British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Should Scamp get married and have kids? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/should-scamp-get-married-have-kids-816383/)

Blue Cat Dec 2nd 2013 12:19 pm

Re: Should Scamp get married and have kids?

Millhouse you aren't married? how does that work with visa's etc? does your partner have her own?

Millhouse Dec 2nd 2013 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 11016600)
Millhouse you aren't married? how does that work with visa's etc? does your partner have her own?

Ah, I am married... that said, had we not come here then we would never have married.

Do as I say, not as I do. :lol:

Blue Cat Dec 2nd 2013 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11016624)
Ah, I am married... that said, had we not come here then we would never have married.

Do as I say, not as I do. :lol:

:thumbup:

Irishbeekeeper Dec 2nd 2013 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11015658)
We got married at 25 (had been together almost 4 years by then, so both "knew"). Both wanted kids, decided to start trying almost straight away. Took almost 8 years of heartache before we had our first child.

So, no hurry, but life throws curveballs. If you know this is the woman you love, and you want to be with her when you are old, and share your life with her, marry her. Having kids or not, is only a decision the two of you can make, and even then sometimes the choice is taken from you.

this

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11015770)
I've seen this more and more with friends and ourselves...three couples I've known for years are, like ourselves, going through IVF. 10-15 years ago this was unheard of (either due to cost or maybe embarrassment).

I now know far more about human reproduction than is normal , and it's quite scary. Perhaps it's the lifestyle we lead, diet or just bad luck, but falling pregnant is not something that should be taken for granted.

And trust me, it's very, very tough when it's not working. Maybe Scamp is a bit young to worry about this just yet, but if we could turn back the clock we'd not have left it so late.

and this

Millsyisland Dec 3rd 2013 9:02 am

Another important thing to consider before marriage is whether you both want children or both agree you don't want children. Nothing worse than a festering resentment later on from one party to the other about whether or not you want kids.

Been happily married 10 years this year with 2 kids and no regrets. And we were both very clear before tying the knot that we wanted kids.

OriginalSunshine Dec 3rd 2013 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 11018149)
Another important thing to consider before marriage is whether you both want children or both agree you don't want children. Nothing worse than a festering resentment later on from one party to the other about whether or not you want kids.

Been happily married 10 years this year with 2 kids and no regrets. And we were both very clear before tying the knot that we wanted kids.

Very true. Need to be completely honest. Friends of ours got divorced after 10 years of him stringing her along. She always wanted kids and was very clear. He didn't and was clear to us but not to her, mañana mañana... always some excuse as to why now was not the right time. She jumped through all the hoops he manufactured until it was clear to her that he didn't want kids whatever the circumstances. Unfortunately she was 39 when they divorced. Met a lovely guy at 42 and is now going through piss poor chances at IVF :frown:

Kix Dec 4th 2013 5:42 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11018605)
Very true. Need to be completely honest. Friends of ours got divorced after 10 years of him stringing her along. She always wanted kids and was very clear. He didn't and was clear to us but not to her, mañana mañana... always some excuse as to why now was not the right time. She jumped through all the hoops he manufactured until it was clear to her that he didn't want kids whatever the circumstances. Unfortunately she was 39 when they divorced. Met a lovely guy at 42 and is now going through piss poor chances at IVF :frown:

Somewhat one sided that though, it takes two OS.

Millsyisland Dec 4th 2013 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11019989)

But in this example she seems to have been clear to him about wanting kids from the outset but he wasn't clear to her about not wanting them. He seems to have strung her along over the years before it finally all became clear of his perspective?

Ronnie Biggs Dec 4th 2013 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11019989)

Yep, you gotta love a one-sided story - do women ever think it might occasionally be their fault?

Kix Dec 4th 2013 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 11020147)
But in this example she seems to have been clear to him about wanting kids from the outset but he wasn't clear to her about not wanting them. He seems to have strung her along over the years before it finally all became clear of his perspective?

Again, we only have her side of things, maybe he made it totally clear to her that he didn't want kids and she just assumed he'd change his mind given time.

We just don't know.

shiva Dec 4th 2013 8:39 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11015770)

And trust me, it's very, very tough when it's not working. Maybe Scamp is a bit young to worry about this just yet, but if we could turn back the clock we'd not have left it so late.

this this and this

shiva Dec 4th 2013 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11016700)
this

and this

agreed

Meow Dec 4th 2013 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 11020156)
Yep, you gotta love a one-sided story - do women ever think it might occasionally be their fault?

You're not normally such a bigot.

This was one story about a friend of Original Sunshine's.

Kix Dec 4th 2013 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11020199)
You're not normally such a bigot.

(guessing i must be....)

Meow Dec 4th 2013 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11020225)
(guessing i must be....)

Paranoid?

I just think that sweeping comments to the effect that all women/men/foreigners/etc are xyz are ridiculous.