Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Robert Burns - 250th Anniversary

Robert Burns - 250th Anniversary

Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:40 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Robert Burns - 250th Anniversary

'Tis 250 years since Robert Burns birth tomorrow Sunday 25 th January

O' my Luve's like a red, red rose, That's newly sprung in June: O'my Luve's like the melodie, That's sweetly play'd in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass, So deep in luve am I; And I will luve thee still, my dear, Till a' the seas gang dry.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear, And the rocks melt wi' the sun; And I will luve thee still, my dear, While the sands o' life shall run.
And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve! And fare-thee-weel, a while! And I will come again, my Luve, Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!

2009 is also the Year of the Homecoming, which commences on Sunday. There will be a global gathering of the clans in Edinburgh in July.

Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:49 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Robert Burns - 250th Anniversary

The AD caledonian society burns supper is being held at the gardens of the british embassy..

The gathering in Edinburgh will be simply awesome. I'm home in July for a wedding in Arbroath Abbey, hopefully it will tie in with a trip to good ole edinburger
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:00 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander View Post
The AD caledonian society burns supper is being held at the gardens of the british embassy..

The gathering in Edinburgh will be simply awesome. I'm home in July for a wedding in Arbroath Abbey, hopefully it will tie in with a trip to good ole edinburger
Agree...the clan gathering and massed pipes and drums scheduled should be great. I would loved to have gone to the tattoo, which should be spectacular this year.

Went 'home' last year..Inverness and Forth William..but got eaten alive by the midges

Instead, going back to Australia (Melbourne) next week for a holiday.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot View Post
'Tis 250 years since Robert Burns birth tomorrow Sunday 25 th January

O' my Luve's like a red, red rose, That's newly sprung in June: O'my Luve's like the melodie, That's sweetly play'd in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass, So deep in luve am I; And I will luve thee still, my dear, Till a' the seas gang dry.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear, And the rocks melt wi' the sun; And I will luve thee still, my dear, While the sands o' life shall run.
And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve! And fare-thee-weel, a while! And I will come again, my Luve, Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!

2009 is also the Year of the Homecoming, which commences on Sunday. There will be a global gathering of the clans in Edinburgh in July.

MacScot,

Although I have (as far as I know) not a drop of Scots blood in me, I found that curiously moving.

Did I miss the name of the singer?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:12 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Mika
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:17 pm
banned

The tattoo has got to be one of the greatest spectacles on earth, ok I'm biased but I defy anyone not to be totally awestruck by it..
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:28 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
MacScot,

Although I have (as far as I know) not a drop of Scots blood in me, I found that curiously moving.

Did I miss the name of the singer?
That is the immediately recognisable Eddie Reader, of Fairground Attraction
Same same

with Burns's Ae Fond Kiss.....
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:35 pm
banned

If you like Eddi Reader and her ilk, you will not get a better compilation than;

'The bird and the tree and the fish and the bell'

One of my favourite LP's..
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:37 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander View Post
If you like Eddi Reader and her ilk, you will not get a better compilation than;

'The bird and the tree and the fish and the bell'

One of my favourite LP's..
Tis good.

'In the second city of the empire..........
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:42 pm
banned

To try and catch the fish that wouldnae swim...

Mother Glasgow, my favourite song performed by shug and greet
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva View Post
Tis good.

Sorry?

Forgive my (lack of) musical history education.............

Mika or Eddie Reader??
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:44 pm
banned

Eddi reader, eddie reader is a bloke
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:45 pm
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by Eva View Post
Tis good.

Agree with you...Glasgow....

...but I have frequently heard that Liverpool also gets this label ?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:53 pm
banned

For all its problems, I don't get a better feeling than when I land in Glasgow. The city centre is just heavenly..
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:54 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Sorry?

Forgive my (lack of) musical history education.............

Mika or Eddie Reader??

Sorry 'tis Eddi- mea culpa.

Well Dean, p'haps you should open up the Song Reflecting now and again- a whole musical education awaits ya.

Here ya go Commander, though I think Eddi does it better.
Mi piace Hue and Cry especially Violently, I Refuse and some others I can't remember at the mo.Their new stuff isn't as good imho.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.