Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

so...does repeatedly pressing the lift button...

so...does repeatedly pressing the lift button...

Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default so...does repeatedly pressing the lift button...

...when it's already clearly been pressed (and is lit up to show that) make the lift come any quicker...i have to assume it does, given the vigorous pressing action this guy was doing at the lift today at work...

why do people do that...press it when you've already done it, i mean...same for the crossing buttons at traffic lights...it's just so bloody annoying...

MM, xx
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default Re: so...does repeatedly pressing the lift button...

Because they can, basically lol.

I press up and down, calling 2 lifts at once. Sounds stupid but it works! It will then call a lift that is already booked to go past your floor in the wrong direction You may spend another 2 mins in the lift while it drops the current customer off at worst but at least youre the next customer! If you press only the direction you want to go you need to wait for everyone else that the lift is passing first!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigtaff

I press up and down, calling 2 lifts at once. Sounds stupid but it works! It will then call a lift that is already booked to go past your floor in the wrong direction You may spend another 2 mins in the lift while it drops the current customer off at worst but at least youre the next customer! If you press only the direction you want to go you need to wait for everyone else that the lift is passing first!
it was you, today, wasn't it, lol...

MM, xx
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:13 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

do you talk really loud in English to people that don't understand English, thinking that might do the trick...
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
do you talk really loud in English to people that don't understand English, thinking that might do the trick...
no, he talks in welsh, lol...

MM, xx
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:22 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

another mystery is people that spill something on their shirt and then think that really rubbing it hard with their fingers is going to make it disappear...
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

But it does remove stains and shouting does work!!!

Im normally very patient but there are 4 lifts in this place but the bloody workmen abuse them so I call 2 to make sure I get service!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

That is illogical.

If you're on the 5th floor and want to go down:

...if a lift is going up...it will stop to pick you up...you then ride up to whereever the lift was originally going and then go back down to whereever you want to go passing through your original location.
But if you hadn't pushed the up...it would stop for you on the way down?

It has saved you absolutely no time at all and has only served to cost those going up the few seconds it took to stop and let you in on the way up.

And sometimes....it even stops on the 5th floor on the way back down because the down arrow you pushed is still on.

Dumb logic that is and it annoys me the people who do it.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
That is illogical.

If you're on the 5th floor and want to go down:

...if a lift is going up...it will stop to pick you up...you then ride up to whereever the lift was originally going and then go back down to whereever you want to go passing through your original location.
But if you hadn't pushed the up...it would stop for you on the way down?

It has saved you absolutely no time at all and has only served to cost those going up the few seconds it took to stop and let you in on the way up.

And sometimes....it even stops on the 5th floor on the way back down because the down arrow you pushed is still on.

Dumb logic that is and it annoys me the people who do it.
Some people are good in maths...Some people are good in arts...

I am super in bullshitting...
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

If you press only the direction you want to go you need to wait for everyone else that the lift is passing first!
You need to wait for them either way - either in the lift our out...it makes no difference to you.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jeeper
You need to wait for them either way - either in the lift our out...it makes no difference to you.
exactly...so why do they press the sodding button again and again...

MM, xx
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Example - I am stood on 5th floor, wanting to go up. Someone is in the lift above me, on their way down to floor 3. If I press the up button, this lift will pass me as its not going the way I want to go. If the lift I actually want is on G and people on floor 1, 2, 3, 4 have pressed up then I have to wait for all these people to get serviced before it comes to me. So, by pressing both, whichever is nearer will stop. Do you see now? Crikey, I was just trying to help out and I now have a terror campaign launched against me!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:55 pm
hmmmm...nice

Example - I am stood on 5th floor, wanting to go up. Someone is in the lift above me, on their way down to floor 3. If I press the up button, this lift will pass me as its not going the way I want to go. If the lift I actually want is on G and people on floor 1, 2, 3, 4 have pressed up then I have to wait for all these people to get serviced before it comes to me. So, by pressing both, whichever is nearer will stop. Do you see now? Crikey, I was just trying to help out and I now have a terror campaign launched against me!
well, to be fair, you are extremely annoying...
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did say we have 4 lifts here, that is why it works. Obviously if there was only one lift it wouldnt work!!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
well, to be fair, you are extremely annoying...
oii...be nice to the welsh bloke...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.