Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Rent Renewal - Good News

Rent Renewal - Good News

Old Aug 17th 2014, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of
Default Rent Renewal - Good News

Just a note once again to say thanks to Mikewot for his clear and concise guide to rent laws.

After last years slanging match with a halfwit of an agent, where I told them to politely to shove their rent increase where the sun doesn't shine - and won (using Mikewot's guide), they seem a little more circumspect. Unlike last year , they emailed me well before the 90 days limit with the rental increase. One simple email back and this years silly increase request was suddenly reduced to fall in line with the RERA calculator.....

Still trying it on a bit though - doubled the renewal fee this year for no adequately explained reason.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent Renewal - Good News

Originally Posted by Robajob
Still trying it on a bit though - doubled the renewal fee this year for no adequately explained reason.
Great job If everyone fought back they'd get the idea. RERA Boss says renewal fees should be the 165 it costs an agent to register Ejari online (195 if you do it yourself) plus a small admin fee. So I would suggest up to 500 Dhm is 'reasonable' (I do it myself). More than that they're taking the pee.

Interestingly the replacement for the Rental Committee, which could be swayed by whether you wore a kandura or not, are now much more hard nosed and are applying the law as it's written. They've issued several clarifications recently. Including one about 'non-renewable' contracts, which states that if there is anything in the contract which is not in line with the law (maintenance is another one) then the tenant can reject it
Tenants' right to reject Dubai rent contract - Emirates 24/7

No Immediate Eviction Even With Signed Non-Renewable Tenancy Contract | Entertainment Features | Ahlan! Live
Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Good to hear.

We 'fought' the landlord but agreed to a slight increase under the clear reasoning that we didn't want to get our notice. Fingers crossed, it hasn't since arrived, but she hasn't sorted the Ejari yet (that is a job she's doing today).

What didn't help was the whole process was done directly with the agent who rented it to us telling the landlord he can kick us out because he can get 20% more immediately. ****ing weapon.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

we got our notice but not in the correct manner. so will probably be lodging a file with RERA next March/April
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
we got our notice but not in the correct manner. so will probably be lodging a file with RERA next March/April
Keeping quiet until then? Smart.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Keeping quiet until then? Smart.
no, i told him when he put it in the new contract that it wasn't valid and that he had to do it notarized. so a nice trail of messages to show Rera
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:09 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

no, i told him when he put it in the new contract that it wasn't valid and that he had to do it notarized. so a nice trail of messages to show Rera
His problem. When he fails to notify you of any changes at least 90 days prior to your renewal date write and say that as you've had no notification you expect to renew exactly as last year, please send a contract. When he says he is expecting you to move remind him that he failed to follow the law:
Article 24 (2)

2. Landlord may demand eviction of tenant upon expiry of tenancy contract limited to the following cases:
a. If the owner wishes to demolish the property for reconstruction or to add new constructions that prevent tenant from benefiting from the leased property, provided that necessary licences are obtained.
b. If the property requires renovation or comprehensive maintenance which cannot be executed while tenant is occupying the property, provided that a technical report issued by Dubai Municipality or accredited by it is to be submitted to this effect.
c. If the owner of the property wishes to recover the property for use by him personally or by his next of kin of first degree provided that he proves that he does not own a suitable alternative property for that purpose.
d. If the owner of the property wishes to sell the leased property.
And for the purpose of clause (2) of this Article, Landlord must notify tenant with reasons for eviction at least twelve months prior to the determined date of eviction subject that such notice be sent through the Notary Public or by registered mail.

Refuse to move as it is not legal and remind him to send a new contract, tell him if he wants you out then he must raise a case with the Rental Dispute Settlement Centre. He can explain to them why he failed to follow the law and why he is trying to enforce an illegal condition on the contract.
The new RDSC are proving to be very good at enforcing the law
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:13 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Good to hear.

We 'fought' the landlord but agreed to a slight increase under the clear reasoning that we didn't want to get our notice. Fingers crossed, it hasn't since arrived, but she hasn't sorted the Ejari yet (that is a job she's doing today).

What didn't help was the whole process was done directly with the agent who rented it to us telling the landlord he can kick us out because he can get 20% more immediately. ****ing weapon.
My landlord gave us notice last year as he wanted to sell the place. He didn't follow the required process so I could have told him to do one, but honestly I was planning to move anyway after staying 3 years and watching the prices go through the roof.

According to RERA the average market rent for a 3 bedroom flat on Palm Jumeirah is 230-290K . Yeah okay then! Most landlords are asking 180-200K for a 3 bedroom in Shoreline on dubizzle (with some crazy exceptions), but they are not being taken. I actually haven't seen anyone move into our building for months. Seen lots moving out though. I guess this explains the vast number of places (12 different 3 bedroom flats in my building alone) available on dubizzle. When I moved in 3 years ago there were 3 or 4 available flats across all 20 buildings so times have definitely changed...

Anyway long story short, the market is shit (again) so landlord can't sell and therefore offered me to stay for a small premium per month taking us up to approx market rent, but not RERA levels. Happy with that really...

Re agents calling landlords when contracts are expiring I suspect that RERA are selling the contract details (or possibly giving them free) to agents. I haven't had an agent involved in my rental for the last 3 years and my landlord still gets calls from random agents whenever the lease is coming to an end...
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:29 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

pretty sure my rent will rocket to an insane level next year.

one small problem

the landlord is best buddies with MBZ in Abu Dhabi.

Currently wasting my breath trying to get a broken garage door fixed and finally managed to get hold of the landlords factor yesterday to be told he hasn't paid the contractor in 6 months and basically has no intention of doing so. Great!
This is a guy with over 500 villas in Dubai plus apartment towers and god knows what in Abu Dhabi so cash flow isnt really an issue.

Mentioned his legal responsibility to be told that this chap agreed and was sick of hearing from tenants but in all honesty the law just doesn't apply to some people and he highly recommends not pushing things for fear of the consequences and guarantee that shit still wont get fixed no matter what we try do.

Wasta, some people have more than you can counter!
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by norsk
I actually haven't seen anyone move into our building for months. Seen lots moving out though. I guess this explains the vast number of places (12 different 3 bedroom flats in my building alone) available on dubizzle.
It's interesting how there seems to be a 'fashion' about where to live. In a recent thread about Estate Agents in response to this question: "Really? There are literally tens of thousands of empty apartments and villas in Dubai at present"
Mata Hari posted this:
"Really? Really not. In the popular areas there is hardly anything decent around. Find me a villa in VH with a pool. Go on. I can tell you there is 1 on the market and it's shite. Find me a nice 2 bed in JLT near the metro, for 110,000/115,000. Please, I can rent it out tomorrow. I would say about 90 percent of what is on the internet isn't actually available. Get me a nice upgraded Meadows villa with a pool. Sure, if you go to Remraam or JVC or the Villa, then there is availability, but that's not where people want to be."

So there are obviously some 'hotspots' and The Palm has fallen out of favour.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:00 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
It's interesting how there seems to be a 'fashion' about where to live. In a recent thread about Estate Agents in response to this question: "Really? There are literally tens of thousands of empty apartments and villas in Dubai at present"
Mata Hari posted this:
"Really? Really not. In the popular areas there is hardly anything decent around. Find me a villa in VH with a pool. Go on. I can tell you there is 1 on the market and it's shite. Find me a nice 2 bed in JLT near the metro, for 110,000/115,000. Please, I can rent it out tomorrow. I would say about 90 percent of what is on the internet isn't actually available. Get me a nice upgraded Meadows villa with a pool. Sure, if you go to Remraam or JVC or the Villa, then there is availability, but that's not where people want to be."

Absolutely. Palm used to be pretty good value when I first moved there. Today it is definitely not, although neither are the alternatives. JLT used to be really cheap, but now they are asking 190K+ for 3 bedroom flats on the 45th floor. Another location which seems to be on the downward spiral is Springs...There are bargains to be had if you can deal with the slightly doll-house feel.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

His problem. When he fails to notify you of any changes at least 90 days prior to your renewal date write and say that as you've had no notification you expect to renew exactly as last year, please send a contract. When he says he is expecting you to move remind him that he failed to follow the law:
Article 24 (2)

2. Landlord may demand eviction of tenant upon expiry of tenancy contract limited to the following cases:
a. If the owner wishes to demolish the property for reconstruction or to add new constructions that prevent tenant from benefiting from the leased property, provided that necessary licences are obtained.
b. If the property requires renovation or comprehensive maintenance which cannot be executed while tenant is occupying the property, provided that a technical report issued by Dubai Municipality or accredited by it is to be submitted to this effect.
c. If the owner of the property wishes to recover the property for use by him personally or by his next of kin of first degree provided that he proves that he does not own a suitable alternative property for that purpose.
d. If the owner of the property wishes to sell the leased property.
And for the purpose of clause (2) of this Article, Landlord must notify tenant with reasons for eviction at least twelve months prior to the determined date of eviction subject that such notice be sent through the Notary Public or by registered mail.

Refuse to move as it is not legal and remind him to send a new contract, tell him if he wants you out then he must raise a case with the Rental Dispute Settlement Centre. He can explain to them why he failed to follow the law and why he is trying to enforce an illegal condition on the contract.
The new RDSC are proving to be very good at enforcing the law
yes I know
we may move anyway as we are looking for a bigger place. We may look at Al Ghadeer but that's dependent on the Mrs passing her driving test. otherwise it may be a case of looking for a 2 bed in the Greens as we like living in the area.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:13 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Mata Hari posted this:

I would say for the past 6 months 90% of my clients have been looking at the Marina. Can't remember anyone looking or asking for an apartment on the Palm. I still struggle to find nice stock in Marina, especially 1 and 2 beds in the nicer buildings.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:18 am
Account Closed

Ah, a non-renewable?

We had to explain that didn't make a jot of difference to our landlord at renewal time...
Old Aug 19th 2014, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Update - queried the renewal fee by email yesterday, asking for an explanation of how they justified the increase.

Got to the agents office today to write out the rent cheques, and lo and behold the renewal fee had dropped back to the same rate as last year, back into the 'reasonable' category.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.