Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Segregation "wall" or "partition?

Segregation "wall" or "partition?

Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Segregation "wall" or "partition?

It seems there is a linguistic argument brewing over the new ruling where women are allowed to work in the same stores that men frequent.

http://arabnews.com/gender-segregati...mixed-reaction

http://riyadhbureau.com/blog/2013/2/segregation-wall

The blog talks about the partition/wall must be built that is minimum 160cm tall so that the female staff can't be seen from the other side.

Dr. Aisha Natto says, "It is up to the ceiling. So for those who understood it as a wall, it’s clearly not a wall but just a partition." and, "the partition will be approximately between 1 and 1.8 meters."

Given that I'm 30cm taller than the minimum they've laid out and I've heard arab men aren't exactly on the short side, how effective is this actually going to be? and are we going to have to stoop to enter these shops now based on the quote from Natto?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Segregation "wall" or "partition?

In summary: KSA gets even stupider.

They truly are obsessed with sex if they cannot even allow men and women to even see each other in public, despite being covered head to toe, for fear of sexual shenanigans.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
In summary: KSA gets even stupider.
They truly are obsessed with sex if they cannot even allow men and women to even see each other in public, despite being covered head to toe, for fear of sexual shenanigans.
Tolerance, apparently.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:55 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Tolerance, apparently.
In whose dictionary?

They're just making this stuff up, aren't they?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Even we have segregated swimming pools in Mushrif Park. I've also just found out that my daughter isn't allowed to attend school on boys sports day. The boys are likewise excluded from school on girls sports day. I pity the kids with working parents and no maids to look after them.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:00 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by mentalist
Even we have segregated swimming pools in Mushrif Park. I've also just found out that my daughter isn't allowed to attend school on boys sports day. The boys are likewise excluded from school on girls sports day. I pity the kids with working parents and no maids to look after them.
I pity the children who are being subjected to this nonsense. No wonder men see women as objects if they are even separated fom them as children.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:49 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder men see women as objects if they are even separated fom them as children.
I have been somehow able to manage that without segregation
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:57 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I have been somehow able to manage that without segregation
If you went to school in Ireland, at least before the '90s, you were segregated from First Class (age 7) unless you're from Killiney or somewhere really posh with weird (i.e. non-religious) schools.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:02 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
If you went to school in Ireland, at least before the '90s, you were segregated from First Class (age 7) unless you're from Killiney or somewhere really posh with weird (i.e. non-religious) schools.
I was never in an all boys school, but then again I am in my thirties (just) so maybe that explains it. Plenty of mixed schools in Ireland
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:32 am

I was never in an all boys school, but then again I am in my thirties (just) so maybe that explains it. Plenty of mixed schools in Ireland
On the southside of Dublin maybe? The only mixed secondary (still) where I'm from, which is a fairly big town down the bog, is the Prod school (though it clearly attracts a much wider demographic than it was established to cater for).

Last edited by Miss Anne Thrope; Feb 6th 2013 at 7:36 am.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:22 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
On the southside of Dublin maybe? The only mixed secondary (still) where I'm from, which is a fairly big town down the bog, is the Prod school (though it clearly attracts a much wider demographic than it was established to cater for).
lots of mixed schools in the bogs, all the presentation colleges and old tec schools were mixed as far as I remember
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

All boys military boarding schools and the one lad who supplied the entire school with mens mags. Reminds me of this little issue that I'm sure is being played out by the locals big style:

http://youtu.be/EfWaV5xyPWo?t=7m14s

and finishes off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C65kCs6-4B0
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:37 am

lots of mixed schools in the bogs, all the presentation colleges and old tec schools were mixed as far as I remember
Presentations? Not where I come from. But Tecs, yeah I forgot about Tecs (and given that more than one family member is a Tec teacher, that's a bit unforgiveable). Ok, I kind of concede...
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

siddiqui is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the wall between the liberals and the ultraist...
Old Feb 9th 2013, 8:49 pm
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

They truly are obsessed with sex...
Indeed they are: "If a girl is sexually desired, her parents should cover her face and force her to wear veil," a Saudi cleric said.

He is talking about two years babies.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/0...al-harassment/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.