Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Wikiposts

Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:01 am
W10

Default Re: Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Anecdotally I'd say one in every four bars I go to. And there is one or two, not dozens in a crowd of hundreds.

How many do you see? Is it more than 1 or 2% of the clientele?

There are around - say 800,000 plus UAE nationals (according to the last census) so I'd still maintain it is a real minority.

PS - I know a bar in Dubai that lets local women in.........lets infiltrate it

Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Originally Posted by W10
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Personally I have seen nothing to suggest that anything more than a minority of UAE nationals drink. For example, have you ever seen UAE national women drinking?

And the law on alcohol is very vague. As I said, my understanding is that it is technically illegal (which is why when arrested drunk you could be charged with consuming alcohol as a criminal offence) but it is up to the individual emirate to enforce/develop their own local laws.
If you re read my post you will see that i have not quoted numbers of emiraits drinking i simply said the numbers are not known as if they do like a tipple are not likely to broadcast the fact.

You can be arrested if drunk in a public place ie, in the street, not in bars, only if you have been involved in causing a disturbance, you can be arrested if you are consuming alcohol with out a licence and of course DD