Sat Navs

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough
Default Sat Navs

Can anyone give me any idea about sat navs for the car? Advice required for both me and a friend considering buying.

I had one in the UK so have a good idea how they work etc but not sure how useful they are out here because everything is changing so much? Maps tend to be at least 2 or 3 years old even in the UK.

I was considering something off the shelf from maybe C4. They have several models which all claim they have GCC maps. Really it's for UAE, particularly AD and Dubai and maybe the odd drive to Oman. thinking is that even if it's not totally accurate it should give some idea of proximity to location and general direction. I would like to be able to mark my own locations in the mapping so I can navigate back to various offices or meeting points.

Anyone recommend good models or experiences?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sat Navs

Originally Posted by BlackCloud
Can anyone give me any idea about sat navs for the car? Advice required for both me and a friend considering buying.

I had one in the UK so have a good idea how they work etc but not sure how useful they are out here because everything is changing so much? Maps tend to be at least 2 or 3 years old even in the UK.

I was considering something off the shelf from maybe C4. They have several models which all claim they have GCC maps. Really it's for UAE, particularly AD and Dubai and maybe the odd drive to Oman. thinking is that even if it's not totally accurate it should give some idea of proximity to location and general direction. I would like to be able to mark my own locations in the mapping so I can navigate back to various offices or meeting points.

No experience...But,Garmin is almost dominating here,I think...
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived over in AD in Nov and top of my list was a SatNav. I bought a Nuvi system from Carrefour, paid 1200AED approx. It is v gd, has all the maps for D and AD and all the surrounding areas i.e Oman etc. It was money well spend. It has all the major places and hotels already pre-programmed in.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Pasanada is a name known to allPasanada is a name known to allPasanada is a name known to allPasanada is a name known to allPasanada is a name known to allPasanada is a name known to allPasanada is a name known to allPasanada is a name known to allPasanada is a name known to allPasanada is a name known to allPasanada is a name known to all

My boss used one whilst we were driving around Dubai - not sure of the system/make/model or cost but it was certainly beneficial!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:13 am
Just Joined

pete9001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, i have just spent a month going through the bloody things drove me mad, i settled for a PDA system, cost more than just sat nav but i think prob worth the extra to have everything in on place and it guides at pedestrian as well which is bonus as i can now find my way home when pissed, anyway i got the HTC TyTNII with all maps 3500 and its a right cool bit o kit
Peter
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pete9001
Hi there, i have just spent a month going through the bloody things drove me mad, i settled for a PDA system, cost more than just sat nav but i think prob worth the extra to have everything in on place and it guides at pedestrian as well which is bonus as i can now find my way home when pissed, anyway i got the HTC TyTNII with all maps 3500 and its a right cool bit o kit
Peter
Have an Ipaq. Just wondered what sat nav software this is running please?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has an ipaq and he uses Navigator 6 in it for D and AD, but I think I will buy the Nuvi system from Car4 as I can always sell it when I leave unless anyone can tell me if there is anything compatible to the TomTom Go 520 which I have just bought in UK
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:01 am

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

In Theory, both the Garmin and Nuvi (proabbly TomTom as well) have the ability to download from the internet. I've yet to find anyone here who can tell me how often they up date their map systems. So as the roads change, you should be able to downlad the'new' map. In the UK you can also download spped camera sites. Again, not sure if you can do it here.
If anyone has one, can they have a look?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

My TomTom comes with the speed cams for UK already loaded but I am having trouble finding a map for UAE compatible with the TT online. Can anyone give me any reliable websites. The TomTom site hasnt got anything.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bumpity bump

Have landed back in Al Ain and down in Dubai tonight for weekend. Have decided to buy a Nuvi and have been researching on Garmin site. Lots to choose from, can anyone recommend which model, would like the most up to date but recommendation would be good
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
My TomTom comes with the speed cams for UK already loaded but I am having trouble finding a map for UAE compatible with the TT online. Can anyone give me any reliable websites. The TomTom site hasnt got anything.
I looked a few months ago and couldn't find anything.

Surprising TT haven't jumped on to the UAE yet..
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Bumpity bump

Have landed back in Al Ain and down in Dubai tonight for weekend. Have decided to buy a Nuvi and have been researching on Garmin site. Lots to choose from, can anyone recommend which model, would like the most up to date but recommendation would be good
I got a Garmin Nuvi 200. It's nice and small, fits in a pocket. Can be used for walking as well as in a vehicle and wasn't too expensive (approx 1200AED)
It has lots of info already programmed in - hotels, areas of interest etc.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris79
I got a Garmin Nuvi 200. It's nice and small, fits in a pocket. Can be used for walking as well as in a vehicle and wasn't too expensive (approx 1200AED)
It has lots of info already programmed in - hotels, areas of interest etc.
Thanks Chris sounds exactly what I need it for. The roads change so much in Dubai particularly at least it will point us in the right direction. Will get one this weekend. I imagine it will also work in Al Ain too
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Chris sounds exactly what I need it for. The roads change so much in Dubai particularly at least it will point us in the right direction. Will get one this weekend. I imagine it will also work in Al Ain too
Yeah, works all over, works in Oman as well
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Do satnavs get people out of traffic???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.