who sold Part worns, they were not new but far from knackered. Most of the locals changed all 4 tyres every service.........

New I would be surprised if they were only 1k......

my patrol tyres were 450 and my mustang 750 each

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 30th 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10033046)
More money than sense. probably shagging 3 women too

Nah, Dad's loyal.

Tockalosh Apr 30th 2012 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10032963)
I know I know.

If I was willing to spend more of my own money then I'd have got a Range Rover. .

Good man Scamp,