Rent Issues!

Old Jun 23rd 2013, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rent Issues!

Guy's a quick question!

Under any circumstances is it allowed for a Landlord to Turn off your AC??

Sadly my friend finds himself in a difficult position, He was unemployed for 9months and fell behind with the rent. Now he has caught up, His Landlord Disconnected his AC back in November when he paid half a rent cheque. As of last month he was upto date again.

Today i went with him to the Agents Office and the guy there stated the LL didn't want to reconnect his AC and would go to the rent committee to have him evicted. I've never had any dealings with Rent problems here in Dubai. Was wondering if anyone here had had any such issues.

Thanks Chris
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 9:16 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent Issues!

Your mate has exposed himself to eviction by failing to pay the rent, that's against the rules. Under normal circumstances the LL cannot instruct DEWA to switch off services but I'm guessing that in this case it's district cooling under the control of the building management. There is nothing in the laws about this situation. RERA followed by rental committee is all I can suggest.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 9:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris_m
Guy's a quick question!
He is?
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikewot
Your mate has exposed himself to eviction by failing to pay the rent, that's against the rules. Under normal circumstances the LL cannot instruct DEWA to switch off services but I'm guessing that in this case it's district cooling under the control of the building management. There is nothing in the laws about this situation. RERA followed by rental committee is all I can suggest.
So he is pretty much screwed i guess??

Thanks Chris
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 9:29 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris_m
So he is pretty much screwed i guess??
There are not many circumstances where they can evict but failing to pay the rent for 30 days is one. Might just be worth his while banging out whilst he can as I doubt the AC issue is going to be a quick fix. In any case it's sounds very messy so getting the deposit back will be problematic.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikewot
There are not many circumstances where they can evict but failing to pay the rent for 30 days is one. Might just be worth his while banging out whilst he can as I doubt the AC issue is going to be a quick fix. In any case it's sounds very messy so getting the deposit back will be problematic.
Worst thing is the Agent guy was helpful enough but it seems to be his bosses are putting pressure on him.

Oh well guess i'll be having another house guest for a while!
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes in order to get his rent, you are defaulting.... does he pay his own bills? or is this the chiller etc for the building?