Wikiposts

Shame on Souq.com :-(

Old Jul 15th 2012, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Shame on Souq.com :-(

Originally Posted by al dente
I'm up for a BE one. Scamp, if you organise it, i'll give 1000dhs.
Can't work out how to.

Money needs to be with this charity ASAP and this forum has people from all over.

To be honest, the best way seems to be doing it through those vouchers.

I think that's what I will do tonight.

Unless anyone can think of another way to do it?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:00 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I think it's more a case of they will meet half the price. Better than nothing and they have stepped in at the last minute.
I wasn't knocking it. Just wanted clarification before I bought some vouchers.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:12 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Seems like they're just being used as a method of getting the meals to the camps, they aren't handing anything over themselves.

From their site

As part of this campaign, dealgobbler.com waives any commission and shoulders all the payment transaction fees for all the sales that goes towards this cause.

So that's a few fills per transaction (processing fees are usually 2-3%). Not as good as it first appears, but anything is better than nothing I guess - and it's great publicity for them!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Lola who runs ViD is very straight and if she thinks this is the best way to do something short notice, then it probably is.

It's not as if everyone could just turn up at a camp with a few sandwiches..
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's not as if everyone could just turn up at a camp with a few sandwiches..
Dare you.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:39 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Dare you.
There are ones where you could and I have visited ones in the past where the workers had not been paid for months. I suspect most would prefer a decent curry to a cheese and ham sarnie though...

Bluecat - did I tell you I bumped into Roger a couple of weeks ago? He and Elle are still doing good works, but in a very low-key way. The long term posters may remember Helping Hands.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:43 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

There are ones where you could and I have visited ones in the past where the workers had not been paid for months. I suspect most would prefer a decent curry to a cheese and ham sarnie though...

Bluecat - did I tell you I bumped into Roger a couple of weeks ago? He and Elle are still doing good works, but in a very low-key way. The long term posters may remember Helping Hands.
Did you manage to sell them a pension?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:47 am
Bored liberal

Did you manage to sell them a pension?
Cheeky sod!

Yes and life cover and a bag of magic beans...
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:52 am
Shark Fisherman

Cheeky sod!

Yes and life cover and a bag of magic beans...
You truly are gifted meow. Maybe one day I shall trust you with my Savings Plan of £76.27 and my 1979 Millenium Falcon, Still Boxed.

And not forgetting my house which must have £5 equity in it.

Last edited by britexpat76; Jul 16th 2012 at 12:56 am.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:01 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yes I forgot to tell you I saw Roger when I was re-registering the car, they moved to Sharjah now
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:05 am
Bored liberal

You truly are gifted meow. Maybe one day I shall trust you with my Savings Plan of £76.27 and my 1979 Millenium Falcon, Still Boxed.

And not forgetting my house which must have £5 equity in it.

You are truly a desirable client. I'll pass your details on to deevee...
Old Jul 16th 2012, 6:15 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Based on my personal experience of the people who work in Souq.com this doesn't surprise me at all. I would actually have been more surprised if they had gone through with the donation. Barstewards!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

lily_molly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone. Whoop, didn't think registering was that easy! Just wanted to comment on this. I personally know both Lola and the guy who runs dealgobbler (based on separate mutual friends) and it's legit. Yes, it is good publicity for them, they're not matching the donations which is understandable because they're not as big as them. But to come to action at the last minute is commendable and if that's the best thing they can do, it's better than nothing. He even went out of his way to send a personal email to us saying if we can't donate via the website, he can arrange cheque collection personally to be written directly to the catering company so it won't involve his website at all. He is a good chap.

I have been also involved in some way, helping find corporate sponsorships as they still have a long way to go. 11,900 and on dealgobbler, it has been about 4000 labourers covered. Plus, Lola's getting some other sponsors and some have committed to bulk contributions which should keep us a little more than halfway the target. Still, a long way to go but if any of you can help, individually or group or corporate or even as a family - it would been an awesome Ramadan dontchathink?

Or just spreading the word about it - any exposure would help. It doesn't even have to be via the website as I know a lot of people are hesitant on online transaction. Get in touch with Lola through her FB page and she can coordinate.

Happy days and Ramadan Kareem,
Molly :-)

Last edited by lily_molly; Jul 18th 2012 at 11:30 pm.