British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sign o' the times (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sign-o-times-623925/)

NorthernLad Aug 5th 2009 3:47 am

Sign o' the times

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/56381...o-be-cut-by-25

Things must be tough when they are worried about a mere $2.5 million.

Blue Cat Aug 5th 2009 4:48 am

Re: Sign o' the times

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7813832)
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/56381...o-be-cut-by-25

Things must be tough when they are worried about a mere $2.5 million.

I think it is more a case of it is felt that 10 mill is an obscene amount of money to be throwing round, but saying that so is 7.5 mill. The World Cup will be cut next - if they ever finish Meydan that is. There is will no winter racing challenge from Nov to Jan with the racing season starting in January. Rumour has it some races will be held at Jeb but we will have to see.

Emerald_Eyes Aug 5th 2009 4:50 am

Apparently the Rugby Sevens might be off this year as well because there's a dispute over costs.

Blue Cat Aug 5th 2009 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7813902)
Apparently the Rugby Sevens might be off this year as well because there's a dispute over costs.

now that will cause one hell of an uproar!!

Inselaffen Aug 5th 2009 4:58 am

true. where will all the Safas go to get pissed?

Blue Cat Aug 5th 2009 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7813914)
true. where will all the Safas go to get pissed?

Barasti?

Emerald_Eyes Aug 5th 2009 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7813904)
now that will cause one hell of an uproar!!

I know - I was chatting with some colleagues the other day who play in the Sevens, they're currently doing circuit training in preparation, but they said it might be for nothing. Saying that Emirates has already got the website going for this year's sevens, but apparently it might not happen as the venue hasn't been secured due to increased costs.

Blue Cat Aug 5th 2009 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7813920)
I know - I was chatting with some colleagues the other day who play in the Sevens, they're currently doing circuit training in preparation, but they said it might be for nothing. Saying that Emirates has already got the website going for this year's sevens, but apparently it might not happen as the venue hasn't been secured due to increased costs.

but haven't they already got the venue? The Dean will know :)

Dubaidog Aug 5th 2009 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7813902)

I can not see that happening - the 7's has got to be a net revenue generator for Dubai Inc. when you consider the hotel bookings and tourism spend over that weekend.

Blue Cat Aug 5th 2009 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Dubaidog (Post 7813925)
I can not see that happening - the 7's has got to be a net revenue generator for Dubai Inc. when you consider the hotel bookings and tourism spend over that weekend.

yes but alot of people come in from overseas and they may not have the cash to travel to Dubai and be ripped off in our luxury hotels just to get pissed in the desert?

Emerald_Eyes Aug 5th 2009 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Dubaidog (Post 7813925)

All I can tell you is what I heard from friends who have played in the Sevens for quite a few years and are supposed to be playing again this year. Hopefully I'm wrong and it will be sorted out. Not that I really care, the thought of spending the day in the hot sun watching rugby with wankered Aussies, Kiwis and Saffas doesn't really fill me with excitement :)

Blue Cat Aug 5th 2009 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7813934)
All I can tell you is what I heard from friends who have played in the Sevens for quite a few years and are supposed to be playing again this year. Hopefully I'm wrong and it will be sorted out. Not that I really care, the thought of spending the day in the hot sun watching rugby with wankered Aussies, Kiwis and Saffas doesn't really fill me with excitement :)

same here EE :p

spartans53 Aug 5th 2009 5:27 am

I actually know quite a bit about this and have been involved in some of the talks. There is a problem but the 7s will go ahead as it is the main money driver for rugby in the region and the white elephant in the desert has to be paid for somehow.

Thats my knowlege anyhow

if anyone wants to know more please PM me

Mike

Dubaidog Aug 5th 2009 5:28 am

I'd put money on it still happening - I am sure there are behind the scenes wrangling over costs for the ground, services, lack of sponsors etc. but I believe it will go ahead - even if in a slimmed down form.

commander Aug 5th 2009 5:30 am

Not that I really care, the thought of spending the day in the hot sun watching rugby with wankered Aussies, Kiwis and Saffas doesn't really fill me with excitement :)

my sentiments exactly...avoid barasti's at all costs!!