Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:02 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7
didi777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Hi,

Im wondering if anyone has had any experiences with shipping some items in bulk from London to Dubai.
We are moving with our baby and I'm planning to ship many many many nappies from here (maybe 50 packs). It's my favourite brand and what works best with us. I also know nappies there are very expensive- 10-15 GBP per pack.

I also want to ship other things to keep us going in the begging like deodorants, some toiletries and aerosols, baby shampoos etc (in packs).

My concern is that customs may think these items are being sold so could cause an issue.

One other thing is our Christmas tree, is that allowed to enter a muslim country? I know it is being sold there. Also any Bibles we have and Christian materials, could this cause a problem as it may be prohibited.

Thank you
didi777 is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:08 am
  #2  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,592
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Originally Posted by didi777 View Post
Hi,

Im wondering if anyone has had any experiences with shipping some items in bulk from London to Dubai.
We are moving with our baby and I'm planning to ship many many many nappies from here (maybe 50 packs). It's my favourite brand and what works best with us. I also know nappies there are very expensive- 10-15 GBP per pack.

I also want to ship other things to keep us going in the begging like deodorants, some toiletries and aerosols, baby shampoos etc (in packs).

My concern is that customs may think these items are being sold so could cause an issue.

One other thing is our Christmas tree, is that allowed to enter a muslim country? I know it is being sold there. Also any Bibles we have and Christian materials, could this cause a problem as it may be prohibited.

Thank you
You can buy everything here. Really no need to ship it. I always found nappies to be cheaper here, but I've stopped wearing them nowadays.

The bible maybe a challenge, but I know others who have brought in a few christian materials. Our maid has created a shrine in her room so I guess it can ge got in. I've also brought in some errr...distinctly unchristian products without much issue.

Have you visited?
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:01 am
  #3  
Removals Specialist
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Sussex, England
Posts: 689
kirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Here are some tips for restricted and prohibited items:
http://www.iamovers.org/files/newima...ippers/uae.pdf

Regarding new items- the official rules are that "All used personal effects and household goods are exempted of duty. Brand new items will attract Custom duty and if the invoice is not provided for the same items, Custom Inspectors will assess a value for the same and on the assessed value 5 % will be levied as Customs duty".

Mostly all shipments will go through a 100% physical inspection so follow the advice of your Removal Company given their experience with what you can and can't take.

Hope that helps?
kirstyp is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:07 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7
didi777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Hi

Thank you for your reply, I've been there a few times and I know generally the price of Nappies are much more expensive. You say you find them cheaper there what kind of Nappies are they and where do you buy them from?
I'm not really prepared to pay £10-15 for a pack when I can get them for £4.50 here and they're not the cheap type they're really good.

Does anyone else have experience with bringing in bulk items or Christian material into the country ? It won't be a lot but crosses but icons etc.
Thanks
didi777 is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2014, 10:06 am
  #5  
Token Scandinavian Bloke
 
norsk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,820
norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Originally Posted by didi777 View Post
Hi

Thank you for your reply, I've been there a few times and I know generally the price of Nappies are much more expensive. You say you find them cheaper there what kind of Nappies are they and where do you buy them from?
I'm not really prepared to pay £10-15 for a pack when I can get them for £4.50 here and they're not the cheap type they're really good.

Does anyone else have experience with bringing in bulk items or Christian material into the country ? It won't be a lot but crosses but icons etc.
Thanks
My daughter used the cheap local nappies (Sana?) they sold in Carrefour/Geant and we had no issues, but then again she was born here (well in Bahrain) so she isn't a nappy snob...

Anyway if your biggest concern with moving here is the price of nappies, deodorant and what was it again handwash then you will definitely have an interesting first 12 months in Dubai. I wish you the best of luck!

There is no law against bringing in Christian stuff that I'm aware of. Of course full size crosses might be frowned upon, but then I think that would be the same anywhere in the world to be honest.
norsk is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2014, 10:27 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

i wouldnt bother....... i came to auh way back when there were no nappies from junior sizes up and had no choice but for spinneys to "import" them in especially for me at twice the uk price...!!! now they have mostly everything you need... and if you find something that you dont there is usually something similiar..... you just restock each time someone visits you etc. i would be careful about aerosols in a shipping container if thats what you are on about... and yes if you have too much goods of the same thing, you will get customs here flagging that up and more than likely check your container and who knows charge you something.
busybee2 is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2014, 10:56 am
  #7  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,592
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Originally Posted by didi777 View Post
Hi

Thank you for your reply, I've been there a few times and I know generally the price of Nappies are much more expensive. You say you find them cheaper there what kind of Nappies are they and where do you buy them from?
I'm not really prepared to pay £10-15 for a pack when I can get them for £4.50 here and they're not the cheap type they're really good.

Does anyone else have experience with bringing in bulk items or Christian material into the country ? It won't be a lot but crosses but icons etc.
Thanks
15quid a pack? That's 90dh. They were never that much. Where are you seeing these?

Go to Car4 and get the saudi made pampers. If you are buying UK imported bamboo and organic hemp ones then they will be expensive. IF you are buying locally manufactured under license, then they will be cheap. The only problem that my wife created over the nappies is that they tend to be scented here. Then again, if they only sold unscented ones she would have wanted the scented ones.

If you are really worried about the trinkets just bring them in hand luggage. It will be no problem. The 1/3 scale Christ the Redeemer for the front garden however may present a problem.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2014, 11:36 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
15quid a pack? That's 90dh. They were never that much. Where are you seeing these?

Go to Car4 and get the saudi made pampers. If you are buying UK imported bamboo and organic hemp ones then they will be expensive. IF you are buying locally manufactured under license, then they will be cheap. The only problem that my wife created over the nappies is that they tend to be scented here. Then again, if they only sold unscented ones she would have wanted the scented ones.

If you are really worried about the trinkets just bring them in hand luggage. It will be no problem. The 1/3 scale Christ the Redeemer for the front garden however may present a problem.
i havent looked at the price of nappies for a long long time, but yes the ones sold here are very local as MH says they are made in KSA. maybe you are looking at the imported ones... goodnites etc will be from uk i suspect. but there are also lots of other names as well.
busybee2 is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2014, 4:38 pm
  #9  
Soupy twist
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,265
Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Originally Posted by didi777 View Post
One other thing is our Christmas tree, is that allowed to enter a muslim country? I know it is being sold there. Also any Bibles we have and Christian materials, could this cause a problem as it may be prohibited.
I can't imagine any problems over any of that. This isn't Saudi. There are churches here (although tucked away in Jebel Ali) and you'll see people wearing cross pendants and with that Christian fish symbol thing on their car.
Eeyore is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2014, 10:59 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7
didi777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Thanks all
I feel much better now, I guess I'll just have to find good nappies there. I know it may seem silly but when you go through lots of different brands because to me even the branded ones like pampers and huggies tend to leak a lot with our baby and then you find the perfect one and wonder what to do without them!

I'll have to speak to customs to get things by email regarding the Christmas tree and some Christian materials.
Kirsty thanks for the link I'll have a look but regarding a receipt for the customs to see what does that mean? They will see how much the good cost on a receipt and charge 5%?

Mill house and Norsk thanks for your nappy experiences if Anyone else recommends good cheap nappies then I'll be happy to hear ones that are good for the night too! Strong ones for lots of wees and poops !!
didi777 is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:34 am
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

there are good nites here which are good for night time. customs charge 5% on goods over 1kusd but not always some people have been charged for less and some people have not been charged... fact of life here no consistency in rules sometimes.

you can buy xmas trees here....!!!!
busybee2 is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:13 am
  #12  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,592
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Originally Posted by didi777 View Post
Thanks all
I feel much better now, I guess I'll just have to find good nappies there. I know it may seem silly but when you go through lots of different brands because to me even the branded ones like pampers and huggies tend to leak a lot with our baby and then you find the perfect one and wonder what to do without them!

I'll have to speak to customs to get things by email regarding the Christmas tree and some Christian materials.
Kirsty thanks for the link I'll have a look but regarding a receipt for the customs to see what does that mean? They will see how much the good cost on a receipt and charge 5%?

Mill house and Norsk thanks for your nappy experiences if Anyone else recommends good cheap nappies then I'll be happy to hear ones that are good for the night too! Strong ones for lots of wees and poops !!
Don't bother emailing customs - you won't get a response. 5% import tax works as you decribe - they either deem a value or you prove it. I seriously doubt they will take you the nappy cost anyway. Even if they do, if you think you'll be paying double in Dubai then the 5% hardly matters.

We brought the Christmas tree with us. We have also bought one in Dubai since, along with glowing reindeer, santas, stockings, Nativity scenes, tinsel etc. You could even do a boiled ham to go alongside the turkey.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:01 am
  #13  
"Insert witty title here"
 
Irishbeekeeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: dxb
Posts: 2,221
Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
Our maid has created a shrine in her room so I guess it can ge got in.
what were you doing there??
Irishbeekeeper is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:11 am
  #14  
Removals Specialist
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Sussex, England
Posts: 689
kirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond reputekirstyp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Originally Posted by didi777 View Post
Kirsty thanks for the link I'll have a look but regarding a receipt for the customs to see what does that mean? They will see how much the good cost on a receipt and charge 5%?
Yes, that's the official line. but, as you can see from other posters previous experience sometimes this is at the discretion of the customs officer in charge of the inspection, so what one inspector might gloss over another might apply the charge.
kirstyp is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:21 am
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK TO DUBAI

Originally Posted by kirstyp View Post
Yes, that's the official line. but, as you can see from other posters previous experience sometimes this is at the discretion of the customs officer in charge of the inspection, so what one inspector might gloss over another might apply the charge.
i have had and known loads of people that have things sent to the uae, some will be over the 1k limit and not be charged some who have been under the 1k limit and have been charged... it just depends on the day! and my thoughts are that whats the point if you can buy the same or similar stuff here....!! living costs are more expensive anyway so then adding on shipping costs too! if its too expensive then you dont get!
busybee2 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.