British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Scottish Independence - Yes or No? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/scottish-independence-yes-no-816451/)

jam25mack Dec 3rd 2013 5:29 am

Re: Scottish Independence - Yes or No?

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11017833)
I would strongly disagree with that statement. Scots like to take the pish out of the English but I don't believe that:
a) The figure is as high as 90%
b) That it is what you describe as a 'chip'.
c) That there is any genuine animosity from the vast majority of Scots, just some bawbags from the central belt.

Thankfully we are allowed to have differing opinions.

I agree that banter is banter, I love it - it's braw, however, after living in Scotland for several years and discussing such things with my mum who still lives there, I would strongly disagree with you! One of her comments was that the way she has been treated over the past 15 years has changed dramatically in the last five. Since the recession and the talk of 'Independence' in her opinion the attitude towards English folk has declined noticeably and she genuinely doesn't like living there, where as once she loved it.

a) The 90% bit was off the top of my head and as 97.6743% of statistics are made up, meh!
b) There is a mega chip trust me!
c) I've been literally around the whole of Scotland and I genuinely love it, it's where I head for when I go to the UK, however, it doesn't matter where you are there will still be knobs, it's not just the central belt. This is the same in England. In terms of there being genuine animosity, maybe not, but does there need to be....? Does that make casual xenophobia acceptable? Banter is one thing but banter is only banter if it flows both ways, if it doesn't its just verbal abuse.

Kix Dec 3rd 2013 5:30 am

If scotland won independence and had to leave the EU, would that mean that all the English/Welsh/Irish/Poles/Romanians etc. that were living and working there would have to leave as their passports wouldn't allow working in a non-EU country?

Might swing it to the yes voters?

jam25mack Dec 3rd 2013 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11017880)

Nah, they'd need to do their jobs then.... ;)

mikewot Dec 3rd 2013 6:58 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 11017879)
Thankfully we are allowed to have differing opinions.

You can only have a valid opinion if you're not a plastic sweatie, ya wee sassenach dunderheid!

Meow Dec 3rd 2013 7:17 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 11017857)
Is this an example of one of your Union benefits ?

But how is that the fault of any union? Your image suggests many parts of Scotland are awful, so on the premise it's always best to live in the worst house on a good street than the other way around, better to be aligned to a nicer neighbour than a worse one.

Scottish independence would be very costly for everyone and it would be a far better solution if people tried to work together rather than forever banging on about the differences and making such a big deal about them. Alex Salmond just wants to be a big fish in a smaller pond.

jam25mack Dec 3rd 2013 8:09 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11017964)
You can only have a valid opinion if you're not a plastic sweatie, ya wee sassenach dunderheid!

:D

Whats a plastic sweatie???? One that washes???

Inselaffen Dec 3rd 2013 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11017880)
If scotland won independence and had to leave the EU, would that mean that all the English/Welsh/Irish/Poles/Romanians etc. that were living and working there would have to leave as their passports wouldn't allow working in a non-EU country?

yes but just think of all the Scots that would be sent home to Scotland. Actually starting to think Yes might be a good idea

Brains1983 Dec 3rd 2013 4:02 pm

Scot / No

Eeyore Dec 3rd 2013 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 11017812)
Personally I can't see it ever happening as it'll never get voted in

All the opinion polling that's ever been done on the subject certainly points to a comfortable majority "no" vote.

It's one of those issues where most people have already made up their minds, and no amount of campaigning is going to swing things the other way. Even if all the undecideds switched to "yes", it wouldn't be enough to alter the result. Certainly, there's no precedent for an electoral turnaround of the necessary magnitude in the time available to make it a majority "yes" vote. OK, stranger things have happened, but probably not in this case.

I wonder what the figures fore and against Scottish Independence would be from folk in England would be
It's been mooted that if the rest of the UK was allowed to vote, there is a very real possibility of Scotland voting "no" and the rest of the UK voting "yes" - which would be a tad awkward constitutionally, to say the least...

Meow Dec 4th 2013 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 11018775)
It's been mooted that if the rest of the UK was allowed to vote, there is a very real possibility of Scotland voting "no" and the rest of the UK voting "yes" - which would be a tad awkward constitutionally, to say the least...

But somewhat amusing...

The Dean Dec 4th 2013 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11020021)
But somewhat amusing...

In that situation, in effect, the 'rest' of the UK would have voted to expel Scotland from the UK, against the wishes of a majority of Scots.......... that HAS to be unconstitutional - a bit like the referendum itself then.

Meow Dec 4th 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 11020173)
In that situation, in effect, the 'rest' of the UK would have voted to expel Scotland from the UK, against the wishes of a majority of Scots.......... that HAS to be unconstitutional - a bit like the referendum itself then.

Yes and yes, but this scenario amuses me.

Now perhaps we can call do the sensible thing and organise UK/British law rather than having different laws in Scotland to England and Wales.

Kix Dec 4th 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11020178)
Yes and yes, but this scenario amuses me.

Now perhaps we can call do the sensible thing and organise UK/British law rather than having different laws in Scotland to England and Wales.

Disagree, we should have England only laws that only English MPs can vote on.

Meow Dec 4th 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11020236)
Disagree, we should have England only laws that only English MPs can vote on.

Why? The legal system isn't just about new laws in parliament.

I think there should be one legal system across the whole of the UK. The procedures for so many things are different it's just daft for a small island. You have to go about house buying, divorce, arranging wills and so many other things differently that in the long term it would be cheaper to have one system.

Kix Dec 4th 2013 9:35 am

maybe it's cos I'd love to see England as a standalone Country not tied to the likes of scotland and wales.

At least that way it would be highly unlikely the labour party would ever get to govern again.