British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   "so talk to me about Driving" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/so-talk-me-about-driving-756483/)

woodywoodster Apr 28th 2012 4:31 pm

"so talk to me about Driving"

Apart from the weather and the tax (or lack of it) Abu Dhabi 'seems' to be known for its bonkers driving. Is it as much of a nightmare as I keep reading... do you just get used to it... do you all just take cabs everywhere.... and are there any 'rules of the road' books anyone can recommend pertaining to getting from A t o B...safely ? I love driving and we are always out and about at home. However based on what I am reading I will be looking for a small armored vehicle upon my arrival at your fair shores!!

Vanya Apr 28th 2012 4:48 pm

Re: "so talk to me about Driving"

I know how you feel. I would not dare to drive in Russia - driving in France is bad enough. I just take the bus and the tram and let the mad drivers and police fight it out.

flares Apr 28th 2012 5:15 pm

Terry Tibbs...talk to me

It's not too bad. Quite civilized compared to Saudi Arabia. Nowt to worry about

Tockalosh Apr 28th 2012 5:57 pm

Woody, you worry far too much. Chill out, relax and enjoy the ride. Moving to AD is just one big holiday and you will have a great life :)

woodywoodster Apr 28th 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10030355)
Terry Tibbs...talk to me

It's not too bad. Quite civilized compared to Saudi Arabia. Nowt to worry about

Is that an 'adam ant' quote... per chance?

flares Apr 29th 2012 4:06 am

Originally Posted by woodywoodster (Post 10030521)
Is that an 'adam ant' quote... per chance?

http://www.e4.com/fonejacker/soundboard-tibbs.html

Phonejacker

but I remember Adam and the Ants

'Marco, Merrick, Terry Lee, Gary Tibbs and yours truly, from the naughty north to the something south, we got the mouth'

Millhouse Apr 29th 2012 5:17 am

I quite like the driving here. Simple, easy, straight and wide roads, almost no on-coming traffic, no need to indicate, no need to use your lights if you don't fancy it, or even really pay much attention to the road if you are texting.

Woody, it's fine. First week ot two you'll think WTF, thereafter you will be joining in.

Vanya Apr 29th 2012 6:14 am

Let me arrive! You want a French and Russian-speaking Englishman to teach rich children!!!!

Oyibopeppeh Apr 29th 2012 6:55 am

I've experienced far worse driving than the UAE, this place is tame in comparison with Libya for instance.

But the one biggest complaint here are the majority of road users who just sit there in your blind spot, not either over or undertaking.

If I had any driving advice to give, it would be that checking your mirrors is not enough - you need to look over your shoulder before pulling out.

Millhouse Apr 29th 2012 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 10031029)
If I had any driving advice to give, it would be that checking your mirrors is not enough - you need to look over your shoulder before pulling out.

Very true - even more so if driving an 4x4 with large blind spots.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 29th 2012 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10031034)
Very true - even more so if driving an 4x4 with large blind spots.

I didn't know what a blind spot was until I moved here.

Welivehere Apr 29th 2012 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10031082)
I didn't know what a blind spot was until I moved here.

The bit between your belly button and your knees... :D;)

busybee2 Apr 29th 2012 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10030961)
I quite like the driving here. Simple, easy, straight and wide roads, almost no on-coming traffic, no need to indicate, no need to use your lights if you don't fancy it, or even really pay much attention to the road if you are texting.

Woody, it's fine. First week ot two you'll think WTF, thereafter you will be joining in.

no on-coming traffic, thursday i was driving down past the school, 2 lane split carriageway as they all are, and this guy was driving down the wrong side, cars parked in the first lane so there wasnt much room in the first lane, and he was expecting me to move around him, nope nope and nope, duh you reverse, he eventually got the message.....!!!!!

soukie Apr 29th 2012 11:30 am

I used to think driving in UAE was mad until I experienced the ring roads in Kuwait! My advice is that it's better to drive than experience ME driving as a passenger.

lostinthedust Apr 29th 2012 12:24 pm

As a passenger I scream, cover my eyes and pray to the spagetti monster in Riyadh. UAE has always seemed quite civilized to me.