Wikiposts

so how and why...

Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default so how and why...

...did our ideas of what is acceptable and what isn't change...

i'm watching spartacus at the moment (err...i may have mentioned it, lol) and people used to go and watch the gladiators fight it out to the death...there was also an underworld of fighting in the pits, where there were no rules, it was literally fight as dirty as you can to kill your opponent...people loved it and the more gruesome it was, the better...

at that time, sex was also very liberal, as was homosexuality...

so...when did we decide this was all wrong...? and why did we...? would genuinely be interested to know...

MM, xx
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:49 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so how and why...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

i'm watching spartacus at the moment (err...i may have mentioned it, lol) and people used to go and watch the gladiators fight it out to the death...there was also an underworld of fighting in the pits, where there were no rules, it was literally fight as dirty as you can to kill your opponent...people loved it and the more gruesome it was, the better...

so...when did we decide this was all wrong...? and why did we...? would genuinely be interested to know...

MM, xx
Wasn't us...I think it came from edicts by the first Roman Christian emperor Constantine and his co-emperor Licinius in about 300 AD. Later Justinian, carried on the 'good' (?) work.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:51 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

lots of people still like it, violent movies are still popular and I think (not based on anything of course) that there are 'straight' people that are turned on by watching or fantasizing about gay sex...
not sure why it's been regulated though...guess you'd have to have some knowledge of history to answer that question...
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Wasn't us...I think it came from edicts by the first Roman Christian emperor Constantine and his co-emperor Licinius in about 300 AD. Later Justinian, carried on the 'good' (?) work.
lol, i meant "we" in the widest sense...i really didn't know how it changed...so why did they decide it was wrong...?

MM, xx
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:52 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

MM, xx
I don't know about the fighting thing, but the sex stuff still goes on in places like Thailand.......... allegedly.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Thailand, all you request is available over there
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
lots of people still like it, violent movies are still popular and I think (not based on anything of course) that there are 'straight' people that are turned on by watching or fantasizing about gay sex...
not sure why it's been regulated though...guess you'd have to have some knowledge of history to answer that question...
yeah, but i wonder whether they would want to go and actually see someone killing someone else (although i know there are snuff movies)...it's much more underground than a mass entertainment thing...

MM, xx
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I don't know about the fighting thing, but the sex stuff still goes on in places like Thailand.......... allegedly.
Oh the fighting does as well, highly illegal even in Thailand, but it is still going on.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Originally Posted by Euc-
Go to Thailand, all you request is available over there
lol, yeah of course...but this was more that married couples would all be shagging as the norm, rather than a small group of swingers...

maybe you're right, it is just the same now, just a bit more hidden...

MM, xx
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:55 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, but i wonder whether they would want to go and actually see someone killing someone else (although i know there are snuff movies)...it's much more underground than a mass entertainment thing...

MM, xx
it's still a nice outing on a Friday in Saudi...maybe they are more in touch with their inner selfs, lol...
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:57 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

er, don't believe everything you see on the telly!

Re: The Games - life was cheap, death was common (childbirth, child mortality, constant war, low lifespan, so most people would die "in their prime") and courage was a virtue. Also even the professional gladiators were slaves and so their lives were utterly disposable. Some - the successful and "not dead" ones - went on to buy their freedom, but that's it. They could become famous and even praised/worshipped, but even that was more like the praise you'd ascribe to a work of art - an object... or footballers.

As to things being liberal, er, maybe not. This was a time when married Greek women were not actually allowed out of their homes apart from on one feast-day per year. Roman matrons also had to appear virtuous and were utterly dominated by the Pater Familias, whose word was law. Homosexuality and adultery may have been rife in Ancient Rome, but woe betide anyone who brought shame on their family.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it's still a nice outing on a Friday in Saudi...maybe they are more in touch with their inner selfs, lol...
ok, ok...so actually the human race hasn't progressed at all since roman times, lol...

MM, xx
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

But there isn't a real fight in that, so the entertainment value is less
Old Feb 14th 2010, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
er, don't believe everything you see on the telly!

Re: The Games - life was cheap, death was common (childbirth, child mortality, constant war, low lifespan, so most people would die "in their prime") and courage was a virtue. Also even the professional gladiators were slaves and so their lives were utterly disposable. Some - the successful and "not dead" ones - went on to buy their freedom, but that's it. They could become famous and even praised/worshipped, but even that was more like the praise you'd ascribe to a work of art - an object... or footballers.

As to things being liberal, er, maybe not. This was a time when married Greek women were not actually allowed out of their homes apart from on one feast-day per year. Roman matrons also had to appear virtuous and were utterly dominated by the Pater Familias, whose word was law. Homosexuality and adultery may have been rife in Ancient Rome, but woe betide anyone who brought shame on their family.
Hmm, so it's between Saudi and Thailand now.

-Thailand for fighting with illegal killing and all the sex you want

- Saudi for legal killing without fighting and women are granted the same privileges as in acient rome.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 4:04 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Euc-
Hmm, so it's between Saudi and Thailand now.

-Thailand for fighting with illegal killing and all the sex you want

- Saudi for legal killing without fighting and women are granted the same privileges as in acient rome.
I'd go for Thailand - nicer climate.... and booze. They had booze in ancient Rome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.