Scaremongering?

Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:10 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scaremongering?

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Bloody Hell Mikewot.... if you deleted everybody's posts that wander off the subject, this bored would be quieter than it is now!!
Nah! The fishie goes off into lala land and has had his wrist slapped by Sue for it, so any more burbling and I delete it.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I think the point here is that it was, in real terms, a very short time ago that Europe was a pretty uncivilised and constantly warring mass of loosely bordered countries (sound familiar?). It’s only relatively recently (the past 2 or 3 generations) that there has been significant and consistent improvement. By that token can we really sit in judgement of the Middle East, or should we just sit back let them get on with f**king each other over for another couple of generations and hope they eventually get tired of it and/or wipe each other out?
Yes, agree with your summary.

Yes, we can sit and judge. We do it expertly. What would be more useful is to help, but I fear given previous and current conflicts it will be akin to raking water uphill.

The world is a different place to when Europe 'grew up'. It might take longer / be quicker / be easier / be harder for nations/regions to shed archaic rules etc.

All that aside, who are we to interfere? There is much to be said for leading by example. But if people don't want a model similar to that of Western Europe's and prefer their own way, why should we force our own attitudes and beliefs upon them?

I end up thinking we should just leave it be. But then the shit going on and killing of innocent civilians makes me think it's inhumane to just let idiots kill the general public. Then do we step in? Where does it stop? Where does it restart?

****ing nightmare. Glad I'm not PM.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:18 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

One of my friends is adamant that if the Americans, British, French (and any other countries that have a military presence here) pull out permanently including shutting down bases from the gulf and surrounding areas the region will heal itself....

My friend is European and yes, I think he is nuts! I think there would be carnage (although not straight away).

What do you guys think would happen?

Disclaimer:
I am not by any means saying that the presence of these armies is a good thing and they have more than likely made things a lot worse than they potentially would have been if the region had been left alone from the start, but what is done is done and I cannot change the past.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:28 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
One of my friends is adamant that if the Americans, British, French (and any other countries that have a military presence here) pull out permanently including shutting down bases from the gulf and surrounding areas the region will heal itself....

How far back do you go? The artificial divisions since the end of the Ottoman empire? Or are we simply talking about GW1/2 etc. etc?
If only GW1 period then I think the bloodletting will still have taken place and I doubt there will be any healing for a long long time, if ever.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:31 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
How far back do you go? The artificial divisions since the end of the Ottoman empire? Or are we simply talking about GW1/2 etc. etc?
If only GW1 period then I think the bloodletting will still have taken place and I doubt there will be any healing for a long long time, if ever.
That's what I'm saying. You cannot change the past, but if the all the foreign armies left the region tomorrow what would happen in the future?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:51 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
So what exactly have you got your knickers in a twist about this time? You agree that the definition is accurate with regard to the Middle East, and no one here is denying Europe’s history. The fact Europe has a wealth of meaningful history doesn’t mean we can’t comment on the historical or present situation in the Middle East, indeed perhaps that history makes us better placed to do so.

Are you just demonstrating the usual Middle Eastern small-minded defensiveness, and inability to take criticism of any kind without seeing it as an insult, and throwing your toys out of the pram?

And, really, excluding the Scandinavians? That betrays your lack of knowledge of European history, ever heard of the Vikings? They were a peaceful lot.

Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:59 am
Account Closed

That's what I'm saying. You cannot change the past, but if the all the foreign armies left the region tomorrow what would happen in the future?
Now Pandoras box is open, in particular Sunni versis Shi'ite, they'll kill each other until one tribe is top dog. As Scamps says should we just sit back and let them? I think it is a moral question and I am tempted to say just let them get on with it but my conscience wouldn't allow it.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:06 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Now Pandoras box is open, in particular Sunni versis Shi'ite, they'll kill each other until one tribe is top dog. As Scamps says should we just sit back and let them? I think it is a moral question and I am tempted to say just let them get on with it but my conscience wouldn't allow it.
Yep. And also I wonder who would invade who first. I mean a tiny, hyper-rich country like Qatar would be like a sitting duck wouldn't it?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Technically it's none of our business, but that doesn't wash when people are being killed for no reason. Completely ****ed up situation where Joe and Jane Average just suffer.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:54 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Technically it's none of our business...
Apart from those lines we drew in the sand.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:08 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

My friend is European and yes, I think he is nuts! I think there would be carnage (although not straight away).

Disclaimer:
I am not by any means saying that the presence of these armies is a good thing and they have more than likely made things a lot worse than they potentially would have been if the region had been left alone from the start, but what is done is done and I cannot change the past.
last time the saudi were shooting at the uae was in the 60's, the last time the uae was shooting at qatar was last week when they bombed people supported by qatar in libya in a proxy war being fought alongside the egyptians.
i think everybody is way way too sensitive and paranoid and the have guns lots and lots of them

i think it wouldnt be long until they started shooting and i think it wouldnt be too long after that that the shooting stopped because all the armies suddenly vanish as they realise there is real danger of chipping a nail and having to do some work
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:14 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

Nah, it would be mayhem if the armies left.
Israel would be the first to invade Syria and Lebanon in my opinion or the Syria / Iran / Iraq block would try and attack Israel, either or.

The wahabs I think now feel that they have stirred the hornets nest by
a. Allowing the septics to do what they did in Iraq
b. Funding the Sunnis in Syria which eventually spilled over (had to) into Iraq
c. Superimposing a sectarian war in the middle east, where in fact there really wasnt one to begin with. I mean, sure there were tensions, but most were brought on by the Shias and Sunnis grinding gears in Iraq and that too was quite a lot under control within Iraq's borders.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Exactly.

If you tickle the lips with your japs eye, you may as well stick the whole thing in. You've ****ed it already.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:36 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva

i think it wouldnt be long until they started shooting and i think it wouldnt be too long after that that the shooting stopped because all the armies suddenly vanish as they realise there is real danger of chipping a nail and having to do some work
Ain't that the truth.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:40 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva

Agreed, although I think there would be a very marked divide between those countries who could muster an effective army (ie those who already have, although I use the term effective loosely), and those who couldn't. For all the top brass having attended Sandhurst there'd be a great number of hoarse voices...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.