British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Robert Burns - 250th Anniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/robert-burns-250th-anniversary-586695/)

MacScot Jan 24th 2009 2:40 pm

Robert Burns - 250th Anniversary

'Tis 250 years since Robert Burns birth tomorrow Sunday 25 th January

O' my Luve's like a red, red rose, That's newly sprung in June: O'my Luve's like the melodie, That's sweetly play'd in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass, So deep in luve am I; And I will luve thee still, my dear, Till a' the seas gang dry.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear, And the rocks melt wi' the sun; And I will luve thee still, my dear, While the sands o' life shall run.
And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve! And fare-thee-weel, a while! And I will come again, my Luve, Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!

2009 is also the Year of the Homecoming, which commences on Sunday. There will be a global gathering of the clans in Edinburgh in July.

commander Jan 24th 2009 2:49 pm

Re: Robert Burns - 250th Anniversary

The AD caledonian society burns supper is being held at the gardens of the british embassy..

The gathering in Edinburgh will be simply awesome. I'm home in July for a wedding in Arbroath Abbey, hopefully it will tie in with a trip to good ole edinburger

MacScot Jan 24th 2009 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7208139)
The AD caledonian society burns supper is being held at the gardens of the british embassy..

The gathering in Edinburgh will be simply awesome. I'm home in July for a wedding in Arbroath Abbey, hopefully it will tie in with a trip to good ole edinburger

Agree...the clan gathering and massed pipes and drums scheduled should be great. I would loved to have gone to the tattoo, which should be spectacular this year.

Went 'home' last year..Inverness and Forth William..but got eaten alive by the midges :frown:

Instead, going back to Australia (Melbourne) next week for a holiday.

The Dean Jan 24th 2009 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7208122)
'Tis 250 years since Robert Burns birth tomorrow Sunday 25 th January

O' my Luve's like a red, red rose, That's newly sprung in June: O'my Luve's like the melodie, That's sweetly play'd in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass, So deep in luve am I; And I will luve thee still, my dear, Till a' the seas gang dry.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear, And the rocks melt wi' the sun; And I will luve thee still, my dear, While the sands o' life shall run.
And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve! And fare-thee-weel, a while! And I will come again, my Luve, Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!

2009 is also the Year of the Homecoming, which commences on Sunday. There will be a global gathering of the clans in Edinburgh in July.

MacScot,

Although I have (as far as I know) not a drop of Scots blood in me, I found that curiously moving.

Did I miss the name of the singer?

commander Jan 24th 2009 3:12 pm

Mika

commander Jan 24th 2009 3:17 pm

The tattoo has got to be one of the greatest spectacles on earth, ok I'm biased but I defy anyone not to be totally awestruck by it..

Eva Jan 24th 2009 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7208161)
MacScot,

Although I have (as far as I know) not a drop of Scots blood in me, I found that curiously moving.

Did I miss the name of the singer?

That is the immediately recognisable Eddie Reader, of Fairground Attraction
Same same

with Burns's Ae Fond Kiss.....

commander Jan 24th 2009 3:35 pm

If you like Eddi Reader and her ilk, you will not get a better compilation than;

'The bird and the tree and the fish and the bell'

One of my favourite LP's..

Eva Jan 24th 2009 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7208254)
If you like Eddi Reader and her ilk, you will not get a better compilation than;

'The bird and the tree and the fish and the bell'

One of my favourite LP's..

Tis good.

'In the second city of the empire..........

commander Jan 24th 2009 3:42 pm

To try and catch the fish that wouldnae swim...

Mother Glasgow, my favourite song performed by shug and greet

The Dean Jan 24th 2009 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7208257)
Tis good.

Sorry?

Forgive my (lack of) musical history education.............

Mika or Eddie Reader??

commander Jan 24th 2009 3:44 pm

Eddi reader, eddie reader is a bloke

MacScot Jan 24th 2009 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7208257)
Tis good.

Agree with you...Glasgow....

...but I have frequently heard that Liverpool also gets this label ?

commander Jan 24th 2009 3:53 pm

For all its problems, I don't get a better feeling than when I land in Glasgow. The city centre is just heavenly..

Eva Jan 24th 2009 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7208268)
Sorry?

Forgive my (lack of) musical history education.............

Mika or Eddie Reader??

Sorry 'tis Eddi- mea culpa.

Well Dean, p'haps you should open up the Song Reflecting now and again- a whole musical education awaits ya.

Here ya go Commander, though I think Eddi does it better.
Mi piace Hue and Cry especially Violently, I Refuse and some others I can't remember at the mo.Their new stuff isn't as good imho.